Where To Fix Dvd Player?

cmsally

I have an Aiwa DVD player which I have had for I think about 4yrs; never a problem.

In fact it is tape , radio, DVD, VCD in one with separate speakers.

Now it won't play DVDs - it says reading and then after a while can't play.

Tapes and radio fine. On VCDs it plays the sound but no picture, whereas on DVD nothing and no counter for playing just a message saying can't play. Tried loads of different discs, all the same.

The problem started with playing a small portion of the disc and then stopping. It did that a couple of times and then just wouldn't play.

Does something need to be cleaned? Or does it need to be hauled off to get fixed?

I have an Aiwa DVD player which I have had for I think about 4yrs; never a problem.

In fact it is tape , radio, DVD, VCD in one with separate speakers.

Now it won't play DVDs - it says reading and then after a while can't play.

Tapes and radio fine. On VCDs it plays the sound but no picture, whereas on DVD nothing and no counter for playing just a message saying can't play. Tried loads of different discs, all the same.

The problem started with playing a small portion of the disc and then stopping. It did that a couple of times and then just wouldn't play.

Does something need to be cleaned? Or does it need to be hauled off to get fixed?

For 80-90 Baht go buy a DVD/CD cleaning kit. It has a CD, clean cloth, and cleaning fluid. Follow instructions on package and you'll be done in 5 minutes. You simply insert the CD into the player let it run a few minutes you're done.

If the cleaning doesn't do the trick I'd opt for a new DVD player if I were you. There are plenty of OK ones around for under 1500 baht and most will have quality and features (like a USB port, DiVX & MP3 playback, progressive scan) that your old player almost certainly lacks. Keep it for playing sounds if that part works OK.

Both Armorn OHS shops do great repairs on appliances

What are the prices like at Armorn? Do they have a minimum charge? Can they fix things for less than 100 Baht including a part or two?

What things? What parts?

Amorn's pricing is pretty good but they stop short of miracles. This is 2008 and it's getting tough to find a street stall selling food for less than 30 baht so fixing appliances for the price of three bowls of noodles seems a bit of a tall order. :o

What are the prices like at Armorn? Do they have a minimum charge? Can they fix things for less than 100 Baht including a part or two?

What things? What parts?

Amorn's pricing is pretty good but they stop short of miracles. This is 2008 and it's getting tough to find a street stall selling food for less than 30 baht so fixing appliances for the price of three bowls of noodles seems a bit of a tall order. :o

last time i took two cheapo dvd players for repairs. well not really cheapo but around 1500 per machine is what i paid when i bought them. both of them lenses got screwed. sent them both to amorn and it cost me 300 baht a piece. still working fine after 6 months. will get a new one when any of them go berserk.

What things? What parts?

Just curious because last week I had two items repaired, one for 80 Baht and one for 100 Baht which included a couple of parts. Same guy has repaired a lot of things for me for less than 100 baht each and often that included some parts. He has done TV's, a DVD player that the manufacturer twice failed to fix for more than twice his price, an ultrasound device, an electronic keyboard and a bike computer just to name a few and only twice over 100 Baht. We used to discuss the specific parts and their cost but I do not bother him about that anymore. But you are right, it is a tall order and thanks for reminding me that this is 2008.

What things? What parts?

Just curious because last week I had two items repaired, one for 80 Baht and one for 100 Baht which included a couple of parts. Same guy has repaired a lot of things for me for less than 100 baht each and often that included some parts. He has done TV's, a DVD player that the manufacturer twice failed to fix for more than twice his price, an ultrasound device, an electronic keyboard and a bike computer just to name a few and only twice over 100 Baht. We used to discuss the specific parts and their cost but I do not bother him about that anymore. But you are right, it is a tall order and thanks for reminding me that this is 2008.

Sounds like a deal! :D

I'll get on to you when something breaks...