Online Language Survival Kit

desi

What fun.

Some of these might be useful. Some not.

Up to how you live/work really.

For instance...

Stop! หยุดนะ

Stop or I will shoot. หยุดนะไม่งั้นผมจะยิง

Follow our orders. ทำตามคำสั่งของเรา

Don't shoot. อย่ายิง

Put your weapon down. วางอาวุธของคุณลง

You can download all here...

And (previously mentioned) there's the FSI gov course, downloaded for free here...

What fun.

For instance...

Stop! หยุดนะ

Don't shoot. อย่ายิง

And (previously mentioned) there's the FSI gov course, downloaded for free here...

Are you sure this is legal?:

post-35489-1218391703_thumb.jpg

What fun.

For instance...

Stop! หยุดนะ

Don't shoot. อย่ายิง

Are you sure this is legal?:

post-35489-1218391703_thumb.jpg

If it's not legal, then why is it easily accessible via google?

(not sure if what I wrote even makes sense...)

If they don't want it to be accessible, then why in the heck don't they lock it down? I mean, the common man does not have a clue about levels of gov security.

Edited by desi

If it's not legal, then why is it easily accessible via google?

(not sure if what I wrote even makes sense...)

If they don't want it to be accessible, then why in the heck don't they lock it down? I mean, the common man does not have a clue about levels of gov security.

:D Google access = legal? Hmm, I'm sure a lawyer could argue against that one!

It just seems like if they find out who/where you are they can come a-knocking on your door and poke around your PC. That could be embarrassing! :o

It just seems like if they find out who/where you are they can come a-knocking on your door and poke around your PC. That could be embarrassing! :o

All I had was the entry page to the lessons so I had to hunt around to find those bits. In reading, it's just a legal disclaimer of copyright. Government style.

It says that by using the IS, one consents to a range of points. I admit, it gets a bit weird after that... logic goes out the window pretty fast actually. It's a Thai language lesson on the internet for those in combat situations. Not instructions for bomb building (and those are easily found online anyway).

License: You are granted a limited license to use (display or print) the Materials, provided the Materials are not modified and are used as intended. Any other use of the Materials or Services is prohibited. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. None of the Materials or Services may be otherwise reproduced, re-published, re-disseminated or otherwise provided in any manner or form without the prior written consent of DLIFLC or the third party to which the intellectual property rights belong.

But I doubt the US gov is going to come out to Thailand to check my computer to see which sound bites I've modified.

And seriously, I'd be hard pressed to use any of their Thai language materials as I do not take prisoners. I shoot first.

(Sourced from 'pood len!' on page 11 of the Thai language manual)

ส้วม is a more direct word for 'toilet' than ห้องน้ำ. The transcription 'suwam' is a bit weird but I think I understand why they have chosen it. '[F]suam' is more common - but that does invite some native English speakers to emphasize the 'am' syllable and pronounce it 'am' (as in 'I am') rather than 'um' as in RP English [®um].

Also the sample dialog for fruit is 'pon-mai'. We all know that is wrong!

Well, yes, the regular pronunciation is '[R]phon-[M (or H)]la-[H]maai' but the 'pon-mai' is not altogether wrong. On rare occasions I have heard it pronounced like that. It agrees more with what you would intuitively assume from the Thai spelling ผลไม้ where it will not be completely self-evident that the ล at the end of ผล doubles to form a second syllable.

• 2 weeks later...
ส้วม is a more direct word for 'toilet' than ห้องน้ำ. The transcription 'suwam' is a bit weird but I think I understand why they have chosen it. '[F]suam' is more common - but that does invite some native English speakers to emphasize the 'am' syllable and pronounce it 'am' (as in 'I am') rather than 'um' as in RP English [®um].
Also the sample dialog for fruit is 'pon-mai'. We all know that is wrong!

Well, yes, the regular pronunciation is '[R]phon-[M (or H)]la-[H]maai' but the 'pon-mai' is not altogether wrong. On rare occasions I have heard it pronounced like that. It agrees more with what you would intuitively assume from the Thai spelling ผลไม้ where it will not be completely self-evident that the ล at the end of ผล doubles to form a second syllable.

Thanks Meadish for taking the time to reply. As always I look forward to reading your replies, along with the replies by SiameseKitty, Bambina, and a host of others. :o