Gardening With The Mayor

Mapguy

Recently received invitation:

Dear friends,

May we invite you to join the Mayor talks to the public. This is an opportunity that people from all walks of life dicussing together for making Chiang Mai a pleasant place to live.

Venue: Art Museum, behind Three Kings Monument. Rachawitee Road.

Time : 5.30-8.00 p.m.

The topic will be

" Developing the vacant lands to be the gardens"

The talk will be in Thai and English. We have a great honor from Khun Dang to be the interpretor.

You idea, comments, suggestions are more than welcome.

Look forward to see your love for Chiang Mai.

Dear friends,

May we invite you to join the Mayor talks to the public. This is an opportunity that people from all walks of life dicussing together for making Chiang Mai a pleasant place to live.

The topic will be

The talk will be in Thai and English. We have a great honor from Khun Dang to be the interpretor.

If anybody will go there could he/she please mention.. Chiang Mai will be a much more pleasant city without Songtaws and Tuk Tuks..

They make a lot of noise and dirty smoke and are not troubled by any yearly checks...WHY?

Seems to me a more important issue then talking about gardens...

Dear friends,

The topic will be

If anybody will go there could he/she please mention.. Chiang Mai will be a much more pleasant city without Songtaws and Tuk Tuks..

They make a lot of noise and dirty smoke and are not troubled by any yearly checks...WHY?

No Songthaews or tuk tuks?? Why not? They offer service to people and are good for chiang mai

Dear friends,

The topic will be

No Songthaews or tuk tuks?? Why not? They offer service to people and are good for chiang mai

Can you imagine the protest that would go on if you tried to get rid of them ???

Dear friends,

The topic will be

Can you imagine the protest that would go on if you tried to get rid of them ???

The descusion with the major is about Chiang Mai making a more pleasant city..

Well the songtwas and tuk tuks do not make it pleasant at all.

Ofcouse there has to be an alternative.. like clean taxi's and a good busline system on alternative fuel's

Even Bangkok is cleaner then the centre of Chiang mai.

Yep, and lets throw out all those dam_n Thai eating places too, i mean they only take up space for another macdonalds or whatever `homeland` shop.

Oh and lets have a support fund for the ones who depend on a tuk tuk and not a taxi.

Sigh...

Dear friends,

The topic will be

Ofcouse there has to be an alternative.. like clean taxi's and a good busline system on alternative fuel's

I agree that it would help the pollution problem but i think the drivers will protest. Remember protests by the drivers when chiang mai was supposed to get the busline service before? Also the people that use their services depend on the cheap transport. It would be okay if the busline service was as cheap as the songtews and would allow people time to get their groceries on and off. Most people that use them can not afford taxis. I think a better plan would be to enforce the exhaust emission laws they have now. Set up a police task force to check cars on the streets for too high emissions.

In case someone can't make it to the meeting tonight, there is still the possibility to contact K. Boong with your concerns and/or complaints that you would like to see addressed. Just write an email to her:

md(dot)retireinchiangmai(at)gmail(dot)com

Best, of course, is to come forward with it yourself at the meeting. And, even better, be pro-active and provide possible solutions.

Nienke

Dear friends,

The topic will be

I agree that it would help the pollution problem but i think the drivers will protest. Remember protests by the drivers when chiang mai was supposed to get the busline service before? Also the people that use their services depend on the cheap transport. It would be okay if the busline service was as cheap as the songtews and would allow people time to get their groceries on and off. Most people that use them can not afford taxis. I think a better plan would be to enforce the exhaust emission laws they have now. Set up a police task force to check cars on the streets for too high emissions.

Sorry I came up with a complete stupid idea... and ofcourse we could have protest...(scary) but i thought it was all to make Chiang mai more pleasant?

Dear friends,

The topic will be

Sorry I came up with a complete stupid idea... and ofcourse we could have protest...(scary) but i thought it was all to make Chiang mai more pleasant?

Ok ok ok, you mean well, my reaction was a bit harsh, but to me it sounded like taking the `thai` out of Thailand.

Tuk tuk`s and others should stay, it is a typical Thailand thing, besides that we are ( most of the time) the ones who can afford other ways of transportation, lots of Thai people cannot. And it is Thailand we are talking about.

Emission control as Wolfman suggested would be nice, but ....

We should try to improve things, but not by making it look like little america or europe or whatever.

It is poluted enough with farang `things` already imho.

The tuktuk/songteaw complaint is not stupid. However, it is something that can't be solved overnight. Complaining alone won't solve the problem as well. Being pro-active can help a lot, though.

Encouraging people to plant more, preferable indigenous, trees herbs and plants is, IMHO, an excellent idea. It will definitely help improving the environment.

Planting trees etc is not only for beauty. They fertilize the soil, many (and often all) parts can be eaten giving necessary nutrients and often it has medicinal properties. Roots will hold the soil and in this way help preventing soil erosion. Trees provide shade making the surroundings cooler, can play an important role in cleaning the air, can serve as a break for strong winds. More greenery and flowers also have a positive effect on our mental health. etc etc etc.

(there are many more benefits that vegetation gives to us. This is just a short brainstorm).

Again IMHO, the Mayor and K. Boong are two wonderful ambitious people. They have many good idea's and are really trying to implement them, and not by force but by getting both Thai and foreigners enthusiastic and actively involved.

That certain things won't go overnight is pretty logic as it first takes considerable time to raise awareness, and then another long time before the majority actually changes their behavior.

Now there are the pioneers, the fast followers, the slow followers, those who will never get or want to be involved in that particular project and those who will never get or want to be involved in any activity. For your own physical and mental health I suggest not to be in the last group.

Nienke

http://' target="_blank">

Chiang Mai Municipality says forget trains, it’s now trolleys

Nopniwat Krailerg

The Chiang Mai mass transport project is ready to go ahead, and apparently the preferred means of mass transport is a type of electric trolley coach which will operate on four 30 km routes.

n12-179.jpg
Boonlert Buranupakorn, Chiang Mai Mayor

Boonlert Buranupakorn, Chiang Mai Mayor confirmed that Chiang Mai municipality in cooperation with Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning would soon jointly hold a press conference concerning the mass transport for the Chiang Mai Municipality area. A feasibility study has been conducted over the last two months, to determine the best routes and means of transport. The study concluded that the most economical solution was to construct an electric trolley coach, because the infrastructure for an electric train with its own railway lines was considered too expensive.

The mayor added that designated stopping points to pick up and drop passengers would be provided throughout the city and further details would be disclosed at the press conference on March 30, including publishing a map showing the routes of the electric trolley-bus. He believed that the committee’s decision to go for the option of the electric trolley-bus would also be the choice of Chiang Mai residents.

Chiang Mai Mail, March 26

Guess that has been scrapped now ?

The songthaews and tuk tuks per se are not the problem, are they, but their engine types. I'd like to see them stay, too, if they could be converted to more efficient, cleaner and quieter engines.