Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

HJK Helsinki 0 Celtic 2.

Celtic qualified for the final play off round for the CL with a 2-0 win in Helsinki after a nervy night. Celtic had the better of the first half. Brown should have done better when well placed, Samaras shot across the goal and wide. But the narrow Celtic advantage always made the game uncomfortable viewing. The Austrian referee seemed to awarding an awful lot of free kicks against Celtic some of which looked debateable.

Starting the 2nd half Celic like last week seemed to go to sleep. A centre across the goal saw 2 advancing Helsinki players completley unmarked but luckily Forster blocked the shot out for a corner off his legs. Another nervous moment soon after when a corner was headed goalwards and Forster blocked the ball on the line with his body and the ball spun out for another corner. The ref was handing out cards to Celtic for fouls which the home team seemed to only concede free kicks. With nerves still on edge Mulgrew strode forward in the 68th minute along the right wing. From there he produced an inviting cross and Joe Ledley with a late run breasted into the net for a priceless away goal. Relief all round. But then with 20 minutes to go Wanyama stupidly tripped a Helsinki player in the middle of the field with no apparent danger. He had been booked earlier maybe a bit harsly and he was sent off. On the evidence of both legs he is far to prone to behave stupidly and is a handicap to the side unless he starts to think . Celtic survived in reasonable comfort though you always felt if Helsinki scored it would be sweatsville again as the possibility of a 2nd goal and extra time with ten men was not an appealing thought. With 3 minutes to go Celtic

wrapped iit up. HJK were pushing forward in desperation and were caught when Ledley and Samaras were playes onside. Ledley pulled it back and Samaras finished.

Celtic are seeded for the final playoff round but at worst they have assured themselves of European football until the end of the year.

Draw for final Playoff round

Helsingborgs (Sweden) v Celtic.

I wonder who Henrik will be supporting. What do you think CB? I am talking to myself for the last couple of weeks. I am always wary of these matches as Celtic have managed to cock it up many times in the past. Unlike 4 years ago at the same stage we were drawn against Arsenal and knew we hadn't a hope, we must have a decent chance of getting through this time.

I wonder who Henrik will be supporting. What do you think CB? I am talking to myself for the last couple of weeks. I am always wary of these matches as Celtic have managed to cock it up many times in the past. Unlike 4 years ago at the same stage we were drawn against Arsenal and knew we hadn't a hope, we must have a decent chance of getting through this time.

You could use a bit more quality but I'd put chances at 60/40.

What do you gents reckon?

Talk to yourself no more Salty old son. I am back from yet another TV banning. The Olympics were a treat, wouldn't you say so? I feel all British all of a sudden . . . . not. Looking forward to the CL games. Kind of happy the first one is away from home. I would like to see another away victory in Europe as they are so scarce.I'm sure Henrik will be happy whatever the outcome!!!

Edited by CelticBhoy

I will be in Thailand when both legs are played. As there is no English side involved there must be a fair chance that both games will be shown. Sky will be showing the 2nd leg in these parts.

Good to have you back CB.

Welcome back to Thailand, Salty old son.

Hope you missed Saturday's game. 1-1.

The only thing good about it was the weather.

Your dislike of Wanyama together with mine

for Samaras made it a game to forget.

We really didn't deserve the draw.

Anyway, roll on Tuesday!

Thanks for good wishes CB.

Yea I missed it. Seems to have been another unimpressive performance. The 1/33 favourites could well have only one point so far only for a few goalkeeping clangers.

Any hope the games against Helsingbors will be on Thai tv I wonder? No English clubs involved this year.

So here we are at the gates of Champions League

football with millions of pounds and euros at

our feet while that new 8-week-old team from

the poor side of Glasgow are scrapping it out

in the Ramadan Cup for a first prize of a bag

of chips. It's a funny old game!!!

Celtic played a lot of younger lads against

ICT on Saturday but it paid off big style.

Finished 4-2 but only because we slowed up

at 4-0 and let our guard down. Watts was

impressive to say the least. Again the

weather looked great in the North!

Roll on Wednesday. I can't wait. Should

be a belter.

(See Rangers drew with Rangers!)

A fine ditty from CQN:

Do you remember six years ago we mocked Paul Le Guen’s Rangers with, “You’re fourth in the SPL…” Poor Sevco are fourth in the fourth tier of Scottish football. Give that guy McCoist another 5% of the shares, he’s absolutely priceless.

A surprisingly easy win on Saturday.Now for the main business on Wednesday. If Helsingborg were to score first(perish the thought) it could be a nervy old night. Hopefully we can avoid any slipups and sail on calm waters to the Champions League.

And all at home in front of the fire at a sensible time. Thanks to Sky Plus all Celtic matches live.

Speak for yourself, Salty old son. It'll be middle of the night streaming for most of those games out here. Bring it on!!!

Edited by CelticBhoy

Yes CB, One of the drawbacks of living in Thailand IMO.

Looking at the schedule it could hardly be better. Going to Moscow early October and later on Barcelona and Lisbon. No problems with either extreme heat or extreme cold.

Job done the other night,, mind you I'll have to set the alarm to get up a bit earlier next time,, missed most of the first half trying to get a decent streaming site,, any recommendations for a reliable streaming site for the upcoming Celtic games??

Last year had a good deal with my local cable supplier Cat cable, they supplied a live SPL game every week with a couple of relays of the game throughout the week, unfortunately that's gone now

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I had to do a bit of searching the other night to find a decent stream. Missed the 1st goal but finally sucessful. Amazed to see that little pipsqeak late of Sky Richard Keys talking to John Collins and John Hartson at half time. I was wondering what TV station that was. I lost that stream early in the 2nd half and had to go searching again. Finally got back on the game on RTE 2 Irish TV to my surprise.

This streaming business seems to be a lottery. Plenty of options if you are prepared to pay. But many other come to a dead end. More searching today for Hibs game though it is hardly as important as Wednesday's game. I was wondering about some of these ppv options. For someone living in Thailand would they be a good investment?