Advice As To What Is Best

midasthailand

Well, I have taken the dive and accepted a position with a new Australian/Thai partnership company and will be here for at least a year. That being the case I would appreciate any advice as to the best cable TV to go with, the most reliable Internet service provider and a decent reliable mobile phone. I will be living off Sri Nakharin road in Bang Na area if that is any help. Appreciate any advice.

Dave

cable tv- really only one choice in thailand, and it sucks (true visions). all the others are illegal from what i understand.

internet- all the same really, sub-par speeds. might be better to get a dedicated line if you need it for working.

mobile phone- i use 1-2-call and am happy with it.

cable tv - no experience, no opinion. Does your apartment offer something?

internet - If possible, TT&T ADSL. Hutch AirCard is a workable solution, but it is slow, and works only in Central (BKK) and Eastern regions, despite what the Hutch "map" shows. Again, is there some offering in your apartment?

mobile phone - I have 1-2-Call (AIS prepaid) and it works well, they have the most complete coverage in Thailand and the most comprehensive roaming agreements, if that matters to you. I also have a TrueMove prepaid SIM, it works fine as well.

thank you both for taking the time to respond, since you both seem to be saying much the same thing I guess in the absence of further replies I'll go with your advice. I already have AIS 1,2 go and always use that Sim card when in country. I believe the owner of the apartment I have looked at has agreed to assist with connection to the net and arranging cable, so I should be sweet.

I have tried most of the DSL providers, currently I have CAT, TT&T and TOT connections and TT&T and TOT doesn't even come close to CAT.

That actually say more about the two other providers than CAT.

CAT is far from what you would expect from a western standard, but it is usable and somewhat reliable.

In Bangkok TRUE is pretty much the best option for both cable TV and ADSL Internet...they're like a one-eyed man in the land of the blind, though.

I'm reasonably happy with my 4MB connection (when it works) and even though their customer service is super-shoddy, it beats the heck out of dealing with TOT or BuddyBB about these kind of matters.

As for telephony, my choice is DTAC...great customer service, best EDGE network in Bangkok and good signal (though 1-2-Call should still be better in terms of signal outside Bangkok)