Lg Phone Wrecks My Marriage!

kakalai

Phone fails in Bangkok then works on return home!

Here's the story:

I flew to Bangkok for 3 days in order to get paperwork allowing marriage. While there I get a text from the fiance asking why she can't call me. I try to call her but can't. The phone seems to reset. I can't call anyone. I try calling my phone from my friend's but can't. I try my DTAC sim in my friends Nokia and that works: I can make and receive calls. I try my friend's AIS sim in my LG KG200 and that doesn't work. For 3 days my phone can send and receive texts but can't make calls.

When I try to call it says "Calling" as normal while trying to connect then, when the other phone should start ringing and my phone say "Alerting", it just powers off as if the battery had become disconnected. After about 15 seconds it lights up again and says "Searching" for a signal and is soon back to normal but without the song and dance of a regular power on. Signal strength was good and battery good. I even tried it while plugged into the charger with the same result.

When I got to the new BKK airport to fly home the phone started working normally again and has been fine since. As you can imagine, this is a bit hard for the Mrs to believe.

Questions:

1. Anyone had this happen to them or heard of this happen to anyone else?

2. Any of you tech wizzes have any idea how this could happen?

Phone fails in Bangkok then works on return home!

Here's the story:

I flew to Bangkok for 3 days in order to get paperwork allowing marriage. While there I get a text from the fiance asking why she can't call me. I try to call her but can't. The phone seems to reset. I can't call anyone. I try calling my phone from my friend's but can't. I try my DTAC sim in my friends Nokia and that works: I can make and receive calls. I try my friend's AIS sim in my LG KG200 and that doesn't work. For 3 days my phone can send and receive texts but can't make calls.

When I try to call it says "Calling" as normal while trying to connect then, when the other phone should start ringing and my phone say "Alerting", it just powers off as if the battery had become disconnected. After about 15 seconds it lights up again and says "Searching" for a signal and is soon back to normal but without the song and dance of a regular power on. Signal strength was good and battery good. I even tried it while plugged into the charger with the same result.

When I got to the new BKK airport to fly home the phone started working normally again and has been fine since. As you can imagine, this is a bit hard for the Mrs to believe.

Questions:

1. Anyone had this happen to them or heard of this happen to anyone else?

2. Any of you tech wizzes have any idea how this could happen?

I am not a tech wiz, but it did happened to me too. Display indicates "calling" but actually not. But I am using a PDA phone, so with a phone call to technical support, I just needed to re-boot the phone. So if you're using a PDA phone, just re-boot the software.

I try calling my phone from my friend's but can't. I try my DTAC sim in my friends Nokia and that works: I can make and receive calls. I try my friend's AIS sim in my LG KG200 and that doesn't work. For 3 days my phone can send and receive texts but can't make calls.

this story does not make sense.

Why didnt you call your missus on your friends phone or any other public phone........ or didnt you notice her absence over those 3 days :o

I try calling my phone from my friend's but can't. I try my DTAC sim in my friends Nokia and that works: I can make and receive calls. I try my friend's AIS sim in my LG KG200 and that doesn't work. For 3 days my phone can send and receive texts but can't make calls.

Why didnt you call your missus on your friends phone or any other public phone........ or didnt you notice her absence over those 3 days :o

Or buy a 1500 baht used Nokia from a street vendor?

Or a 960 Baht new one from Tesco Lotus or Carrefour, that does nothing but <gasp> make and receive calls, if you can live without a MP3/Camera/Video/Movieplayer/Radio/GPRS/EDGE/Game/Touchscreen/Gesture recognizing/200GB/Ironing/vacuum cleaning gadget that has trouble making actual calls that is..

It does have a flashlight though...

A couple of very remote possibilities.

1. Internal loose battery connection. I’ve had similar symptoms in a Nokia 6230, when phone laying flat sending sms’s it was ok, but up against my ear the connection would break.

2. “Own number sending “selected off. Some countries or phone services require this selected on to make calls.

Both possibilities don’t explain why the phone is working problem free since or why it worked again at the airport.

Or a 960 Baht new one from Tesco Lotus or Carrefour, that does nothing but <gasp> make and receive calls, if you can live without a MP3/Camera/Video/Movieplayer/Radio/GPRS/EDGE/Game/Touchscreen/Gesture recognizing/200GB/Ironing/vacuum cleaning gadget that has trouble making actual calls that is..

It does have a flashlight though...

There is that...

I have no problem with a PDA type phone....and the more connectivity options the better. But I do not want or need my phone to be camera, television, FM radio, or MP3 player.

Dedicated devices for those functions work much better...and as a bonus, when I want to make a call, the phone battery is not flat due to using all of the other functions on the phone.

I did call her from my friends phone. Also she called me in the hotel room at night.

Yep, should have done that.

I did call her from my friends phone. Also she called me in the hotel room at night.

Ah oh well in that case the Mrs really doesn't have a case now does she...

On topic, did you at any point restart the phone? Pretty much all smart phones I had had to be restarted at one time or another - they just get in a funky state sometimes.

I had a similar problem last year with an LG mobile, using my Aus vodaphone simcard, setup international roaming, could call back to Australia ok. But could not call any numbers within Thailand (mobile or landline), just said "alerting" (or something similar), and no-one could call me (they said it just kept dialing). could send/receive txt messages ok.. When I got back to Aus, I could call all the Thailand numbers. :o

A couple of very remote possibilities.

1. Internal loose battery connection. I’ve had similar symptoms in a Nokia 6230, when phone laying flat sending sms’s it was ok, but up against my ear the connection would break.

2. “Own number sending “selected off. Some countries or phone services require this selected on to make calls.

Both possibilities don’t explain why the phone is working problem free since or why it worked again at the airport.

1) This is more common than one might think...and easy to check

2) I would alter this to say "nearly all carriers"...I have never made it work anywhere with "send own number" set to "off". Set it to "set by network"...then it will always work. Those with a legit reason to block sending their number can do so by contacting customer care.

On topic, did you at any point restart the phone? Pretty much all smart phones I had had to be restarted at one time or another - they just get in a funky state sometimes.

It was restarted by default on swapping the simcards.

You swapped SIM cards is the key here.... Search for the available networks. Select the proper network. Then power cycle the phone. Should make the misses happy ......

You swapped SIM cards is the key here.... Perform a MANUAL Search for the available networks. Select the proper network. Then power cycle the phone. Should make the misses happy ......