Playing Card Games

kiakaha

I believe that just having a deck of cards is illegal, and classed as gambling 'paraphenalia'. When I bought some cards a few months ago it was an under the counter transaction, and they were bloody expensive at 400 bt.

Alternatively, the seller may have been creating some drama to justify the high price.

Please watch the replies guys...

From the Forum Rules:

4) Gambling or betting topics created by members are not allowed on the forum.

what about topics that are questions about whether or not a topic is a gambling or betting topic (as per the definition of "gambling" under current thai legislation, that I'm still unable to find out an answer to) :o

Kind of a conundrum, no? This appropriateness of this thread being a matter of difficult interpretation the difficulty of interpretation of the legalities of the activity in question. A bit of a Russian doll type of thing. The funniest quote so far is NoSpeakIt's didactic (and simplistic):

u guys are so silly of course playing cards are not illegal. games which dont involve money changing hands is not gambling.

people gamble on football do you think football is illegal in thailand?

try to use your brains if you can.

I've been running a biz here for 5 years and I question the appropriate legality and means of doing the things I do EVERY day. Wish everything were so clear when the Immigration Guys/Labor Guys need paperwork/fees or when BiB show up.

Edited by calibanjr.

Chips are essentially sold by the "house" who guarantees the pay outs. If there is no one acting as guarantor and holding a bunch of money to exchange for chips at the end of a game then it's not gambling. But are you ready to try to explain the situation to the coppers? You'd be safer if you just kept those kinds of activities, with or without money, behind closed doors.