Importing Car As Parts

mijan24

post-1626-1217602414.jpgpost-1626-1217602414.jpgImporting a car - shell and all individual components as parts - all used - what import duties will this attract??

I have read all or most of and agree with do not bring your car to Thailand.

But what about the above scenario - This is a complete car, in bits ready to put back together.

All thoughts and comments are welcome - It is also the intention of the proposer of this concept to seek advice from the Mini Club of Thailand.

Not talking illegal, talking how and can it be done legally? At minimum import cost?

post-1626-1217602485.jpg

post-1626-1217602576.jpg

Edited by mijan24

There was a news story not so long ago where an expensive sports car was squashed by a steamroller. It seems gangs were importing cars as parts to avoid duty.

At a guess as customs are aware this is already happening I’d be surprised if you would save on duty importing it in bits.

Edited by Farma

I am not totally familiar with the Thai customs laws, but the situation in some other countries is as follows:

Where something is disassembled, and imported as parts on the same vessel eg all the parts packed into a container, Customs has the ability to notionally assemble the parts, and charge duty according the the identity of the assembled equipment - even if it is not 100% complete.

If you were to progressively import the parts on a number of ships over a period of time, you would be (theoretically) charged the duty on the individual parts.

They won't let you import the body as pictured. My friend owns a wrecking yard and has to have the cars he imports cut in half in order to import them as parts.

Can you put me in touch with your friend as I want to get someone to import me a 1/2 cut Subaru

Yes you can cut it in half and put it together again. They use to do this many years ago. But how can you get the registration paper legally???

Finaly you have a car but no papers and you can't get a regitration without the correct documents from the custom, unless you usine papers. Vin number and Engine number form another vehicle. But this is illegall and you can get in deap sh.....

I can see why you'd bring in a mini like that. I've seen only ones here for 800,000 baht. But still you'd pay the import tax on what it would be worth in Thailand, not in the UK or elsewhere. I ownded a mini in australia and let it go for 400 dollars before I cam here. It wasn't in such bad condition either! Either way, it didn't like wet weather at all, and used to get water in the distributor. I don't think it would be worth it to have one here, not when you can buy a small new car for less.

I cut in half and welded back together car poses a serious safety issue!!!

How much is your life and the life of innocent passengers/bystanders worth to you???

L

Totally agree with this, however, the major dangers are when chassis are "sliced" and then re welded (how many vehicles have you seen here crabbing) In my distant memory I seem to remember a mini does not have a chassis but two different sub frames ! So possibly a Mini may be able to have body work sliced and then reattached

Thanks guys Yes Number Plates as the Dr says back to the drawing board, not beaten just having a breather in between rounds.

Getting number plates no problems getting legal number plates would be the problem - a bit off subject but had to get some made up recently almost identical to the legally issued ones missing the little stamp you will find located lower rh side on white part of the plate and missing the ongoing serial number that appears on the back of the plate. But colours correct Thai letter & correct Roman numerals plus the stamp across the bottom in this case saying khon kaen.

Edited by mijan24

• 2 weeks later...

A wealthy friend imported an Australian sports car from England to Thailand a few years ago. Didn't do his homework 1st. You need a residency certificate to register it.

After many months and greasing many palms with a LOT of baht, he managed to get it out of Laem Chebang & to his home in Jomtien.

Having since employed several lawyers, both straight & otherwise, & having spent many many 1000's more bht, its still sits in his garage unregistered.

Isn't there a moratorium on importing western vehicles at present?

The import of used cars is prohibited. Period. VERY few exceptions in the books that do not work out in real life.

Bringing in cars in parts would work, I never heard about the cutting the body in two halves thing, but the Thai customs never cease to surprise me.

If you put all the parts back together into one car, you cannot get it registered as other posters pointed out before.

Just forget about it and buy a Corrolla.....that's what they want you to do anyways....

lingnoi34:I cut in half and welded back together car poses a serious safety issue!!! How much is your life and the life of innocent passengers/bystanders worth to you???

Hi there, if the job is done properly there is no reason the finished product won't be as strong or stronger than the original. I have done quite a few of these jobs myself......in Oz not LOS.