Minister Clarifies Foreign Land Ownership Change Rumours

Deputy Foreign Minister clarifies foreign land ownership change rumours

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister admits he was disheartened by allegations he is seeking to take action detrimental to the nation

Deputy Minister of Interior Prasong Kositanont (ประสงค์ โฆษิตานนท์) clarified rumors that he was preparing to amend laws to allow the purchase of land by foreigners, replacing current regulations allowing only extended leases, saying that although such an idea could be beneficial it must first be thoroughly studied.

Mr. Prasong responded to claims he was working converse to the best interests of the nation, affirming that he would take no action unless a solid conclusion on the matter was made and assured that he would not allow for any detriment to the nation. The deputy minister admitted he was disheartened by the rumors but assured that it would not affect his work.

He stated that the matter was not a pressing issue and thus he would not pursue it for the time being, instead he said that the more pressing matter was that of alotting land for the homeless.

The deputy minister stated that the current issue is not tied to events during the administration of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in which investors from Brunei were allegedly being allowed to purchase national land for agriculture.

Mr. Prasong said that he will establish advisors, admitting that he may not yet be knowledgeable enough in the matters of the Interior Ministry. He also said that the former Interior Minister's work will be carried on through appropriate legal procedures and will not be interfered with.

-- PRD 2008-08-11

The guy said nothing.

And nothing will happen.

I don't know...why stir-up a hornets nest for no reason. Maybe a trial balloon to get the issue out there...and start the softening up process to eventually making some substantial changes sometime down the road (but not in the immediate future).

The guy said nothing.

And nothing will happen.

I don't know...why stir-up a hornets nest for no reason. Maybe a trial balloon to get the issue out there...and start the softening up process to eventually making some substantial changes sometime down the road (but not in the immediate future).

It's a PR.

Thais will have to change their anthem that says "every inch of Thai land belongs to Thais".

A far stretch for any politician, especially those now in (shaky) power.

IMO, the news can just be ignored.

A nation which spawns political parties with names such as Thai Rak Thai, People Power, etc., and is prepaired to go up in arms re. the rights to some old pile of bricks, is by nature unlikely to give land rights to ferangs. This sentiment is ingrained right throughout Thai society.

All Thai political parties use populism and nationalism to gain support

A nation which spawns political parties with names such as Thai Rak Thai, People Power, etc., and is prepaired to go up in arms re. the rights to some old pile of bricks, is by nature unlikely to give land rights to ferangs. This sentiment is ingrained right throughout Thai society.

A minor correction...it's not "ferangs", it is "farangs" or "falangs".

Then it comes.

Some other countries have odd names for their rulling paries (Turkey, India...) , no drama about that.

And, why would Thais let foreigners own any land in their (Thai) country?

What they know, they let farangs come and die, marry bargirls and buy houses and keep the wheels of the construction industry (and jobs) turning. Plus general demand for everything and anything.

To prepare for that, rather than changing their national anthem, they built a few hospitals to milk farangs insurance companies money.

It's a PR.

Thais will have to change their anthem that says "every inch of Thai land belongs to Thais".

Quite possibly...but maybe not. Even extending legal leaseholds for foreigners to 75 or 99 years would be a big improvement (and could be easily sold to the masses as not giving away an inch of precious Thai soil).

It's a PR.

Quite possibly...but maybe not. Even extending legal leaseholds for foreigners to 75 or 99 years would be a big improvement (and could be easily sold to the masses as not giving away an inch of precious Thai soil).

If there was any drive among the Thais to do anything about that , it would not have been left to a deputy of a deputy in a (still elected but Mickey Mouse) government (deputuy of a deputy) leader to announce.

Rubbish news, as much as we have hoped it may bring something new.

Then it comes.

Some other countries have odd names for their rulling paries (Turkey, India...) , no drama about that.

What they know, they let farangs come and die, marry bargirls and buy houses and keep the wheels of the construction industry (and jobs) turning. Plus general demand for everything and anything.

To prepare for that, rather than changing their national anthem, they built a few hospitals to milk farangs insurance companies money.

The names of the parties are not odd my odd friend - they are nationalist (my point)

As to your othere ramblings i realy can't decipher your meaning or intent.

However, even with your deplorable grammar you have masterd the spelling of ferang ( i prefer ferang)

Then it comes.

The names of the parties are not odd my odd friend - they are nationalist (my point)

As to your othere ramblings i realy can't decipher your meaning or intent.

However, even with your deplorable grammar you have masterd the spelling of ferang ( i prefer ferang)

OK, I will sit still and learn from you.

Sir, please, don't give up on me.

AFAIK, "Thai" also means "freedom". Maybe Thai Rak Thai isn't as draconian as it first seems.

"Old pile of bricks" to you doesn't mean "old pile of bricks" to others. Might be time to get out of the superior-western-culture box.

Deputy Foreign Minister clarifies foreign land ownership change rumours

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister admits he was disheartened by allegations he is seeking to take action detrimental to the nationDeputy Minister of Interior Prasong Kositanont (ประสงค์ โฆษิตานนท์) clarified rumors that he was preparing to amend laws to allow the purchase of land by foreigners, replacing current regulations allowing only extended leases, saying that although such an idea could be beneficial it must first be thoroughly studied.

Mr. Prasong responded to claims he was working converse to the best interests of the nation, affirming that he would take no action unless a solid conclusion on the matter was made and assured that he would not allow for any detriment to the nation. The deputy minister admitted he was disheartened by the rumors but assured that it would not affect his work.

He stated that the matter was not a pressing issue and thus he would not pursue it for the time being, instead he said that the more pressing matter was that of alotting land for the homeless.

The deputy minister stated that the current issue is not tied to events during the administration of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in which investors from Brunei were allegedly being allowed to purchase national land for agriculture.

Mr. Prasong said that he will establish advisors, admitting that he may not yet be knowledgeable enough in the matters of the Interior Ministry. He also said that the former Interior Minister's work will be carried on through appropriate legal procedures and will not be interfered with.

-- PRD 2008-08-11

This is backpedaling, politicians do it all the time everywhere when comments draw fire.

Crux of the issue: any talk of letting Joe Falang own land is interpreted by many many people as being against the best interests of the nation.

Crux #2: Not a pressing issue.

Crux #3: Falangs are not remotely as important in the Thai schema as they think they are, so get over it falangs.

Well whatever our wishes I think living here and ownership will likely get tougher .

My logic for this assertion based on opinion not factis there is an almost insatiable demand for the quality of life here.

Westerners even i recession could buy everything if allowed.

Hiking the visa tariff and stay time will be the real rort.

Once the millions of young travellers inherot mums house in LA or London the demand for a slice of Siam will rocket.

Lets see in the meantime why should Thais be allowed to but anywhere else like wanted crimenal erstwhile premier,seems odd a crook on the run from the police can own Manchester city while law abiding tax paying falngs cannot vote own a 50 year lease long enough for most of us or do the must trivial transaction without a sheaf of fotocopies.

Of course its immigration thats responsible for de-forestation they must have hundredsof copies of my passport,where one scan might suffice or perhaps they could hold it and my 800k and let me take the medication in peace?

Well i'm glad I got that of my chest isnt TV woonderful!

LOL the PPP and the democrats told the BCCT before the election that they'd look at granting longer lease terms. Its possible to think that since then a combination of Chinese whispers and time may have led some to think that announcements along this vein were imminent.

To say that such an idea "could be beneficial but has to be studied further". Is politic speak to business for "look I know we said we'd like to do this (we think its a good idea too) but we just have far too many problems to do deal with before introducing something as controversial as this, sorry."

Regarding the Thai government possibly easing up on the restrictions any time soon (or over the next decade) regarding land ownership by farangs, I won't be holding my breath. And if unrestricted land ownership was permitted by foreigners, I expect Thailand would get bought overnight.

AFAIK, "Thai" also means "freedom". Maybe Thai Rak Thai isn't as draconian as it first seems.

"Old pile of bricks" to you doesn't mean "old pile of bricks" to others. Might be time to get out of the superior-western-culture box.

One Mr Thaksin - founder of the Thai Rak Thai (where Thai means Thai) - in his statement to the Thai people, via the Bangkok Post, stated: 'I am writing from England , a country which upholds demacratic principles above all else.' So he obviously appreciates the superior western culture box :o Your logic/reasoning is that of - well a person of your avatar!

Edited by whatsoever

You know, I keep reading this, 'Thai means freedom', but I thought the name Thai came from the Dtai tribe, whom the Chinese referred to as 'those barbarians from over the Yangtse'. So is it a Thai word? Or Chinese?

You know, I keep reading this, 'Thai means freedom', but I thought the name Thai came from the Dtai tribe, whom the Chinese referred to as 'those barbarians from over the Yangtse'. So is it a Thai word? Or Chinese?

I asked my Thai spouse how to best to interpret the meaning of "Thai Rak Thai". Her response was that it is best translated to mean "Thais love Thailand". The first "Thai" refers to the Thai people or "Thais" in English. Rak obviously means "love" or "loves". And the second "Thai" refers to "Thailand". She said Thais don't refer to Thailand as "Thailand" when using the Thai language. They say "Muang Thai" or simply "Thai" as in the case of "Thai Rak Thai".

I'd be interested in hearing what other Thais that are fluent in both Thai and English have to say about my wife's interpretation.

he wont be in power long enough to do anything

That's what everybody hope. That's why they get rid of Thaksin who were able to get a stable government long enough to get a number of things done.

But IMO, it's just a matter of time. Most of Thai industries are foreign owned. It was ok because other option in the area, Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, even China, were seen as worst option. Not anymore.

What a pity they aren't serious about encouraging foreign investment as it would bring big benefits to the LOS. This talk of Thais being bought out of their own country is nonsense because obviously if a Thai sells a property to a foreigner the Thai gets a big chunk of money to use to buy another property, so they're not homeless, they're wealthy. Foreigners would only buy in certain market segments anyway, I can't see too many foreigners buying a straw roofed shack in the hills.

A bit of property inflation would make the Thai owners of most properties wealthier and they could use the money to improve their lives, so everyone would benefit. That would be a big improvement on the present situation where average housing is a very poor investment and going nowhere financially. In developed countries real estate appreciation underpins the economy. Look what a mess America is in because they screwed up their property market and undermined their economy. They provide a good example of what not to do.

Another point worth mentioning is that corruption involving foreigners can only occur if Thais act corruptly, so before blaming foreigners for their problems they should look in the mirror and ask if they really act in the ways their Buddhism teaches that they should act. Pretty obvious really...

The above are transliterations (not spellings) all are correct or not correct depending upon the writer. I especially like: FALANG as it uses it uses US (and other) sounds for the FA & LANG and semi-literate Thai for the Thai R sound.