Unregistered Vehicles

I have seen some cars for sale that are at extremely low prices, and must say the first thing that came to mind was its too good to be true.

I was ready to dismiss it as stolen, but after some searching here I see many users have unregistered bikes and have understand that cars with red plates are technically unregistered.

So what's the story?

I only want to buy something that is 100% legal and above board, but before I dismiss this car entirely I would like to know whether its possible to a bit of preparatory legal work to register, an unregistered car and if so what documents are needed?

I have thought of taking the chassis number to the local distributor to check its ownership status, and thought I would then arrange for my lawyer to take these documents to the police to see if its been reported stolen, but I would also appreciate it if anyone has any other suggestions on what to watch out for.

I talk from expirience: Some people "gambled" their cars (new ones) in Cambodia. Those cars come back on the marked as unregistered (no book) In reality some of them are illegal. If the those cars aren't payd yet, they still belong to the finance company. they maybe even reported as stolen, so the insurance have to clear with the finance company. What happen if you try to register a car like this again? They will confiscate it and i don't think you'll ever beaible to get your money back.

Thanks yes I looked into this some more and it appears that this is almost exactly what happened i.e. its a financed motor left in exchange for gambling debts, but with no book and without permission for transfer, so I walked away.