Convert Tourist To Retirement Visa At Pattaya Immigration

I currently have a retirement visa.

I will be out of the country for 6 to 12 months.

If I let my retirement visa lapse, can I entry on a tourist visa and convert to retirement visa. I usually get a single entry non-imm O but the tourist visa is free.

Any experiences?

After entering on a tourist visa you cannot “convert to a retirement visa”, but with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay and if you meet the conditions for a retirement extension you can at an immigration office get a change to non-immigrant visa (fee 2,000 Baht) and then get the retirement extension (fee 1,900 Baht). If you were to enter with a non-O visa you could in Thailand go directly to the retirement extension. See Royal Thai Police order No. 606/2549, paragraph 7.21, for the requirements for this extension.

--

Maestro

I currently have a retirement visa.

I will be out of the country for 6 to 12 months.

If I let my retirement visa lapse, can I entry on a tourist visa and convert to retirement visa. I usually get a single entry non-imm O but the tourist visa is free.

Any experiences?

Tourist Visas are not free.

If you are talking about the 30 day entry stamp, be aware that the airline may not let you on the flight if you only have a one way ticket and no Visa.