โดยเอาผลลัพธ์เป็นตัวตั้ง

DavidHouston

From the newspaper:

ขณะนี้มีกลุ่มบุคคลที่ถือ พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ เป็นศัตรูทางการเมือง ดำเนินการแทรกแซงกระบวนการยุติธรรม โดยเอาผลลัพธ์เป็นตัวตั้ง เพื่อจัดการกับ พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ และครอบครัว โดยไม่คำนึงถึงระบบกฎหมาย และระบบข้อเท็จจริง

There is currently a group of individuals who believe that Thaksin is their political enemy (and who) continue to interfere with the judicial process by _____________ . (They do this) in order to deal with Thaksin and his family without paying heed to either legal processes or the facts.

What is the meaning of the phrase "โดยเอาผลลัพธ์เป็นตัวตั้ง"?

Edited by DavidHouston

I would venture something like, "with the end result being top priority"? Kinda like, not worry about the "means to the end" or something like that, can't quite figure out the exact equivalent phrase in English :o

What would you think about:

"There is currently a group of individuals who believe that Thaksin is their political enemy (and who) continue to interfere with the judicial process (who believe that) the ends justify the means. "

I would venture something like, "with the end result being top priority"? Kinda like, not worry about the "means to the end" or something like that, can't quite figure out the exact equivalent phrase in English :o

"There is currently a group of individuals who believe that Thaksin is their political enemy (and who) continue to interfere with the judicial process (who believe that) the ends justify the means. "

I don't quite get that impression. I don't feel that they are/believe, that the ends justify the means but rather are using the desired result to shape their procedures. Something like the logical fallacy of begging the question where one is argues for the result by using the result as its basic premise. My impression from the phrase in question is that they are using the desired result to shape their proceedings, in this case judicial judgments, judge in favor of that same desired result.

I don't quite get that impression. I don't feel that they are/believe, that the ends justify the means but rather are using the desired result to shape their procedures. Something like the logical fallacy of begging the question where one is argues for the result by using the result as its basic premise. My impression from the phrase in question is that they are using the desired result to shape their proceedings, in this case judicial judgments, judge in favor of that same desired result.

Thank you, CSS. Sorry, my English isn't quite good enough to understand your response. I would appreciate your putting your thoughts into a translation of the sentence in question. I need to explain the context: the subject sentence is said by the supporters of Thaksin who are alleging that their opponents are subverting the law to achieve political ends.

Thanks again for your assistance.

I agree with CSS.

"โดยเอาผลลัพธ์เป็นตัวตั้ง" should be translated to 'by taking the desired result to shape the proceedings', so, they would do whatever it takes to get this desired result.