Mail Your Passport To Usa While Staying Outside Thailand But Not In Usa

i dont recommend this but a friend told me what he does

step 1. go to another country, wherever. get your thai exit stamp.

step 2. mail passport to friend in usa who then mails it to the thai embassy. get your visa. have friend mail it back to your hotel room 1 day express while on vacation. go back to LOS.

is he being honest? does this work?

Edited by lifeisrandom

That is really interesting. Of course Thai immigration could study your passport and figure out that you weren't in the USA when you got the Thai visa, but the questions are: would they check, would they even care, and would they consider it illegal as you didn't mail it while in Thailand. Good question, awaiting the experts.

Edited by Jingthing

That is really interesting. Of course Thai immigration could study your passport and figure out that you weren't in the USA when you got the Thai visa, but the questions are: would they check, would they even care, and would they consider it illegal as you didn't mail it while in Thailand. Good question, awaiting the experts.

Actually, depending on your point of entry they might not be able to determine that.

From my experience ORD usually stamps me in, but not always. SEA, SFO, LAX and MSP seldom if ever stamp you into the USA if you are a US citizen.

What country near Thailand doesn't stamp your passport upon entry?

I don't know if it's really legal or not.

But I don't see how Thailand would ever know unless they had access to US Immigration computers and could confirm or deny that you re-entered the US.

As long as you actually signed the application and made no false statements on it....? :o

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

What country near Thailand doesn't stamp your passport upon entry?

I don't know if it's really legal or not.

But I don't see how Thailand would ever know unless they had access to US Immigration computers and could confirm or deny that you re-entered the US.

I am not an expert nor would I give hand to such procedure for applying any visa. However, I am interested to discuss this matter as it seems to me that in recent times this question comes up more and more: Is it actually legal or not legal?

I learned from Crossy the other day (see this thread) that a short flight out of Thailand would be best. Then it dawned on me that such a flight would have to be in fact to a neighbouring and eventually visa-free country where no stamps are going to be put in your passport. Why?

1. You get an exit stamp from Thailand?

2. You also get an entry stamp from the neighbour country

Now think about it. You will come back to Thailand with a brand new Multiple Non-O-Visa from the States and you cannot show an exit stamp from the neighbouring country prior the time of your being granted that new visa.

When I look at my exit/entry stamp record in my passport as a border runner, it is easy to follow where I went, unless I go back to Europe in my case.

Well, also, the US stamps you in so the expected US stamp would be missing. The crux of this to my view is whether they would care even if they figured it out, because you wouldn't have broken any Thai laws as you didn't mail it while you were in Thailand. If it was against Malaysia law, I hardly think Thailand would be interested.

How do people apply for a Thai visa if there is no embassy or consulate in their home country? I would immagine they mail it to a neibouring country with an embassy in it. I really don't know but it doesn't seem like you would be breaking any Thai law. I would think the only law you would possibly be breaking is being in another country without your passport.

How do people apply for a Thai visa if there is no embassy or consulate in their home country? I would immagine they mail it to a neibouring country with an embassy in it. I really don't know but it doesn't seem like you would be breaking any Thai law. I would think the only law you would possibly be breaking is being in another country without your passport.

I wouldn't do it and I am brave. :o

Nacho

I gotta agree with you on this.  Lots of countries do not have a Thai Embassy/Consulate or Honorary Consul available.  

I sure would, however, keep a couple of xerox copies of my passport with ALL the pages that have stamps.  Handy if your passport is lots in transit, handy just if your passport is lost, period.  I had to get a new U.S. passport a couple years back, easier to do when you walk into the U.S. Embassy with a copy of it.

I also scan a lot of pages, particularly the Thai visa & extension pages, in case I want to print them out in full color.

Mac

I have studied this method a lot and have concluded that the only way is to have 2 different passports (as I have). I haven't tried it yet as I have just got a new 1 year visa from KL, but will next year.

As an OP pointed out above, "You will come back to Thailand with a brand new Multiple Non-O-Visa from the States and you cannot show an exit stamp from the neighbouring country prior the time of your being granted that new visa."

Looking at the stamped dates in your pp, they will put 2+2 together and say that you posted your pp to the US. I personally think Immigration will pick up on this upon entry to LoS.

Below is an excerpt from the consulate in Hull, UK

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Priory Park West

Hessle HULL HU13 9PB

Tel: 01482 581668 Fax: 01482 628877

Email: [email protected] Website: www.thaiconsul-uk.com

APPLYING FOR A VISA WHEN RESIDING OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION

Persons residing outside the European Union (EU) who wish to apply to this consulate for a visa to visit Thailand for whatever purpose must submit their application only through a person residing in the UK. That person, residing in the UK and acting on behalf of the applicant, can then submit the application to this consulate by post or in person. When the visa is issued we will return the passport to the person who submitted it on behalf of the applicant subject to the correct return postage being included. That person is responsible for forwarding the passport to the applicant wherever they may be residing. We do not accept any applications for visas direct from persons residing outside the EU. Furthermore this Consulate will not issue a visa to anyone whose passport shows they have not exited Thailand prior to submitting their application.

So, Hull would be OK with this, but would Khun Somchai at Swampy Immigration?!!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

Well, also, the US stamps you in so the expected US stamp would be missing. The crux of this to my view is whether they would care even if they figured it out, because you wouldn't have broken any Thai laws as you didn't mail it while you were in Thailand. If it was against Malaysia law, I hardly think Thailand would be interested.

Not true. I am never stamped into the USA when returning home.

Just dropped in by mistake. An acquaintance of mine couriered the passport years ago to Hawaii for a visa and paid a hefty THB 20'000. Upon return of the courier pouch he was asked to pick-up the envelope at the Thai customs for inspection purposes against presentation of his passport! Gotcha. He then mentioned a story of "a visiting friend took my passport along by mistake". The officer smelled a rat and my buddy was locked up at Suan Plu prior to get exported! Be warned and get the visas through official channels by yourself and stay within the limits of the law.

USA does not always stamp you in.

There is nothing illegal about this procedure. You have left Thailand. 'Nuff said.

I have done this with my second passport.

Simply mailed it to friend in the UK who submitted it to Hull for a Non Imm O visa.

Once the passport came back, I exited Thailand on the first passport, flew to Hongkong

and came straight back and entered Thailand with the new visa in my second passport.

The advantage is that with a UK passport there are no entry stamps for the UK,

or anywhere in Europe, so not record that I was not there when the visa was issued. :o

I know people who have done this here and paid for it, and of course some of the fees they paid went toward smoothing out the stamps wherever they were needed. It is true, the US doesn't always stamp in or out....but what would be missing would be the reentry stamp (and first exit stamp) from the country like Malaysia, showing that one left to another country and returned....as for not holding on to ones passport, most folks walk around other countries for 3 days or so with only copies of their passport while they wait for visas that they have applied from from embassies and Consulates...I was in Pakistan a year ago and got a Thai visa that took a week, had no passport the entire time.

The US doesn't stamp out but I didn't realize they don't stamp in. I recall always being stamped in there.

Just an academic question as I would never try this scheme: if you did lose your passport this way and you went to the nearest US embassy to get a replacement, could you tell them the truth about what you did (mailed it out of the country) without any bad consequences from the US side of it?

Edited by Jingthing

On my 16th trip outside the US and have never been stamped in or out of the US. This all at LAX between 2004 and 2008. I still couldn't have the nerve to send my passport off and be in another country without it.

On my 16th trip outside the US and have never been stamped in or out of the US. This all at LAX between 2004 and 2008.

US immigrations stamped my passport consistently (inbound) up until 1997 or so and then abruptly stopped. I have only been stamped in once since then (November 2007 - Minneapolis). I am in and out of the States at least two or three times per year.

Since you're US passport is the property of the government I'm thinking as long as you used due care and a responsible courier company you would not have a problem. I would expect many are lost in transit every year, since millions are mailed to consulates every year. It's bound to happen, even with electronic tracking procedures.

Lying to them about what you were up to and having it returned to the government some months later (if it was lost and later found) would leave you wide open to prosecution i.e. false testimony or statements to a Federal officer.

From the Dept of State website:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/us/us_848.html

To Report a Lost or Stolen Passport:

Complete Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, Form DS-64

* Fill in as much of the passport information as you can.

* Answer all the other questions in detail.

* Sign and submit above Form DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, to:

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

Do not mail your new passport application to this address. In order to obtain a new passport you must appear in person at a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility as outlined below.

Or call us toll free at: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)

Operators are available 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., ET, Monday-Friday, excluding Federal holidays.

`````````````````````````````````

"I, the undersigned, declare under penalty of perjury that the information furnished herein is correct and complete and

that I have not given my passport to another person or disposed of it in an unauthorized manner. I understand that my

passport will be invalidated and cannot be used. If I subsequently find and recover it, I will immediately return it to

Passport Services at the address on the back of this form or to the nearest passport agency."

````````````````````````````````

"False statements made knowingly and willfully in passport applications or in affidavits or other supporting documents

submitted therewith are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under provisions of 18 U.S.C. 1001 and/or 18 U.S.C.

1542. Alteration or mutilation of a U.S. passport is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under provisions of 18

U.S.C. 1543. The use of a U.S. passport in violation of the restrictions contained therein or of the passport regulations

is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment under 18 U.S.C. 1544. All statements and documents submitted are subject

to verification"

you might be okay doing it, but it could turn very bad if things didn't go well.

This is sounding less and less like a good idea all the time................ :o

~WISteve

step 2. mail passport to friend in usa who then mails it to the thai embassy. get your visa. have friend mail it back to your hotel room 1 day express while on vacation. go back to LOS.

Worked in the past even if I myself never had to resort to tricks like....

I had some USA friends though who used it....

Even this problem can get solved as there isnt any problem getting a second passport....

Only a warning that if it causes a problem: they donot help! In my case I might have needed it for an oil related job and as the job fell through I never bothered with the visum...

I would not call this a "trick"...there is nothing illegal, immoral, or fattening about it.

It is no different than if you went back to your own country, then sent your documents to the embassy by post or courier. same-same.

I would not call this a "trick"...there is nothing illegal, immoral, or fattening about it.

It is no different than if you went back to your own country, then sent your documents to the embassy by post or courier. same-same.

Sending you passport abroad so as to purport to be in a country when in fact you are somewhere else is a trick. It's kind of like pretending to be resident at your home country so as to claim a benefit usually applicable only to a resident, when in fact you are on a beach in Thailand.

There is always the possibility of getting caught too, if someone notices the date that you were trying to get or got a visa issued did not correspond to entry and exit stamps in your passport.

People might get away with it for a while, but schemes like this often end in tears when they get spotted by the authorities, who have no sense of humour at all.

So this old chestnut again !

As far the Thai government is concerned all you need is to be outside Thailand. Where you are or what you do outside of their country is not their concern. Thus, the OP's question can be answered in the positive according to Thai laws.

Of course, you would be in a third country with no passport but let's face it, that is no big deal. In fact, you could actually apply for a secondary passport from your home country if you so wished but of course that would not show the entry stamps to the third country.

It is within the rules. It is allowed. The only rule you would be breaking would be residing in a third country without the aforementioned passport. That would, along with the trust you place in your frind and the courier service, be the only concern.

However, as the Op was talking about the US, I would consider actually visiting a country where you can obtain a multiple entry "O" such as Australia. This is based upon the problems that USA citizens seem to have in getting these visas or even 3 or 4 entry tourist visas.

So this old chestnut again !

As far the Thai government is concerned all you need is to be outside Thailand. Where you are or what you do outside of their country is not their concern. Thus, the OP's question can be answered in the positive according to Thai laws.

Of course, you would be in a third country with no passport but let's face it, that is no big deal. In fact, you could actually apply for a secondary passport from your home country if you so wished but of course that would not show the entry stamps to the third country.

It is within the rules. It is allowed. The only rule you would be breaking would be residing in a third country without the aforementioned passport. That would, along with the trust you place in your frind and the courier service, be the only concern.

However, as the Op was talking about the US, I would consider actually visiting a country where you can obtain a multiple entry "O" such as Australia. This is based upon the problems that USA citizens seem to have in getting these visas or even 3 or 4 entry tourist visas.

My info is a year old but I dont think anything has changed:

First off anybody can take your passport to any embassy (out of said country)and get you a visa. There are no restrictions. Think about all those travel agents taking stacks of passports for a visa.

Thailand only requires you leave the country to apply for the visa.

Yes I knew a guy who sent by shipper to US and got his visa shipped back etc NO PROBLEM. The problem is with the shipper as a return envelope is required and you cant do unless you have a business account with them etc. Another problem is the money. Must have a money order etc.

All this is where it helps to have a friend in US to handle things for you.

Yes you will have to do without a passport etc while you wait. A black and white copy of Passport and related pages and a receipt from the carrier might be all you ever need. You can always get another passport. It just takes money and time.

Dont lie about anything. Just get a friendly consular office in the US to work with. If I have to tell you the office IT IS GOING TO COST YOU.

Happy trails,

:o