90 Day O Visa

Yes, absolutely. If you meet the requirements for the extension of stay based on retirement (see paragraph 7.21 of the Royal Thai Police Order No. 606/2549), with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay go to your local immigration office in Thailand, apply for a change of visa to non-immigrant visa (cost 2,000 Baht), then apply for your annual extension of stay for retirement (cost 1,900 Baht).

--

Maestro

Yes, absolutely. If you meet the requirements for the extension of stay based on retirement (see paragraph 7.21 of the Royal Thai Police Order No. 606/2549), with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay go to your local immigration office in Thailand, apply for a change of visa to non-immigrant visa (cost 2,000 Baht), then apply for your annual extension of stay for retirement (cost 1,900 Baht).

--

Maestro

That certainly makes things handier.

Thanks

Maestro, if you did it that way and got your O visa in Thailand, would the standard way be to wait until 30 days or less before the expiry of that O visa to apply for the retirement extension, just as if you got the O visa outside Thailand?

It used to be that the immigration office let you apply for the annual extension during the same visit when you got your change of visa but this was when the one-year extension was counted from the date of arrival in Thailand. Nowadays, the annual extension is counted from the expiration of the 90-day permission to stay based on the non-immigrant visa to which you have changed and from posts I have seen they make you come back for the application for extension during the last 30 days of this 90-day permission to stay.

--

Maestro

Interesting, thanks Maestro.

A followup for us repeat extenders (sounds like a minor crime), suppose you are already here on an extension and have a new extension denied for lack of money seasoning.

Is there anything to stop you from applying for the new O right away without even the need to leave Thailand, assuming the new O timing would allow enough time to season your money to get the new extension at the end of the new O? I had assumed in such a case, you would at least have to do at least a 30 day stamp run.

Edited by Jingthing

I don’t think so. You see, being on an annual extension of stay for retirement or to live with Thai wife you would have no basis for a change of visa to non-immigrant. Such change of visa can be made if your current permission to stay is based on entry into Thailand without a visa (visa-exemption program available to the nationals of some countries) or with a tourist visa.

--

Maestro

--

Maestro

1. In this case, is the non-immigrant visa good for 90 days after you recieve it or from the original date of entry?

2. Then, can I apply for a multi entry annual extension? What is the fee?

3. If I happen to not be in country at the time of the annual extension time, can I notify immigration some other way or will I have to start all over again?

1. From the end of the current permission to stay.

2. The change of visa is always a change to the equivalent of a single-entry non-immigrant visa (fee 2,000 Baht) and is available only if the applicant meets the requirements for an annual extension of stay, except that the requirement for seasoning of funds in the bank, where applicable, will need to be met only on the date of the subsequent application for extension.

3. You will have to start all over again. There have been cases where in exceptional circumstances an immigration office accepted an application for annual extension earlier than 30 days before the expiration of the permission to stay, and this avenue should certainly be explored when the need arises.

--

Maestro

1. From the end of the current permission to stay.

2. The change of visa is always a change to the equivalent of a single-entry non-immigrant visa (fee 2,000 Baht) and is available only if the applicant meets the requirements for an annual extension of stay, except that the requirement for seasoning of funds in the bank, where applicable, will need to be met only on the date of the subsequent application for extension.

3. You will have to start all over again. There have been cases where in exceptional circumstances an immigration office accepted an application for annual extension earlier than 30 days before the expiration of the permission to stay, and this avenue should certainly be explored when the need arises.

--

Maestro

I am unclear on point 2.

In my case, I will need to travel out of Thailand each 90 days or so for approximately 90 days. My location outside of Thailand will make it impossible to obtain a 3 month visa each time I come back. The 800,000 will be in the bank the entire time. Is it possible to apply for a re-entry visa before I leave?

I guess I am trying to circumvent the 2,000 Bt fee everytime I come back.

I do not have a Thai spouse and I have a US passport if this helps.

...In my case...

I believe you have not stated your case, at least not in this thread, and therefore I regrettably cannot answer your question.

--

Maestro

Considering that the seasoned money will always be in place, am I, or am I not, able to travel out and back into Thailand while on a retirement extension without reapplying for another retirement extension each time I return?

...In my case...

I believe you have not stated your case, at least not in this thread, and therefore I regrettably cannot answer your question.

--

Maestro

Considering that the seasoned money will always be in place, am I, or am I not, able to travel out and back into Thailand while on a retirement extension without reapplying for another retirement extension each time I return?

It is not really clear what you mean but once you have your Retirement Extension you can get a Multi Re Entry Permit (3,800 Baht). This enables you to come and go as many times as you wish during your 1 year extension.