A Few Questions About Hua Hin

curryfreak

Hi,

Hua Hin sounds really nice & I am looking forward to checking it out. Right now I am Goa & if there is one thing that really bugs me about the place, it is the constant, unexpected power cuts. Does this happen in Thailand ? I understand it is also common in the Philippines.

Can one easily walk their dog in Hua Hin, dont they get attacked by the street dog's ? In Goa I am constantly on my guard when I walk mine, not very relaxing ! A good thing about Goa is that as a person I feel very safe here, can the same be said about Hua Hin. What about petty crime, bag snatching, break in's etc ?

Finally a general question. I am getting on now & I find the Thai language terribly daunting but in order to have peace of mind one must be able to understand & be understood. How do ex pats manage with the language, it is so different from European languages & I can't seem to get my head around it. :o

No power cuts, very good infrastructure all around much better than India or P.I.

Lots of stray dogs, no guarantees there.

I personally feel safe but there is some petty crime, just use common sense and avoid dark and remote locations.

Thai language is different for everyone, nothing to offer on that count.

Power cuts were very infrequent when I lived there two-three years ago, less frequent than where I live now in Chiang Mai.

I am one of countless farang here who will never learn 48 words of Thai. My friend who just spent his final years in Hua Hin could not speak it, either.

If you are getting on in years, you need to worry about the availability of adequate health care, which is still nonexistent in Hua Hin. They always say that a big new hospital with qualified staff will come next year.

No power cuts, very good infrastructure all around much better than India or P.I.

Lots of stray dogs, no guarantees there.

I personally feel safe but there is some petty crime, just use common sense and avoid dark and remote locations.

Thai language is different for everyone, nothing to offer on that count.

Thanks

Power cuts were very infrequent when I lived there two-three years ago, less frequent than where I live now in Chiang Mai.

I am one of countless farang here who will never learn 48 words of Thai. My friend who just spent his final years in Hua Hin could not speak it, either.

If you are getting on in years, you need to worry about the availability of adequate health care, which is still nonexistent in Hua Hin. They always say that a big new hospital with qualified staff will come next year.

Sound advice about the health, thanks

Me again, how do you compare Chiang Mai with Hua Hin ?

Me again, how do you compare Chiang Mai with Hua Hin ?

Hua Hin has no medical facilities, and it is too far to BKK. Chiang Mai has nearly world class medical care. In CMai, you almost never have to go to BKK. CMai has no beaches, but it has far more things to do, universities, farang, etc.

Hua Hin is a fishing village/Thai family resort beach town that was mostly discovered by foreign tourists and retirees in the last five years. The infrastructure was always ahead of most Thai towns this size because it is the part time home of the King of Thailand. It was just being discovered by the foreign masses when the Tsunami hit down south and then it became a boom town as people looked for alternative locations to take their family to live, vacation, or own a second home in Thailand. Crime, especially violent crime is low imho and is mostly relegated to home burglaries (especially now with the global economic meltdown) and the occasional mugging of a drunken foreigner in a deserted area in the wee hours of the morning by some teenage gang want-a-bees. The only other major crimes I know of are rip offs of unsuspecting retirees by other foreigners (mainly) in the property market.

Overall it is a great place to live but as stated above there is not a good international standard of health care. The two hospitals and many clinics are fine for minor ailments, but for anything serious it is still recommended to go to Bangkok (Some say there is a hospital of much better standard in Petchaburi about 45 minutes away).

The town has definitely become more western-living friendly in the past couple of years with the opening of the first real shopping mall and a couple of new super markets (including a recent Villa Market that caters to western culinary desires).

The soi dogs (wild) seem pretty tame to me most of the time and while my dog likes to fight with them, he is an adopted soi dog himself. I don't think walking your dog would be a problem if your dog isn't aggressive and you don't go in the areas of packs of soi dogs.

The language is tough on most of us. I've been married to a Thai for over 12 years and lived here for over 4 and I can get by with taxi instructions, ordering in a restaurant, and shopping, and counting in Thai, but that's about it. I know a lot of Thai words, can string a few of them together to make myself understood but am in no way fluent. However, I find that most of the Thai people I deal with on a daily basis are in the service or tourist industry and speak enough English that Thai is rarely necessary.

Come for a visit and see what you think before making a life altering decision.

Hua Hin is a fishing village/Thai family resort beach town that was mostly discovered by foreign tourists and retirees in the last five years. The infrastructure was always ahead of most Thai towns this size because it is the part time home of the King of Thailand. It was just being discovered by the foreign masses when the Tsunami hit down south and then it became a boom town as people looked for alternative locations to take their family to live, vacation, or own a second home in Thailand. Crime, especially violent crime is low imho and is mostly relegated to home burglaries (especially now with the global economic meltdown) and the occasional mugging of a drunken foreigner in a deserted area in the wee hours of the morning by some teenage gang want-a-bees. The only other major crimes I know of are rip offs of unsuspecting retirees by other foreigners (mainly) in the property market.

Overall it is a great place to live but as stated above there is not a good international standard of health care. The two hospitals and many clinics are fine for minor ailments, but for anything serious it is still recommended to go to Bangkok (Some say there is a hospital of much better standard in Petchaburi about 45 minutes away).

The town has definitely become more western-living friendly in the past couple of years with the opening of the first real shopping mall and a couple of new super markets (including a recent Villa Market that caters to western culinary desires).

The soi dogs (wild) seem pretty tame to me most of the time and while my dog likes to fight with them, he is an adopted soi dog himself. I don't think walking your dog would be a problem if your dog isn't aggressive and you don't go in the areas of packs of soi dogs.

The language is tough on most of us. I've been married to a Thai for over 12 years and lived here for over 4 and I can get by with taxi instructions, ordering in a restaurant, and shopping, and counting in Thai, but that's about it. I know a lot of Thai words, can string a few of them together to make myself understood but am in no way fluent. However, I find that most of the Thai people I deal with on a daily basis are in the service or tourist industry and speak enough English that Thai is rarely necessary.

Thank you for your very comprehensive & extremely helpful reply. Your Thai sounds like my Spanish. :o

Thanks for that comprhensive & very helpful reply. Your Thai sounds like my Spanish ! :o

Actually Bangkok Hospital Group (think Bangkok Nursing Home) have already announced on their website they will open a private 50 bed hospital in Hua Hin in 2010

In 2009 Hewlett-Packard will open a service centre in Hua Hin so no more trekking your computer to Bangkok for repairs. With the arrival of Villa, I can't think of much else required for a happy retirement. I also love Chiang Mai and maintain a condo there but the air quality in Hua Hin can't be beat anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'd like to move there if I can find a nice serviced apartment/hotel around 15k which is what I pay monthly now. I'm also sick of the "typical" looking farrang toursist/expat here in Pattaya. See pic.

:D photo made me laugh out loud.. thanks! :o