Marriage Visa

Hi all,

Am British married to Thai with one son holding dual nationality.

We have been living in Japan but are now on holiday in the Uk and going back to Thailand soon to settle.

My question is, must I get a Non - Im 'O' from the UK in order to apply for the marriage visa or can I apply [in Phuket] on a tourist visa?

Also, I am almost 50, should I try for a retirement visa instead?

Cheers,

Jeff

If you arrive in Thailand with a tourist you will then first have to get at an immigration office a change of visa to non-immigrant visa, followed by an extension of stay to live with Thai wife, the so-called marriage extension (not marriage visa)

After you reach the age of 50 you have the choice of marriage extension or retirement extension.

The requirements for the marriage extension are in paragraph 7.17 of the Royal Thai Police Order No. 606/2549, for the retirement extension in paragraph 7.21.

--

Maestro

Yes. Marriage.......40,000 Baht a month income.

Retirement.............65,000 Baht a month income OR 800,000 in the bank OR a combination of the two.

If you wanted you can easily get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa from Hull.

This will take you up to the age of 50 and make it easy to get the Retirement Extension.

Thanks both,

Time is a bit short now to get the non-Im from Hull but is possible I guess.

Is it easy to get the tourist visa 'converted' [is that free] and then apply for the marriage extension and what if they wouldn't let me do it... can you get a non-im 'O' from say Singapore or such?

Cheers,

Jeff

BritRakThai, if you meet the requirements for the marriage extension it is easy to change from tourist visa to non-O. Fee 2,000 Baht. This gives you an additional 90 days permission to stay. During the last 30 days, apply for the marriage extension (fee 1,900 Baht)

--

Maestro

There is no such thing as a marriage visa so what you are asking is for a one year extension of stay - to obtain that you must have a non immigrant visa. That visa can be obtained outside Thailand easily and should be if you have time. If not you can apply for a change by showing the 40k family income proof with marriage documents/wife while you have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay stamp. Cost for visa will be 2,000 baht and later another 1,900 baht for the one year extension of stay.

Retirement is a very easy process if you have 65k per month pension/income or 800k in a bank account 3 months but you must be over age 50 to apply. This can also involve the visa change process above.