Simple Tourist Visa Question

21 - USA

Hello, I am applying for a tourist visa, and I have a round trip ticket booked to stay in Thailand for 6 months. Just wondering about something on the application for my tourist visa. First, what should I put for length of stay? Should I put 60 days, the length of the visa they give, or should I put 6 months, my actual time I plan on staying? Also, how many re-entries should I request? (I am already aware of the process of extentions and border runs, just need help with the application)

Thanks for the help!

not from usa, so not 100% on this, but if you were a brit id be telling you to get a 1 year multi entry visa, maybe cost 30 english pounds more but saves a lot of time and money going to do border runs etc and gives you freedom to go say maybe laos or cambodia then keep coming back in!

there must be an thai embassy/ consulte website for america????

good luck

chris

Never really know why they want that lengh of stay silled in...in any case, I always just put down the max days for the visa I am applying for. For tourist, it would be 2 months or 60 days. If your planned stay is 6 months, definitely request a triple or at the least double entry. 3x tourist I don't know if any consulate still gives them out...double is very do able.

not from usa, so not 100% on this, but if you were a brit id be telling you to get a 1 year multi entry visa, maybe cost 30 english pounds more but saves a lot of time and money going to do border runs etc and gives you freedom to go say maybe laos or cambodia then keep coming back in!

good luck

chris

I'm not applying for a non-immigrant visa, I am applying for a tourist visa.

Never really know why they want that lengh of stay silled in...in any case, I always just put down the max days for the visa I am applying for. For tourist, it would be 2 months or 60 days. If your planned stay is 6 months, definitely request a triple or at the least double entry. 3x tourist I don't know if any consulate still gives them out...double is very do able.

Is it a problem that my flight returns in 6 months though?

As a US citizen you will be able to get a 6 month double entry visa (tourist). You will gt 60 days on arrival, and then 30 days extension from immigration after. You then do aborder hop where you will get given another 60 days, and of course then you can do the 30 day extension. So in essence you are getting two lots of 90 days = 6 months. Do you have this type of visa or a single entry 60 day tourist visa?

If you have only the single entry visa, then it may very well be viewed as a problem that your flight back in not for 6 months.

As a US citizen you will be able to get a 6 month double entry visa (tourist). You will gt 60 days on arrival, and then 30 days extension from immigration after. You then do aborder hop where you will get given another 60 days, and of course then you can do the 30 day extension. So in essence you are getting two lots of 90 days = 6 months. Do you have this type of visa or a single entry 60 day tourist visa?

If you have only the single entry visa, then it may very well be viewed as a problem that your flight back in not for 6 months.

I already understand the tourist visa process. I don't have the tourist visa yet, I am filling out the form right now and it asks 'length of stay' and 'number of entries'. I am staying for six months, and will do the extensions and border run as you described but I need to know how long I put in for length of stay and number of entries....

good luck

chris

I'm not applying for a non-immigrant visa, I am applying for a tourist visa.

sorry i think you mis understood my reply, read it again, im saying if you were a brit (as i unsure how yanks get on visa wise) i would say DONT get a tourist visa try and get a 1 year cuts out all the hassles of ya border hops and everything, and if you go over ya expected 6 months as many on here do ya covered!

chris

Just curious as to what embassy or consulate you were applying to. Would be interested to know how things turn out for you.

Regarding your question, I have a friend who spent 6 months there on a 6 month visa. He had a single entry and said he was staying for 6 months. He applied in Chicago. As far as I know he had no problems getting the visa. He also had a return ticket for 6 months later. Good luck.

Exactly what visa is for six months? Is this a tourist visa? I thought I could only get a visa for six months if I had some sort of letter or recommendation from someplace inside of Thailand, like a non-immigration visa ... Is there a six month tourist visa?

I still am unsure what to put on my visa application if I am applying for a tourist visa?

21 - USA

Hello, I am applying for a tourist visa, and I have a round trip ticket booked to stay in Thailand for 6 months. Just wondering about something on the application for my tourist visa. First, what should I put for length of stay? Should I put 60 days, the length of the visa they give, or should I put 6 months, my actual time I plan on staying? Also, how many re-entries should I request? (I am already aware of the process of extentions and border runs, just need help with the application)

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I went through this last year. I'm from the USA and wanted to stay 6 months in BKK. All you need to do is fill out the Visa Ap and put 3 entries, $30 per entry and its good for 6 months and NO border runs needed. I sent all my info to the Thai Consulate in Houston.

The whole process took 2 days via fed-ex. My visa stamp was valid for those 6 months.

Its easy, quick, painless!

I plan on retiring in Thailand end of next year and I'll do this process every year. No need for the retirement visa and deposit money in some Thai bank making little or no interest.

Take care

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I went through this last year. I'm from the USA and wanted to stay 6 months in BKK. All you need to do is fill out the Visa Ap and put 3 entries, $30 per entry and its good for 6 months and NO border runs needed. I sent all my info to the Thai Consulate in Houston.

The whole process took 2 days via fed-ex. My visa stamp was valid for those 6 months.

I plan on retiring in Thailand end of next year and I'll do this process every year. No need for the retirement visa and deposit money in some Thai bank making little or no interest.

Take care

A 2+ entry tourist visa would be "good" for six months in that you must utilize the first entry within six months. There would still be a requirement after the first 60 days to apply for a 30 day extension in country and after that you would be required to do a border run (leave the country even if re-entry is the same day). I would be interested to hear how you stayed in the country for 6 months continuously without a border run on a tourist visa?

~WISteve

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Take care

A 2+ entry tourist visa would be "good" for six months in that you must utilize the first entry within six months. There would still be a requirement after the first 60 days to apply for a 30 day extension in country and after that you would be required to do a border run (leave the country even if re-entry is the same day). I would be interested to hear how you stayed in the country for 6 months continuously without a border run on a tourist visa?

~WISteve

Think he meant that his tourist visa was valid for entry into Thailand for 6 months.

Visas are often issued in the form of a stamp, they are not always printed then stuck into your passport.

A 2+ entry tourist visa would be "good" for six months in that you must utilize the first entry within six months.

All trips to Thailand must be made within the 6-month validity of the visa.

--

Maestro

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Take care

~WISteve

Think he meant that his tourist visa was valid for entry into Thailand for 6 months.

Visas are often issued in the form of a stamp, they are not always printed then stuck into your passport.

You're right. The tourist visa was stamped in my passport by the Royal Thai Consulate-General ; Houston, Texas. Date stamped was Dec. 04, 2007 valid thru June 03, 2008.

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Take care

~WISteve

You're right. The tourist visa was stamped in my passport by the Royal Thai Consulate-General ; Houston, Texas. Date stamped was Dec. 04, 2007 valid thru June 03, 2008.

Still confused. Houston gave you three entries but you said you never had to leave BKK and yet you stayed for six months. How can that be?

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Take care

~WISteve

Still confused. Houston gave you three entries but you said you never had to leave BKK and yet you stayed for six months. How can that be?

It cannot be.

Exactly what visa is for six months? Is this a tourist visa? I thought I could only get a visa for six months if I had some sort of letter or recommendation from someplace inside of Thailand, like a non-immigration visa ... Is there a six month tourist visa?

I still am unsure what to put on my visa application if I am applying for a tourist visa?

I myself am applying for a tourist visa. It is not that difficult. First, specify how many you want... 1, 2, 3, etc. I think 3 or 4 is the limit. Each visa is good for 60 days and may be extended for an additional 30 days (for 1900 baht at an immigration office in certain cities in Thailand). You indicated that you want to stay for 6 months... seems to me that you need 2 tourist visas. 2 * (60 + 30) = 180 days (approx 6 months)

The form will also query you to indicate your arrival date in Thailand. Enter that.

Lastly, for the section that queries about your length of stay, I would indicate your final departure date out of Thailand... even if that is 6 months from your entry date.

Things to bear in mind... a tourist visa will only guarantee you up to 90 days max; that is if you extend it. You will need to leave the country at the end of 90 days, or 60 days if you fail to get the extension. Then you can re-enter and begin utilizing the second tourist visa. Probably the most popular border to go to is the Cambodia/Thai border east of Rayong (I forgot the name of the town). Another favourite border town, and I use that description loosely, is Vientienne, Laos.

P.S. When/if the Consulate issues you the visa with multiple entries, one sticker-type visa will be attached to a page in your passport. Look for the "No. of Entries" to verify you obtained the proper amount. In the US, each entry costs $35.

Edited by Gumballl

21 - USA

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Take care

~WISteve

It's quite simple and I did stay in Thailand for 160 days without doing a border run. When I applied for my visa, I put on my application my return flight info and checked "number of entries requested, 3" and checked "Tourist Visa". I'm reading this now, as it states in the "Requirements for obtaining Thai visas: Multiple entry visa is valid for 6 months-$30 per entry-maximum 3 entries". When I arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport the immigration officer stamped in my passport the "admitted until...20 May 2008" stamp with 3 red initials. When I left BKK no problems getting on the plane to come home. My visa was stamped in my passport; i did not have a separate page stapled in it.

gabrielcnh1, on what date did you enter Thailand with your triple-entry tourist visa and get an arrival stamp reading “admitted <date> until 20 MAY 2008”?

--

Maestro

Maestro, it's stamped " 17 DEC 2007 ".