Samsung Omnia Sgh-i 900

HDRIDER

I got to test it @ the new Samsung store @ Paragon, Im not that impressed with the display. It's light, but the case feels plasticky.

I'm waiting for the SE X1, HTC Touch Pro and the Android.

Those are totally different animals, since they all have slide-out Qwerty keyboards which make them ticker and less pocket friendly.

So it all depends on what kind of device you are looking for.....

HTC is coming with a new slim touch screen model with a soon though... (800 x 480 pixels) and Nokia Tube is just around the bend too....

I got to test it @ the new Samsung store @ Paragon, Im not that impressed with the display. It's light, but the case feels plasticky.

I'm waiting for the SE X1, HTC Touch Pro and the Android.

Those are totally different animals, since they all have slide-out Qwerty keyboards which make them ticker and less pocket friendly.

So it all depends on what kind of device you are looking for.....

HTC is coming with a new slim touch screen model with a soon though... (800 x 480 pixels) and Nokia Tube is just around the bend too....

I've been looking at the specs of the various contenders for a while now.

I need windows mobile office, excel in particular so that narrows it down

As you say, the full slide out qwertys make the phones thicker , heavier , and less pocket friendly, so that further narrows it down to the touch screens.

Samsung Omnia seems about the best available atm for my needs with HTC diamond second

Omnia has a bigger display but HTC has better resolution

Most of the reviews re the Omnia comment that the screen resolution could be better, ie, website text on the HTC is more legible than the Omnia even though its squeezed into a smaller display.

I guess the ultimate would be if HTC make a slightly larger diamond with a 3-3.5" display or Omnia improve theirs

I'm not aware of any new WM smartphones that will fit this bill

I've been looking at the specs of the various contenders for a while now.

I need windows mobile office, excel in particular so that narrows it down

As you say, the full slide out qwertys make the phones thicker , heavier , and less pocket friendly, so that further narrows it down to the touch screens.

Samsung Omnia seems about the best available atm for my needs with HTC diamond second

Omnia has a bigger display but HTC has better resolution

Most of the reviews re the Omnia comment that the screen resolution could be better, ie, website text on the HTC is more legible than the Omnia even though its squeezed into a smaller display.

I guess the ultimate would be if HTC make a slightly larger diamond with a 3-3.5" display or Omnia improve theirs

I'm not aware of any new WM smartphones that will fit this bill

HTC is rumored to come out with a model called, Touch HD which will get a 3.5" 800 x 480 pixels display.

But as it is today the available phones all have their pros and cons.

For me i wanted a slim and pocket friendly WM phone so there where not that many alternatives.

I tried out the Touch Pro, but it was way to bulky for my taste. (Which also ruled out the X1 since they have about similar thickness)

So i was basically left with a choice between Diamond and Omnia.

I really liked the Diamond display and form factor, but its week battery life and its limited availability of the landscape keyboard (only available in browser) ruled it out for me in the end.

This left me with only one current contender, Omnia.

Having used it for awhile now, i must say i am quite happy with it

But if a version with a metallic back plate and higher screen resolution becomes available i would be tempted to change.

Edited by Fun2Fun

HTC is rumored to come out with a model called, Touch HD which will get a 3.5" 800 x 480 pixels display

Thanks for that, seems to fit the bill

Same size as Iphone but runs WM which I need

Rumoured release xmas, will watch for updates.

HTC Touch HD

• Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional

• Qualcomm 7201A processor @ 528MHz

• 512MB ROM / 256MB RAM (+32MB on processor)
  • WVGA!!!

Update: Additional specs...

• 115mm x 62.8mm x 12mm

• In stores for Santa'

• GPS / HSDPA etc. etc. 5 Megapixel camera (no flash)

• No Dpad or scroll wheel, does have a stylus :o

• microSD slot

• 1350mAH battery
  • 3.5mm headset jack on the top!

link with pictures

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-pr...e-htc-touch-hd/

Doesnt seem to have much internal storage compared to Omnia,iphone or Diamond ?

Edited by bill1960

Hi

Take to long to explain, but just google it and you will see what i mean, you try to take your sim and put in a iphone, cant see the contact, when i had it, no word or excel, bad camera, well the list goes on, maybe better now, but no thx

Some neat programs for Omnia.. (Or other wm phones for that mather)

- Kinoma Player

Great streaming player, media library inc. photo viewer and online media search functions.

- MemMaid

Cleans the system and helps keep available memory usage as high as possible.

Personally i really like the landscape version of Samsungs onscreen virtual qwerty keyboard , but i find that the vertical/ordinary rotation keyboard version has the keys to close to each other which can lead to mistypings.

If you experience the same, then one of these keybords might be more to your taste:

- Vito ZoomBoard

- Resco Keyboard Pro

But both of those only work good in the vertical/ordinary rotation , while they do not utilize the full screen width in landscape mode where Samsungs included keyboard works much better.

Edited by Fun2Fun

Hi

Take to long to explain, but just google it and you will see what i mean, you try to take your sim and put in a iphone, cant see the contact, when i had it, no word or excel, bad camera, well the list goes on, maybe better now, but no thx

So you don't wanna say that omnia has good camera I hope because that would be the biggest lie in history.

Try to explain me how you can make a decent picture with a camera that takes 5 SECONDS between the the point that you push the button and the time the shutter closes.

Lets say your child has their first diving lessons and you want to make a picture because you're proud about.

You push the button when they jump but by the time that the shutter closes they are climbing out of the pool already.

In my opinion a real shame for a phone with that pricetag.

So you don't wanna say that omnia has good camera I hope because that would be the biggest lie in history.

Try to explain me how you can make a decent picture with a camera that takes 5 SECONDS between the the point that you push the button and the time the shutter closes.

Lets say your child has their first diving lessons and you want to make a picture because you're proud about.

You push the button when they jump but by the time that the shutter closes they are climbing out of the pool already.

Take note that we are talking about a pocket pc/phone camera and not a dedicated compact camera.

To quote GSMArena's Omnia review

Then, there's the 5 megapixel camera that offers fast response, excellent image quality and a bunch of high-end cameraphone features. The Omnia is the first 5 megapixel PocketPC to hit the market and it totally stands up to the challenge.

I just did i test with my own Omnia and yes if you fully press the camera button in and wait for the picture to be taken, it takes about 2 to 3 seconds. (auto-zoom feature)

If on the other hand you half press the button first, it makes the zoom adjustments and after that it can take an instantaneous picture when fully pressing the button.

It actually also have a continuous feature so as not to miss any action, where you can simply hold in the button and it takes a series of pictures in quick succession.

Aswell as having plenty of other settings and camera features to play around with.

Edited by Fun2Fun

It's a phone for cryin' out loud. If taking a decent photo is important to you then use... a camera!!!

It's a phone for cryin' out loud. If taking a decent photo is important to you then use... a camera!!!

Maybe you're right.I should use a camera to make photo's along with a 900 baht phone from Mbk to make calls.