What Do You Miss Most...

caretina

... from your home country - living in thailand?

just a little survey.

for me it is definitively being cold and having to wear a pullover or even better: a warm jacket.

I miss being able to sort out problems with 'phone companies etc. At home, if the problem was being ignored, you could always take it higher until someone sorted it out. Here, forget it!

I also miss understanding how the system works and therefore, being able to work my way round it.

When dealing with a governmental agency, being able to go to one person (or one internet site) and getting a definitive answer as to the proper procedures and documentation needed.

It seems to me that this site is quiet good for advice, isn't it?

I miss proper beer (i.e. English Beer)

The list could be endless from ross's pickle onions to marks & spencers pork pies.

What I really mss is the right to have my goverment pension index linked after pying into the scheme for over 40 years. Them extra few quid ayear so mount up to an appreciable monthly amount for a guy on a state pension.

The rest of the now big brother attitude they are welcome too.

What do I miss?

Coming from Japan, when in BKK Carefour I feel like an unleashed North Korean peasant. Grabbing, shopping what I don't really need, and salivating along the way.

BKK is so much more cosmopolitan, everyone speaks some form of English.

And the (international) goods are there, available.

I miss my sense of "it's not a famine time, no need to stock food".

I miss the change of season from autumn to winter. The nights are so crisp at that time of year. I also miss the feeling of belonging that never comes no matter how long I live in Thailand. Having said that though, I am happy with my life in Thailand.

Other things I miss:

an excellent steak

beer (specifically American microbrews)

a real American breakfast - specifically the chicken fried steak and eggs they serve at Goodies in San Gabriel (although the one served at Norm's, in El Monte, is also excellent)

a little hole in the wall called Rick's Burritos, in Pasadena

Las Vegas

my workshop

I miss logical reasoning.

Really, that's about all i miss. I dont miss the cold, i dont miss the change of seasons. I laugh that i can wear a t-shirt all year round.

But logical reasoning. Informed debate. And putting the world to rights down at a pub.

Thats what i miss.

When dealing with a governmental agency, being able to go to one person (or one internet site) and getting a definitive answer as to the proper procedures and documentation needed.

It seems to me that this site is quiet good for advice, isn't it?

It certainly is....but this site is not a government entity. This site exists in large part due to complete, concise, consistent information not being available from the official source.

Jocks that actually fit without cutting off the circulation to your balls sensative parts. (Before the accusations come flying I'm a 34" waist. :o )

Proper meat.

Proper cheese.

Eating breakfast.

Proper gravy.

My mum's cut lunches.

Comfortable height dunnies.

Benson & Hedges.

Cricket.

Aussie Rules.

All weekend 24hr nightclubs. No, I've grown out of that!

Just a few items!

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

Pubs. Pubs with Guinness. Pubs without bargirls and the dross that goes with them. Pubs. Pubs where you could have the craic. Pubs. Pubs with live music played by people under fifty. Pubs with comfy chairs and barstools and not hastily slung up bamboo shacks with a tinny music system blaring out boom boom boom I want you in my room. Pubs. Pubs. PUBS.

I miss snow at Christmas, real ground beef, being able to sip Iced Tea, rather than guzzle it before the ice melts. Breyers Ice Cream, Wendy's Hamburgers, my tools, my cars and bikes and being able to fish with worms, instead of ground of meal.

Pubs. Pubs with Guinness. Pubs without bargirls and the dross that goes with them. Pubs. Pubs where you could have the craic. Pubs. Pubs with live music played by people under fifty. Pubs with comfy chairs and barstools and not hastily slung up bamboo shacks with a tinny music system blaring out boom boom boom I want you in my room. Pubs. Pubs. PUBS.

Not hearing a song sang..... "Rike a Lock". :o