O-a Ret Ext Renewal Decision?

What would you do in this situation?

I currently live in Korat. I need to return to the US to take care of "several" upcoming family events I need to attend to. My O-A Ret extension(2nd one) expires on the 19th of Sept. I had planned to get a new extension at the first of the month, go to the US for one month and return. But now I find my stay in the US will be a lot longer than I had counted on lasting all the way to the middle of Feb. (4 months... things happen) It's easier and cheaper just to stay than fly back an forth.

Option One:

(My current plan) not to extend it now, but go just before it expires, spend the time I need there, come back on a "Tourist Visa", get the necessary paperwork in Bangkok (proof of income, bank statements, etc), go to Immigration in Korat and re-apply for my extension again this time with a multi-entry. I'll still have my bank accounts here but not much will be in them for 4 months. Considering my O-A Ret Visa has already been approved once and these are merely extensions, will it be approved? Will my new extension date also change?

Option two:

Get my extension ahead of time and then try to to explain a year later why I left for so long and didn't put money into the bank each month.

Option three:

Re-apply all over again in the States and start anew.

I plan on talking asking Immigration on my next 90 day and see what they say. But I'd like some ideas from the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

I currently live in Korat. I need to return to the US to take care of "several" upcoming family events I need to attend to. My O-A Ret extension(2nd one) expires on the 19th of Sept. I had planned to get a new extension at the first of the month, go to the US for one month and return. But now I find my stay in the US will be a lot longer than I had counted on lasting all the way to the middle of Feb. (4 months... things happen) It's easier and cheaper just to stay than fly back an forth.

Option One:

(My current plan) not to extend it now, but go just before it expires, spend the time I need there, come back on a "Tourist Visa", get the necessary paperwork in Bangkok (proof of income, bank statements, etc), go to Immigration in Korat and re-apply for my extension again this time with a multi-entry. I'll still have my bank accounts here but not much will be in them for 4 months. Considering my O-A Ret Visa has already been approved once and these are merely extensions, will it be approved? Will my new extension date also change?

Option two:

Get my extension ahead of time and then try to to explain a year later why I left for so long and didn't put money into the bank each month.

Option three:

I plan on talking asking Immigration on my next 90 day and see what they say. But I'd like some ideas from the experts here.

Thanks in advance.

Option 1.

You can do it this way if you want. Providing you have all the income/savings proof.

Option 2.

This would be no problem providing you get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration. You do not have to put money in the bank every month.

Option 3.

Again this is possible.

It is really what suits you best.

You are lucky in that you will be dealling with Korat Immigration. Go and have a chat with them. They are very helpful.

Am I missing something?

You say your retirement visa expires on the 19th of Sept. and your original plan was to apply for your extention on the 1st which I assume you mean September. The plan was to stay in the US for 1 month then return but that has now changed to 4 months with the return next February.

Provided I understand correctly, I see no problem with your orignal plan provided you also get a single or multi entry permit when you apply for your retirement visa renewal.

Am I missing something?

You say your retirement visa expires on the 19th of Sept. and your original plan was to apply for your extention on the 1st which I assume you mean September. The plan was to stay in the US for 1 month then return but that has now changed to 4 months with the return next February.

Provided I understand correctly, I see no problem with your orignal plan provided you also get a single or multi entry permit when you apply for your retirement visa renewal.

I do have plenty of time so at least I'm not rushed to make my final decision. A multiple I would get if i renew it in the first week of September. If I let it "expire" and then return, it is my understanding I can get an extension renewed upon return as long as I did it with at least 21 days remaining on the tourist visa of the first 30 day visa but I don't know the time you can be gone. Then the question is, will the new expiration date be 1 year from the "original" date or from the new date I applied? If it is the later, then I don't lose the 4 months I'm gone. How long I can stay away is probably up to the Immigration Officer I speak to unless some one knows for certain. I'm trying to place myself in a position where I have no pressure returning. In the end I may need to re-apply all over again. Some this hinges in part on a gravely ill relative, for which I will need to settle their estate and you can't set a time line for death. That's my situation so if anyone can add some words of wisdom it would help.

Thanks again.

I'm going through a similar set of challenges right now.

For your situation, it looks as though your first option is viable. That way, you're not using up 4 months of a 1 year visa while being in the States. Plus, can you do the 90 day 'renewal' while in the States?

Also, if you get a double entry tourist visa in the States, then that will give a few added months before you need to apply again for your 1 year type O visa.

This visa renewal biz is generally a Gordian knot. Too bad Thai imm doesn't have some fair-minded people making policy that would be easier for farang. As a group, we bring in by far the largest chunk of outside revenue, and for that we're forced to scurry to borders every few months, and are continually reminded that we're perpetual outsiders. Now, if you were from China (or had Asian features) ..... you could get a Thai citizen ID card in a few years without breaking a sweat.

Am I missing something?

I do have plenty of time so at least I'm not rushed to make my final decision. A multiple I would get if i renew it in the first week of September. If I let it "expire" and then return, it is my understanding I can get an extension renewed upon return as long as I did it with at least 21 days remaining on the tourist visa of the first 30 day visa but I don't know the time you can be gone. Then the question is, will the new expiration date be 1 year from the "original" date or from the new date I applied? If it is the later, then I don't lose the 4 months I'm gone. How long I can stay away is probably up to the Immigration Officer I speak to unless some one knows for certain. I'm trying to place myself in a position where I have no pressure returning. In the end I may need to re-apply all over again. Some this hinges in part on a gravely ill relative, for which I will need to settle their estate and you can't set a time line for death. That's my situation so if anyone can add some words of wisdom it would help.

Thanks again.

Its my understanding that if you do not apply for extention of your current retirement visa and let it expire you will be starting the process all over with new dates. From my point of view this is a bad thing for one reason. What if they change the 800k (monthly 65k) to a higher amount at the first of next year. With a current retirement visa you most likely would be grandfathered in at the old requiement. I'm not saying this would happen but its something to think about.

Option One:

Option two:

Option three:

Thanks in advance.

I'd vote for OPTION TWO (2) definitely.  Not sure why, but I just think having a string of continous Non-O retirement extensions might, just might, be handy some time in the future.  Who knows, the rules might change again and you could be grandfathered.

With the other options you break the chain and while getting a NEW extention surely won't be a problem for you, the chain has been broken.

FYI, I'm grandfathered on the pre-Oct 1998 rule, only need baht 200,000 in the bank for the three months, handy.  Rule can change again.

Mac

"Then the question is, will the new expiration date be 1 year from the "original" date or from the new date I applied? If it is the later, then I don't lose the 4 months I'm gone."

Assuming you are talking about option One:

You will be applying for a whole new non-immigrant O visa after you return and ultimately 60+ days later an extension to stay based on retirement so the renewal date will be one year from the expiration date of your new non immigrant O.

There is no stipulation about how long you must be in-country on a retirement extension to stay.

You mention income verification so I assume you qualify based on annual income. The balance of funds in Thailand or any activity in that account while you are gone therefore is N/A.

"For your situation, it looks as though your first option is viable. That way, you're not using up 4 months of a 1 year visa while being in the States. Plus, can you do the 90 day 'renewal' while in the States? "

If he chose to renew before he left he would not be required to do a 90 day report while out of the country. That assumes he had a re-entry permit upon departure. Leaving and re-entering would start the 90 day reporting requirement all over again based on his date of re-entry.

~WISteve

You guys are great! You're giving me some good points to think about. Not breaking the chain is smart too. I'll repost after I talk to the people in Korat. Why not ask the people who make the final decision right?

...I plan on talking asking Immigration on my next 90 day and see what they say. ...

That's the best thing to do.

While immigration generally want to see applications for extensions not earlier than 30 days before the end of the permission to stay I have seen posts by members whose applications were accepted earlier in exceptional circumstances similar to yours. When you go and see immigration bring a note about your planned travel dates with you or if you already have your ticket or a confirmed reservation, bring that. The officers at Korat, I read in a very recent other topic, are friendly and helpful.

Incidentally, there is no requirement to transfer a certain amount of money to Thailand every month and I have seen no post saying that Korat is asking for this. It is about proof of income (embassy letter) or proof of money in the bank (bank book and bank letter), not about monthly remittances to Thailand.

--

Maestro

There really is no best option. Just think your self lucky that you have 3.

Personally I would do 2. I would then know my fate rather than worrying about the future. But that's me.

Plus it will only cost you 1,900 Baht and 1,000 for the Re Entry Permit.

Probably best to go along with what Korat are most happy with.

Edited by Lite Beer

Personally I see no point in Starting over nor in discussing with Immigration Officers.

Just carry out your next extension as if you are staying here - Option 2

Cos the two "worries" you expressed about this option do not exist.

Starting over will be more complex than a simple extension

and runs the risk of Financial requirements being increased

and you losiing out on Grandfathering.

Whats the "Big Deal" of "Losing" 4 months?

that seems to be what you consider the only "downside"

to doing your usual extension.

Bill

> Incidentally, there is no requirement to transfer a certain amount of money to Thailand every month and I have seen no post >saying that Korat is asking for this. It is about proof of income (embassy letter) or proof of money in the bank (bank book and bank >letter), not about monthly remittances to Thailand.

Interesting, because when I was in Phuket, they make it sound like you need to. They check every month of your bankbook. Then criticize your for any deficiencies.

Everyone, good advice and all points well taken. Thanks much. Interestingly just after my ext. expires my income goes up a notch or two and it would be nice to have that additional "padding" in my back pocket with the baht rate constantly changing. But I'm not going to worry about it, life's too short. My Immigration Officer lives in the same housing tract as I do. I never called him now wish I had earlier. He gave me his phone number so I guess I'll give him a call. Maybe a neighborly beer too.