Playing Card Games

kiakaha

I like getting together with a bunch of mates and playing texas hold em, not for money though, just for fun/laughs and a good ribbing.

Is this legal to do in a venue such as a pub (not for real money, just dummy chips) ?

I would suspect not, because although there is no money involved, the "paraphernalia" required is illegal (chips, dealer button ,table cloth etc...) , but i don't know for sure.

It's not complicated kiakaha.

If you're a regular citizen or visitor, it's illegal.

If you're a pot-bellied pig dressed in a brown rayon suit and shades that the prison guard in Cool Hand Luke would be proud of, and who spends all his days sneering at drivers while scratching his balls, then it's no problem at all.

This is a coinicidence. I was just thinking the same this morning.

As I understand it, any form of gambling is illegal and this would suggest even if it was not for monetary gain.

So, poker would be pretty much a no no. Is that right?

What about games such as Bridge or Gin?

Cheers

LF

As I understand it, any form of gambling is illegal and this would suggest even if it was not for monetary gain.

I guess it depends how thai law defines "gambling", and I dont have access to the relevant legislation.This is what I'm trying to find out.

I would not play any card game in a public place here. Even "Patience" ...Someone might take it upon themselves to call the cops, just to instigate a bit of drama and drop you in the shit. And once the BIB get of their fat <deleted> to investigate, then someone will have to put their hand in their pocket...

Cheers

LF

It's illegal. The police will assume you are gambling. My wife plays gin rummy. When the warning call comes in from the bottom of the soi, that the police are on their way, they stop playing. Although in her case they are gambling.

really would like a game of hold em though arrghh! i miss poker!!

There are plenty of places you can get a game if you ask around subtly :D

I suppose bringing in a pack of cards (if customs caught you) is illegal.

Not 100% sure. As I said I 'believe' it was illegal, mainly due to the clandestine nature of the transaction. Whether they deem possession illegal, or just use, I don't know I'm afraid (sounds like a serious drugs crime :o )

I remember on my first holiday to Thailand some 6 years ago, me and four mates decided to have a game of hold 'em beside the swimming pool one afternoon. We had brought cards and chips etc, and the Thai staff were amazed. They kept coming over every few minutes, looking on in amazement and laughing, we just assumed they didn't know the game.

We soon attracted a fairly large crowd of Thai's and tourists alike. It was only a few weeks later we discovered it was illegal, after a daily afternoon card school by the pool!

I have a memory of reading somewhere that as a tourist you were allowed to bring one set of playing cards for your own use etc etc. while in Thailand.

That said I play various simple card games with a niece using her Japanese 'Magic Death Warriors' (or some such name) trading cards - she uses the color and super power sub-set etc as if they were suits and as picture cards etc. It took me a while to work out the process but we can play quite quickly now and I don't always loose!

you can get decks of cards in Carrefour, b400+ for plastic cards in hard plastic case. I bought a deck for myself and a friend wanted me to pick one up for him, I did, his deck had 2 cards missing and all the faces of the cards had a faint red mark the size of pencil erasure on them.

No he did not take them back, TIT, nobody would listen. Fortunately the deck had 2 jokers that he marked up for the 2 missing cards.

when i went to thailand with anon for our marriage in the village, my daughter brought with her a deck of cards for an israeli card game that is similar to crazy eights or some such children's card game, as a present for the kids and something to do with the kids ... everyone kept telling us it was illegal to play cards... the deck isnt even a regular deck but some special deck just for this game (go back three, skip over one etc)...

the only time playing real cards or games like hi lo is 'legal' is at a funeral...

bina

Playing cards are not illegal. The government actually holds the playing card monopoly. Playing cards are also routinely used for fortune telling.

Playing cards at a funeral is no more legal or illegal than at any other time. The difference is that the authorities generally turn a blind eye (or have a stake in the proceeds) with regards to any illegal card game at a funeral.

I recall seeing a sign in Mae Sai that said "Only 1200 playing card custom free".

Normally you pay around 400 baht/deck in Thailand and only 20 Baht across the border.

I think it's some sort of "playing" tax as for tobacco and liquor.

Yep - most 7-11 stores sell them. Often they are kept behind the counter or otherwise out of site, but they do not hesitate to sell them. This would suggest that they are not illegal to possess in Thailand.

Well this was my point, why would they keep them behind the counter and out of sight if they were legal?

I don't know the answer, just an observation.

Cheers

LF

Thailand has it's own Bridge association and the club in Pattaya is well-attended (www.pattayabridge.com). I would guess that no money involved = not gambling.

Yep - most 7-11 stores sell them. Often they are kept behind the counter or otherwise out of site, but they do not hesitate to sell them. This would suggest that they are not illegal to possess in Thailand.

Well this was my point, why would they keep them behind the counter and out of sight if they were legal?

I don't know the answer, just an observation.

Playing cards are not illegal and 7/11 don't hide them.

Don't play for chips in a public place - you can be(and I have been) arrested. I didn't get proscuted.

The police told me that even if you have a tally sheet, they can arrest you. If they take you to court, you will be found guilty. It comes down to your negotiaing and persuasive skills. Like many other offences, always try to settle it before they take it to the police station.

Lots and lots of Thai gamble on cards but not so much poker - I wish they did. :o

u guys are so silly of course playing cards are not illegal. games which dont involve money changing hands is not gambling.

people gamble on football do you think football is illegal in thailand?

try to use your brains if you can.

There seems to be more hearsay and personal opinion, than solid fact on this thread.

Can someone here point me to an online resource for the relevant thai legislation(or at least the name of the Act)...it's ok if its in thai script, i can read it.

I'm really interested in what the thai "legal definition" of gambling is, not what peoples feelings are or what the street level/police "interpretations" might be.

Please watch the replies guys...

From the Forum Rules:

4) Gambling or betting topics created by members are not allowed on the forum.

what about topics that are questions about whether or not a topic is a gambling or betting topic (as per the definition of "gambling" under current thai legislation, that I'm still unable to find out an answer to) :o