Atm - Puts Up Balance Of Account On Screen

12DrinkMore

It's a good feature. Citibank in Japan has it too.

Many people have their monthly bills automatically deducted from their bank accounts and many foreigners move money from 0 interest Japanese account into high interest Oz or NZ accounts. When moving money it is useful to see:

Funds transfer of : 800

From account balance: 1000

New account balance: 200

About 3 in 10 times I would reconsider my original intention and change the amount when I see that the remainder is lower or higher than expected.

Usually, some bill got paid that reduced the amount I thought was available.

From my ATM software developer days with NCR, I can guess how and why this thing came into effect. Most likely, Bank's Quality Control department, after analyzing complaints and disputes found that many of them originate from situations like

"the overdraft happened because there was no printed statement to show me how much money I had"

"credit card bill could not be settled as there were insufficient funds - the customer miscalculated the balance upon last withdrawal and paper slip printer was out of paper"

"I did not know I was entering into cash advance mode, I was unaware there were no enough funds, why I have to pay this awfully high interest" - when ATM & Visa Card are all in 1

There you go: the bank has cleared the reasons for complaints like this while leaving you to guard the screen with your body and hands while using ATMs.

At SCB when the machine displays "take cash" get ready to hit the 'yes' or 'no' button when asked about wanting a paper receipt. You will be able to clear the screen in less than one second. Most ATM's are designed and installed to allow you to block the view of others during transactions some are not. Find ones that are. Admittedly, sometimes the amount is displayed in huge digits. I find it amusing and I like the service as I will know instantly if something is amiss in my account. TIT

The OP like me has too much time on his hands. The obvious fix is not to use ATM's at all.

I quite like the feature. In fact I often invite the attended Kiasu Mongoloids to come and have a look:

Eeeya, have a look at that then. LOADS OF MONEY!

I had a great Kiasu of the week moment last saturday at Fairprice finest - a classic

Then I lost it with one of the Kiasu C&^%s yesterday at Subway and actually called him a Kiasu "C$%^& over getting the bloody drinks and not letting anyone in - you know how they hate attention being brought to them - he visibly shrunk

I don’t remember seeing the balance being display when I use my atm card from the Fidelity's brokerage account.

May be it only happen with the regular bank atm cards? :o

I didn't mention which of the cards showed a balance. It was Schwabe. I know it printed on the receipt but don't recall if SCB showed a balance line on their display.

After a transaction, the ATMs in Thailand automatically put up the balance of your account on the screen for all in the neighbourhood to see. I have complained to my bank manager, who agreed with me; he had to as I we were outside talking and I said, "hey, look that guy's has xxx in his account" I have also written a letter and sent an email to the the bank, Siam Commercial. No answer.

This new feature first appeared about three years ago. In some ATMs the figures were at least 2 cms high, so very easy to read from a distance. For some months now the figures have been a little more discrete.

I consider the balance in my account to be a private matter. And certainly not something to be put up on a screen readable by GFs Wives or any Lek, Pen and Noi standing around.

I actually like the feature as I know my balance and keep track of it. I have no problem with it and think it should continue. If it concerns you so much then why dont you stand in front of the the atm so all the world cant see your balance. Simple really... Or better still just go in a branch.

Right now, I only use USA ATM cards and my 2 primary cards do not show a balance while my 3rd backup card does.

It's about 50/50 for mine. Some of my USA banks show the balances and some do not. Both of my Singapore accounts show the balances. 'Luckily' though, it shows the balances in dollars, which for me is well under 100,000 for each account (which nosey folks would assume to be BAHT), so it wouldn't be that much of a temptation to kidnap me and torture the PIN(s) out of me.

But as Prakanong alluded, most of us don't keep our higher "serious" balances in current accounts (although, naturally, sometimes one may have a need to do so temporarily), and even then, you can simply cover it with your hand.

:o

Edited by Heng

Right now, I only use USA ATM cards and my 2 primary cards do not show a balance while my 3rd backup card does.

It's about 50/50 for mine. Some of my USA banks show the balances and some do not. Both of my Singapore accounts show the balances. 'Luckily' though, it shows the balances in dollars, which for me is well under 100,000 for each account (which nosey folks would assume to be BAHT), so it wouldn't be that much of a temptation to kidnap me and torture the PIN(s) out of me.

But as Prakanong alluded, most of us don't keep our higher "serious" balances in current accounts (although, naturally, sometimes one may have a need to do so temporarily), and even then, you can simply cover it with your hand.

Ok, we have all seen enough of your posts Heng to realize that any opportunity to mention your vast riches brings you some bizarre form of pleasure. You include the theme in at least half your posts. The other half are usually clever and often funny by the way.

But do you really think that somchai the tuk tuk driver or the gang of huffers on the corner would need any more than 100k baht for motivation to relieve you of that amount, should the opportunity present itself. How much can you get out of an ATM at any given time anyways? lots of luck on pulling out 100k USD.

The point is, that financial details should be handled with discretion. You wouldn't know much about that however.

Ok, we have all seen enough of your posts Heng to realize that any opportunity to mention your vast riches brings you some bizarre form of pleasure. You include the theme in at least half your posts. The other half are usually clever and often funny by the way.

But do you really think that somchai the tuk tuk driver or the gang of huffers on the corner would need any more than 100k baht for motivation to relieve you of that amount, should the opportunity present itself. How much can you get out of an ATM at any given time anyways? lots of luck on pulling out 100k USD.

The point is, that financial details should be handled with discretion. You wouldn't know much about that however.

Haven't mentioned anything in detail above. You're reading too much into it. If anything, it's just more of my non-specific modesty. :D But thanks for the compliment.

My point was that these balances are IMO pretty much harmless and easily dealt with.

:D

Perhaps I can buy you a cup? I have $8.20 in my Paypal account.

There you go again, you need help dude.

Kinda warm out this afternoon, isn't it? *fans self with Dresdner Kleinwort passbook*

That's it, get it all out of your system. What other gem have you been saving for the right moment? :D

Kinda warm out this afternoon, isn't it? *fans self with Dresdner Kleinwort passbook*

That's it, get it all out of your system. What other gem have you been saving for the right moment? :D

That's gems, plural, ...in multiple velvet pouches. Thank you very much.

That's gems, plural, ...in multiple velvet pouches. Thank you very much.

There ya go, and look at that your session is done for today, I think we made progress.

Anyone remember the topic?

After a transaction, the ATMs in Thailand automatically put up the balance of your account on the screen for all in the neighbourhood to see. I have complained to my bank manager, who agreed with me; he had to as I we were outside talking and I said, "hey, look that guy's has xxx in his account" I have also written a letter and sent an email to the the bank, Siam Commercial. No answer.

This new feature first appeared about three years ago. In some ATMs the figures were at least 2 cms high, so very easy to read from a distance. For some months now the figures have been a little more discrete.

I consider the balance in my account to be a private matter. And certainly not something to be put up on a screen readable by GFs Wives or any Lek, Pen and Noi standing around.

Strange I use SCB ATM's all the time and it doesnt happen to me, I have to press a key if I want to see the balance

I understand the privacy issue...but really, why worry? It is not like that person in the queue knows you (probably does not). Why do you care if someone sees that your balance is 6 or 7 or 8 figures (bahts)?

Why worry? I guess when you're getting mugged on your way home because some unsavory characters saw a get rich quick opportunity, this would be a cause for worry.

I very seriously doubt that "muggers" are waiting around for the farang with the highest balance...get real.