Is It A Big Deal Not To Carry Your Passport?

I have been here since 1993, I have been stopped and fined twice for not carrying my passport, once 2000 baht on a train to chiang mai,once the 900 baht I had in my wallet on the way home from sukhumvit rather the worse for wear.

Did you offer a Thai Driving Licence as an alternative on those occasions? Its always worked for me.

I don't like the tiny laminated credit card things that you can't read, if you're going to carry something in my opinion it should be as legible as what is in your passport (and sometimes the stamps can be difficult to read if they are not freshly inked). As soon as I re-enter Thailand, I scan the new TM6 and entry stamp onto my PC. I have a Word document set up with the ID page of the passport and my retirement extension already in it, so I just insert the two new images and print it out double-sided A4 in colour. I then fold it up and keep it in one of those tiny plastic ziploc condiment pockets that they sell. That keeps the rain off it, and if I lose it or it gets damaged, it's just a case of printing out a new one. It's smaller than a credit card, cheaper than lamination, nicer to carry around, plus the police can actually read the dates it if they ever need to.

It's quite simple .. the law requires that you have your passport with you at all times. A copy is just as illegal as not having one with you at all.

Doing it is another thing. I never carry it with me. I was once picked up by the police who asked me to show my passport. I said I didn't and he said it didn't matter. We drove to my apartment (over 1 hour) and there they checked it.

Yes, and think about it. What a convenient law. A law that makes easily over 90 percent of foreigners on the streets criminals with grounds to be picked up. Do they pick us up? Not often, but they can.

Edited by Jingthing

got some high res images of important docs on my cellphone. unless a doc copy is certified true by the embassy, then i figure my digitial copies are as good as carrying around paper ones, after all, you can always print them at the cop shop if need be :D

You're assuming that they would have a USB cable at the cop shop or perhaps a PC already setup with Bluetooth and accessible to your phone? :o

and a color photocopy of my first page of the passport, my visa, and my latest extension in my wallet at all times.

Of course, that doesn't prove a thing to the examining officer, other than possibly your nationality...as the entry/departure date stamp page could be from anyone's passport.

In Pattaya, over the years there have been some waves of arrests of farangs at night clubs (which were undergoing raids for something or another) who were not carrying their original passport. They just had the bad luck of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

For exactly this reason, often times (but not always) I will take my passport with me when I go out for a nite on the town. Otherwise, just my Thai DL and cc sized passport copy.

15 years here and only ever asked on the check points back from Mae Sai. Had hundreds of traffic stops all over the country and never asked for a passport, just a drivers license. Never interacted with the police for anything other than traffic stops.

I spent a period carrying my passport in a front pocket of my jeans and trousers when I heard the police were cracking down. Never got stopped but my passport pretty quickly soaked up sweat and the lamination over the photo came loose and I was told on a return to the UK that I needed a new one. £90 or whatever it was at the time, so I reverted back to carrying a photocopy of the main ID page.

ive only been asked for a passport once through a military checkpoint.

I see the Thais nervous and panicky when they get to a police trap. The ones caught have a forlorn look on their face as they sit or stand along the side of the road.

I'm never worried. I always show the police respect, and a drivers license gets me through no questions asked.

I was stopped recently while travelling north of Chiang Mai with a Thai woman from Bangkok and the military asked for my passport and a couple got in the back of the car to have a look around.

I wasn't really paying attention and the Thai woman dug around to find my passport, handed it to him, and then later I got it back.

As we were driving away she got quite indignant that they didn't bother to check my passport just flicked through it without reading anything and handing it back and that they didn't really search the car, just lifted up the bags without looking in them. "We could have been hiding drugs in lots of places! They don't know how to do their job!"

I explained that they were probably looking for nervousness from us. As there wasn't any as we had nothing to hide they didn't bother doing the real check or search.

I don't know how well Thai military or police are trained but I've read that the purpose of most airport security searches is to check for nervousness and stress. If its there, they'll pull you out and do the real search

"In Pattaya, over the years there have been some waves of arrests of farangs at night clubs (which were undergoing raids for something or another) who were not carrying their original passport."

If they were arrested it must have been for some other crime.

and a color photocopy of my first page of the passport, my visa, and my latest extension in my wallet at all times.

Of course, that doesn't prove a thing to the examining officer, other than possibly your nationality...as the entry/departure date stamp page could be from anyone's passport.

not possible as each passport page carries the passport number.

What country is your passport from? US passports don't.

"In Pattaya, over the years there have been some waves of arrests of farangs at night clubs (which were undergoing raids for something or another) who were not carrying their original passport."

If they were arrested it must have been for some other crime.

Not true.

The press reports were clear that the arrests when they occurred were simply for not carrying the original passport. If you mean they were present at a nightclub where the nightclub was breaking some law, such as staying open too late, or employing minors or staff with yaba in their piss or not having a valid business license, yes that is correct, but the farangs where only charged with carrying no original passport.

Edited by Jingthing

The press reports were clear that the arrests when they occurred were simply for not carrying the original passport. If you mean they were present at a nightclub where the nightclub was breaking some law, such as staying open too late, or employing minors or staff with yaba in their piss or not having a valid business license, yes that is correct, but the farangs where only charged with carrying no original passport.

I don't doubt what you read, Jing, but I think it's a matter of semantics.

Getting arrested means being charged with a crime and bound over to the courts for arraignment and eventually a trial.

At worst case, a farang who meets up with a police officer who for whatever reason insists on seeing an original passport will be detained (at the station, generally) until the passport is made available for inspection. He will then be fined. Even if he has to spend all night at the station he has not been arrested.

I think the distinction is important because being arrested is a very serious matter.

What country is your passport from? US passports don't.

Sorry Naam, beggin' your pardon sir (humbly bowing, grovelling and wringing cloth cap)... neither do UK passports sir. :o

post-56393-1218277235_thumb.jpg

I don't doubt what you read, Jing, but I think it's a matter of semantics.

Getting arrested means being charged with a crime and bound over to the courts for arraignment and eventually a trial.

At worst case, a farang who meets up with a police officer who for whatever reason insists on seeing an original passport will be detained (at the station, generally) until the passport is made available for inspection. He will then be fined. Even if he has to spend all night at the station he has not been arrested.

I think the distinction is important because being arrested is a very serious matter.

No, getting arrested, charged, and prosecuted are different things. If you are hauled into a police station against your will, that is getting arrested:

arrest

2: seize, capture; specifically : to take or keep in custody by authority of law

I do wonder what happens to people who are arrested who have no way to have someone else fetch their passport? Will they be kept incarcerated? Will they be taken by police to their residence?

Edited by Jingthing

I only carry a copy of my PP and WP. I keep a copies in my travel bag, school bag, and car. Been pulled over twice, stopped in BKK once for a "routine check" and never had a problem. I agree that your passport is to valuable (and bulky) to be carrying around all the time.

"Will they be kept incarcerated?"

Like debtor's prison, there'd be little point in that. How would the BIB get their payment? It's in their interest to get paid and be rid of you. However, if it appears that you don't actually have a passport, then off you go to the IDC (eek!).

"Will they be taken by police to their residence?".

When the mood comes upon them, but if so, you can expect a premium above the standard fine.

Another point: I used to keep my passport locked up in a safe deposit box that was only accessible during certain hours. Then I figured that if the cops wanted to see the passport, it's not much use locked away in a safety box. So now I keep it hidden in my room, and if the worst came to the worst, I can either accompany a cop here and show him the real thing, or else give someone I know and trust the key to my room and they can bring the passport to the cop shop.

N.B. this route is not recommended unless you are happy that your room is secure, or if you don't have any trustworthy friends! :o

When the mood comes upon them, but if so, you can expect a premium above the standard fine.

I don't think being locked up for any serious amount of time, overnight, or days, to be exactly a trivial matter. It sucks they have this power over something that would be irrational for us to do, walk around with our passports.

Edited by Jingthing

Not a problem - most BIB will allow retrieval, after all they aren't stupid. Further more throw a few baht at them and sure they will have amnesia. :o

I've been stopped - showed drivers license and was on my way quicker than a thai lady eating Tum Yum. If its risky so be it, but its even riskier losing your passport.