Pal To Ntsc Converter?

helitool

Does anyone know where I can find a converter here in CM that will change the Thai type TV signal (PAL) into the type used in the USA (NTSC)? We brought a 50" wide screen over with us and while it works just fine for DVD's and computer downloads it will not accept the signal put out by the satellite dish.

Does anyone know where I can find a converter here in CM that will change the Thai type TV signal (PAL) into the type used in the USA (NTSC)? We brought a 50" wide screen over with us and while it works just fine for DVD's and computer downloads it will not accept the signal put out by the satellite dish.

perhaps one of the mods could move this to the internet forum where you are more likely to get a response.

as far as i know, tv sets nowdays are compatible with all systems of the world. both picture and audio. i am sure you would have tried to select PAL if its available as an option through your remote control and hence the question here.

you can try to pay a visit to Amorn OHS in either Carrefour or Amorn OHS in Icon Plaza and see if they have such a converter. i shall be paying them a visit tomorrow and shall report back here if there is a converter available there. They had those converters everywhere about 10 years ago and just a bit surprised that your TV set does not support PAL signals.

TB..

as far as i know, tv sets nowdays are compatible with all systems of the world. both picture and audio.

Not at all true, at least with respect to picture. Multi-system TV's, which are compatible with at least most of the systems of the world, are becoming more common in some places, but they are still only a small percentage of all TV's sold.

The only suggestion I can make for the benefit of the OP is that if you are unable to find a converter, you might look into whether there are any multi-system DVD players available here (I bought mine in Japan and don't know about availability here) and, if so, whether you might be able to use one as, in effect, a converter.

I haven't seen a TV in the UK in the past 10 years that wasn't capable of displaying both PAL and NTSC and that applies to the cheap-as-chips ones, not just the quality brands.

Interesting. My experience during the last ten years, reflected in my earlier comment, is limited to Japan, Canada, the U.S. and Thailand.

North America differs in this respect, possibly because the majority of the population is less exposed to and interested in watching foreign programming. Most viewers in PAL countries will however have an interest in at least some US programming.

I think the advice about a DVD player could be a good idea. My Pioneer DV 585 KS which was manufactured and bought here in Thailand supports output of all types of formats.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I have been to Amon and every other place sugested by various shop owners. I actually found one that was for converting NTSC to PAL (it was probably ordered by mistake by the shop owner). One owner said he has one and they work very well, unfortunatly the only one he had was hooked to his own wide screen TV.

Our TV is a 50" Toshiba purchased about 4 years ago that we have hooked a Mac Mini computer up to and use it to watch my wifes american sitcomes on that I download from the net. She now wants Thai stations So we got the UBC package for local chanels only and of course their satellite box puts out pal. We have a friend in BKK looking for one so maybe he will have some luck.

Cheers, Ray

I can't guarantee that this is still true, but when researching making some DVD's for sale a few years back I found that in the USA it was illegal to offer for sale a device (other than a computer I guess) that could use PAL. They had to be strictly NTSC.

really? hope they still able to control piracy doing the same thing now :o

Edited by tigerbeer

I can't guarantee that this is still true, but when researching making some DVD's for sale a few years back I found that in the USA it was illegal to offer for sale a device (other than a computer I guess) that could use PAL. They had to be strictly NTSC.

really? hope they still able to control piracy doing the same thing now :D

I hate inaccurate posts so I have searched to find where I got my information and for the life of me I cannot find it. I have found stores selling PAL in the U.S. so my previous post may not be accurate. I also found that the U.S. is changing in 2009 to a new standard called ATSC.

As none of this helps the OP I guess just disregard :o

really? hope they still able to control piracy doing the same thing now :D

I hate inaccurate posts so I have searched to find where I got my information and for the life of me I cannot find it. I have found stores selling PAL in the U.S. so my previous post may not be accurate. I also found that the U.S. is changing in 2009 to a new standard called ATSC.

As none of this helps the OP I guess just disregard :o

While we are in the middle of posting posts to be disregarded, I had an at least equally disregardable thought about yours, silverhawk_usa, so let me share. I wonder if what you found a few years ago might not have been that DVD players that could play non-U.S. region DVDs -- remember how legit DVDs were, and may still be, made region-specific, so you could play a particular DVD only on a player made for that region? -- were not allowed to be sold in the U.S.A. Just a random thought.

Edited by Rasseru

just to add to the disregarded posts, all i can think about at this point of technology is H264 compression on Blu Ray :o

edit:

I also took the liberty of reading about ATSC and here is it from wikipedia

ATSC standards document a digital television format which will replace the analog NTSC television system[1] by February 17, 2009 in the United States,[2] and August 31, 2011 in Canada.[3] It was developed by the Advanced Television Systems Committee.

The high definition television standards defined by the ATSC produce wide screen 16:9 images up to 1920×1080 pixels in size — more than six times the display resolution of the earlier standard. However, a host of different image sizes are also supported, so that up to six standard-definition "virtual channels" can be broadcast on a single 6 MHz TV channel.

ATSC also boasts "theater quality" audio because it uses the Dolby Digital AC-3 format to provide 5.1-channel surround sound. Numerous auxiliary datacasting services can also be provided.

so its basically more in regards to video resolutions and audio outputs. Don't see it any different from what we already have out there.

Edited by tigerbeer