Transferringn Bank Account From One Province To Another

Hi there. I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account in Chiang Mai last year - it was as easy as pie.

I wonder if it's possible to get the account transferred to a Bangkok branch now that I've moved here to avoid inter-province charges for transactions made.

Hi there. I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account in Chiang Mai last year - it was as easy as pie.

I wonder if it's possible to get the account transferred to a Bangkok branch now that I've moved here to avoid inter-province charges for transactions made.

No you will have to open a new account and transfer the funds paying the charges from one to the other or bring the funds in cash yourself from CM

No you will have to open a new account and transfer the funds paying the charges from one to the other or bring the funds in cash yourself from CM

Yep, crazy - it seems as if different provincial branches of the same bank are in competition for business. Can you open a new one in Bangkok and keep both accounts on Internet Banking, then transfer between the two to avoid transaction charges ?

Yes crazy.

I had some money in a fixed interest acc. in Samui.

When I moved to Khon Kaen I tried to withdraw some in the KK branch.

"Cannot . Have to go Samui"

So I had to make the trip to Samui just to get my money out of the bank.

I just went through this same thing a few months ago. Moved to another province and had to open a new account as they will not transfer an account. This happens to be Siam Commercial Bank.

All transfers between the 2 accounts incur a service fee because each account is located in a different province and that's SCB policy. Money making scheme for them as the electrons don't care how far they travel be it from Bangkok to CM or wherever. The cost to do a transfer in one account to another in the same province or between provinces is most likely all on the same computer anyway and that is most likely in BKK. Just a way to make money but regardless that's the way it is.

If you want to avoid the service fees close out the old account and online banking and register for online again using the new account as the primary account. But beware as in my case I use the first account as my receiver for my wire transfers so I need this account active for awhile until I change receiving accounts for my swift transfers.

Yes crazy.

Why not just use the ATM machine?

Yes crazy.

Why not just use the ATM machine?

Fixed Interest Acc. Not a savings acc.

Even if you could there would still be a commission charge.

I just went through this same thing a few months ago. Moved to another province and had to open a new account as they will not transfer an account. This happens to be Siam Commercial Bank.

All transfers between the 2 accounts incur a service fee because each account is located in a different province and that's SCB policy. Money making scheme for them as the electrons don't care how far they travel be it from Bangkok to CM or wherever. The cost to do a transfer in one account to another in the same province or between provinces is most likely all on the same computer anyway and that is most likely in BKK. Just a way to make money but regardless that's the way it is.

If you want to avoid the service fees close out the old account and online banking and register for online again using the new account as the primary account. But beware as in my case I use the first account as my receiver for my wire transfers so I need this account active for awhile until I change receiving accounts for my swift transfers.

I have old account and new account on Internet banking and it costs 5 Baht to transfer funds between accounts.

I have old account and new account on Internet banking and it costs 5 Baht to transfer funds between accounts.

I only know from my experience is the transfer fee only comes in to play when I make a transfer to an account in another region/province. I make transfers every month across my accounts here in BanChang and no fee. I make transfers to another persons SCB account here no fee. I only incur a fee when it crosses out of the region or to another bank.