Settlement Application

Hi All,

I have been called for an interview next week at bhc nairobi for above visa. I was an overstayer for 9 years been with british partner for 6 years and submitted docs required.Returned home on the 26th May so should be considered under 1st October concession(I hope) I made my application at the vfs centre 24th June.I did mention my overstay in the application so as not to hide anything.

From all postings I have read, interview should be about 30 mins and eco will ask questions about stuff on the application form. Is this correct or do I have the wrong info?

Any other bit of advice, please

The length of the interview will largely depend upon the circumstances of the case and the nature of the questions asked by the visa officer, although they will have other interviews to conduct, so they're not going to spend overly long "grilling" you. Given the facts you've mentioned above, the interview is likely to focus on why you overstayed, what you did during those nine years and the strength and depth of your relationship with your partner.

You should be covered by the concession, although the more stringent rules should not apply to your application anyway as settlement applications are excluded. The ECO might try to suggest that you';ve deliberately sought to frustrate the purpose of the Immigration Rules but that is a discretionary ground for refusal and their own instructions say that where someone otherwise meets the requirements of the principal paragraph under which they are applying, they should not be refused solely on discretionary grounds.

Scouse.

The length of the interview will largely depend upon the circumstances of the case and the nature of the questions asked by the visa officer, although they will have other interviews to conduct, so they're not going to spend overly long "grilling" you. Given the facts you've mentioned above, the interview is likely to focus on why you overstayed, what you did during those nine years and the strength and depth of your relationship with your partner.

You should be covered by the concession, although the more stringent rules should not apply to your application anyway as settlement applications are excluded. The ECO might try to suggest that you';ve deliberately sought to frustrate the purpose of the Immigration Rules but that is a discretionary ground for refusal and their own instructions say that where someone otherwise meets the requirements of the principal paragraph under which they are applying, they should not be refused solely on discretionary grounds.

Scouse.

Hi Scouse,

Thanks for your time.

The first 3 years was basicaly spent living with friends , doing babysitting jobs etc. food and accomodation was catered for so I plan to say this is how I survived but blame stupidity and naivitiy for relying on people whom I thought were giving me the right info afterall I found them in the UK so they knew the rules of the country etc.

Next 6 years , I have been living with my partner as a housewife. He is an agent for 3 companies so I sometimes help with emails etc while he is out of the country. Evidence of finances provided to show he can do this.

My partner started divorce proceedings in 2002 and only got it 2005 , settlement in 2006. we looked into

getting married but we were told we needed a coa and they wouldn't give me one because of my status. and by the time he got his half of the settlement I had found out about unmarried partner category on telly , organised myself and here I am.

what do you think.

I can't really say what the outcome will be without having had sight of the papers. However, certainly your overstay should in theory be of little consequence providing that you can show that you meet the requirements of the unmarried partner rules.

Scouse.

I can't really say what the outcome will be without having had sight of the papers. However, certainly your overstay should in theory be of little consequence providing that you can show that you meet the requirements of the unmarried partner rules.

Scouse.

Many thanks, I will post how I get on next week.