Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Celtic held on to reach the semifinal. With their recent results at Hampden it is far too early to be dreaming of a double.

I know you are trying to spice it up and maybe make it look like there is some competition but honestly Salty, who is there to give you any competition?

At least we will have some silver in our trophy cabinet AGAIN this year. And next year, and the next. . .

That's my point. You know every year that you will win (although I think the term win should be ammended to gifted). What satisfaction you can get is beyond me. It's like me having a race against my daughter every week and then gloating to my wife that I beat her. But whatever keeps you happy.

Meanwhile Scottish football continues to leak attendances.....its an absolute shambles in every sense.

I wouldn't watch even one game now...where twenty five years ago it was a good league.

I am only jumping in to defend supporters of Scottish football, Mr. BJ. I feel sorry for the fans who are stuck with what they have week in week out. Granted, the bulk of the teams are crap but that doesn't mean the wee man in Fyfe, or wherever, shouldn't take his kids along for a Saturday afternoon and cheer the local team. I couldn't care less if the competition is below par to outsiders looking in and I am sure most Scots don't care also. I don't want to sound overly defensive but don't you worry about Scotland and it's teams and let them get on with what they have got.

I am only jumping in to defend supporters of Scottish football, Mr. BJ. I feel sorry for the fans who are stuck with what they have week in week out. Granted, the bulk of the teams are crap but that doesn't mean the wee man in Fyfe, or wherever, shouldn't take his kids along for a Saturday afternoon and cheer the local team. I couldn't care less if the competition is below par to outsiders looking in and I am sure most Scots don't care also. I don't want to sound overly defensive but don't you worry about Scotland and it's teams and let them get on with what they have got.

Is your father the chairman of the SFA CB?

Blinkered beyond belief!

I am only jumping in to defend supporters of Scottish football, Mr. BJ.

Sorry CB. I didn't intend for you to have to defend anything, it was a serious question trying to gain an understanding as to how you guys feel the football is going and I honestly feel without Rangers, it ain't going the right way.

I don't want to sound overly defensive but don't you worry about Scotland and it's teams and let them get on with what they have got.

Fair enough.

Is your father the chairman of the SFA CB?

Blinkered beyond belief!

Just to qualify this....I'm not singling out your club for any specific blame in the decline of the Scottish game. I just feel those at the top of the SFA are bungling morons who should be taken out on Glasgow Green and flogged before being hung drawn and quartered.

I hope that makes my position clear.

So what about the future of your national game,did you forget that? If the competition is not there then the people will stop going as they are doing now......the kids will stop playing as they have no stars to copy in the back streets or just plain bored as the football is of such a low level that they can see the same in the park,or presumably you want them to start following the English Premier League like they have started to do already!

As an Englishman we don't worry about Scottish football and let you get on with what you have got(look what is happening)your opinion is so backward that in twenty years from now you will be lucky to have a position in any European competition nationally or Internationally.

What has happened at Rangers can happen to Celtic also.Anyway good luck to the wee man from fife when his sons tell him that they would rather go and watch the rugby!

• Like 1

Personally the Scottish game needs a shake up. Rangers dropping the the SFL 3 was the start of something. Its time that clubs start looking at the big picture. What is needed is a level playing field.Lets look at what happened to Rangers. What if it had happened to Celtic? Would the fans feel the same. Time to shake it up and freshen it up. For the benefit of the Scottish game. Things must change.

Juventus 2 Celtic 0 (5-0 agg).

A game performance by Celtic in Turin ended in a 2-0 defeat. Celtic had plenty of possession as Juventus were happy to funnel back and soak up the pressure in the time honoured Italian style.

Celtic had plenty of the ball early on and Ledley had a good shot which went narrowly wide. Juventus went ahead in the 24th minute. From a Celtic point of view it was preventable. Hooper lost the ball badly in his own half and Celtic were on the back foot. A low shot through Wilson's legs was blocked by Foster who could'nt hold it and Matri pounced for the lead goal. In fairness to the keeper he probably saw the ball late and did well to get down and block it. Matthews who

otherwise had a good game failed to cover Matri's run.

Celtic were almost level a few minutes later. Commons for once getting some room had a shot which was slighted diverted by Hooper. Buffon lived up to his reputation with a terrific save getting the ball away for a corner. Mostly Celtic crosses were from far out and the Italians dealt comfortably with them. Samaras made one good run to the end line and whipped the ball across. But it was too heavy and Hooper sliding in was not able to connect. Forster made a good stop before half time. Izaguirre crossed and Kayal had a header at goal but it was an easy save for Buffon.

Wanyama went off just after half time due to leg strain replaced by Ambrose. Juve began to press and Forster made another good save. 6 minutes later Matthew went off injured and was replaced by Forrest. Ambrose had a chance but his header went into the ground and harmlessly wide. Juventus went 2-0 up in 65 minutes. A superb inch perfect ball from Pirlo cleared Izaguirre. leaving Vidal clear and he squared for Quagriella who rolled it over the line. At this stage you feared it might be a heavy defeat but Celtic stuck at it and survived without further punishment. Late on Samaras had a decent chance but it was very disapointing to see his shot go harmlessly over the top.

So as expected the end of the road in the Champions League for this season. It has been an epic journey. As regards next season there will be an English side lurking in the qualifying competition and hopefully we can avoid them.

• Like 1

Not the first time Ross County have rained on our parade. This time it cost us 3 points which we can easily afford. But a reality check for our hopes of winning the cup.

BTW CB, A former "colorful" goalie of ours Artur Boruc playing for Southampton saved a last minute penalty against Norwich and earned his side a point in a goalless draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in action again after International break Celtic moved a point closer to the title with a 1-1 draw away to St. Mirren. A fine header by Commons had Celtic ahead after 5 minutes but St Mirren were far from discouraged and were close to an equaliser when Kayal headed off the line. They had a goal disallowed when Forster was barged off the ball and the Saints were close on a few other occassions. Approaching half time Commons was carried off after Kayal under pressure collided with him. Celtic opted not to bring on a sub as half time was imminent and almost paid the price when Samaras handled from a 2nd successive corner but got away with it much to the displeasure of the home team.

More controversy when Wanyama was sent off 10 minutes into the 2nd half when he was late on McGowan. A red card seemed harsh and it seemed a yellow would have been more appropiate. Celtic were under pressure for the remainder but seemed to be reasonably comfortable until 10 minutes from the end when Izaguirre was judged to have fouled Goncalves and St Mirren were awarded a penalty which McGowan converted. It looked a very dodgy award with the alleged contact outside the box and more than a suspicion of a dive. 2 wrongs making a right perhaps. Celtic held on for the remaider to earn a point which probably was a fair result overall.

Hopefully this will serve to banish any ideas of a sure thing next week in the Cup semi final.

I think it is safe to have a celebratory drink CB. A late Motherwell equaliser deprived us of the mathematical certainty but to all intents and purposes we are over the line. Just saw the goals on Sky. 2 good finishes by commons and a dodgy 3rd by Lustig.biggrin.png

Dundeee Utd 3 Celtic 4 (AET)

Celtic just about got through to the final. A great start with a goal from Kris Commons inside 2 minutes but worrying signs in the defence very early. Lustig missed a sitter with a close range header against the bar he should have buried (remember Ki twice in last years semi) DU equalised shortly after. Wilson far too ponderous robbed by Daly in midfield who started the move finished by Mackay-Steven. One wondered where the rest of the Celtic defence were. Izaguirre gave away a stupid free kick and Daly scored from the perfectly delivered free kick. I thought Forster was very poor and made no effort to claim the ball in the 6 yard box. Fortunately DU concentration lapsed and Wanyama headed a quick equaliser from a cross by Izaguirre. Wanyama barged clumisly into the back of a DU player in the area and Celtic were fortunate not to concede a penalty. HT 2-2 but the defence were giving cause for concern looking very fragile.

Celtic seemed to be aware of this and pressed hard for most of the second half. They went ahead again through Commons when a centre was missed by the defence and went in off him. Replays showed it went in off his arm so Celtic got another huge break. DU were not finished and Daly equalised with a fine looping header from a cross. Very poor effort by Wanyama to cut out the cross. This came with twenty minutes to go and despite late Celtic pressure game went to extra time.

Early in extra time Celtic had a lucky escape when a DU header hit the upright and was then Forster saved the follow up. Celtic got the winner near the end of 1st half extra time when Stokes on as a sub headed in a cross from Forrest. They managed to survive the 2nd period to qualify for the final.

Overall despite Lenny being full of praise for the Bhoys he will surely realise they were very lucky to win ..

Celtic wrapped up the Title with a 4-1 home win today over Inverness Caley. It was hard to imagine this outcome at HT when it was 0-0 after an almost featureless 1st half when Celtic had plenty of possession but did very little with it.

However once Hooper opened the scoring in 61 minutes with a neat finish to the corner Celtic upped the tempo. He has been quiet of late and this was a welcome return to form.Surviving some Caley pressure Ledley made it 2-0 6 minutes later with a touch to control and then to finish. Hooper again in 73 minutes and Samaras on as a sub blasted one in off the underside of the bar in 88 minutes. A late Caley goal did little to dampen the celebrations among the faithful.

Lenny had to wait 15 minutes before emerging on the pitch to join the celebrations due to reactivation of his 3 match suspension from last year caused by his use of industrial language a few weeks back.

No doubt CB was as shocked as I was.whistling.gif

• Like 1

I watched you beat Caley in the cup a few years ago up north....I wasn't surprised although you were <deleted> for most of the game.

Congratulations on willing a worthless league title. I am sure you are all proud of it.

A 3-1 defeat at Motherwell. It seemed an unlikely scenario when Celtic led 1-0 coming up to half time. Hooper headed against the bar and then netted the rebound after great work from Watt.

Randolph seemed a bit rash by leaving his goal had earlier made a great block from Hooper. Right on half time Motherwell equalised when Rogne was beaten on the halfway line and Motherwell took full advantage. Ojamaa was put through held off Mulgrew and finished clinically into the corner.

Motherwell struck decisive blows in the opening ten minutes of the second half. Mulgrew was caught out on the wrong side of Ojamaa. As he tried to get goalside of him he clipped his heels and there was no doubt about the penalty. Higdon finished emphatically. No doubt he enjoyed it even more given the ungracious remarks of Lenny during the week regarding the nominations for the Player of the Year. Within 5 minutes Motherwell went 3-1 up when Hateley crossed and although there was an offside the ball would have gone harmlessly wide but Lustig in trying to clear headed the ball against the upright and it rebounded into the net off Forster.

Despite a good deal of pressure Celtic were unable to mount a comeback and Forster made a few decent saves to prevent further goals.

Personally the Scottish game needs a shake up. Rangers dropping the the SFL 3 was the start of something. Its time that clubs start looking at the big picture. What is needed is a level playing field.Lets look at what happened to Rangers. What if it had happened to Celtic? Would the fans feel the same. Time to shake it up and freshen it up. For the benefit of the Scottish game. Things must change.

I agree.