Smart Purse - Can It Be Pin Code Protected?

I was given a 'Smart Purse' Visa card as my Club Yamaha membership card when I bought a bike recently. The instructions are all in Thai so I've been trying to figure out how to use. I can put cash on it at 7-11 and spend with it just like using a normal Visa card ..... but it has no PIN Code or password protection, so it's not really any advantage over a pocket full of cash?

Is it possible to set up a PIN or any other security controls?

Thanks for any clues on what I can do with it.

I'm pretty sure it can't. Lose it and it's just like losing cash. Website here http://www.thaismartcard.co.th/home/ English option available :o

The whole point of the smart purse is as a cash replacement for micro-purchases. No mucking around with cash and change when you want gum or a pack of ciggies, just touch-n-go :D

IF they get it right (TiT) then theoretically you should be able to use it on the Skytrain and Metro, maybe for taxis and parking (not implemented yet).

Octopus in Hongkong works like this and works very well too. Ride the bus, metro or ferries, buy stuff at the mini-mart or supermarket, even photo-booths take it (and not cash). There are actually more Octopus cards in circulation than there are people in Hongkong so they're obviously doing something right.

Edited by Crossy

Money in your own hands can be invested, and hopefully earn more money. Buying a money (gift) card is silly, because instead of your money working for you, it is working for the company that sold the card.

My advice to you is to cash out the card.