Lpg Safety Sticker

WaldoPepper

And if they refuse to issue a sticker- wonder about the safety of the cylinders installed.

Did you see the images of the 7 blown-up buses, with chunks of the gas cylinder laying about on Thai tv and all the newspapers a couple of days ago?

Just because this has only happened twice, does not alleviate many people's concerns. It is estimated 1 million vehicles in Thailand will be converted to LPG, NGV or CNG in just a couple of years. Not to be cynical...but one can assume that some shops have installed or will install sub-standard equipment.

This is highly flammable gas, compressed to high pressure. I would hope that all the equipment installed is to international standards.

To be fair, liquid gasoline/benzine/petrol is also explosive and dangerous. But not to the degree of compressed fuel gases. :o

Does anyone know how you get one of these? Apparently the govt has ruled that any car without one cannot fill up at a LPG station after Saturday.

started a similar thread where it was suggested to just join the queque at the land transportation office. will try that today but not before seeing an installation shop first, as suggested here, to see what they say

ok, since i bought my car with the tank already installed and no papers nor registration in the blue book, i took it to an authorized installer for checkup this morning. he said after checking he will certify the system and i will have to take that paper to the authorities to get my gastank registered.

there were quite a few people to have checkups and receive the fancy, letter sized, golden-colored certificates, priced 450 baht. but i guess we will see longer queques in the coming days, if they actually stop selling gas to cars without stickers...

hope this helps!

Alex: just had conversations with the dealer who sold me my machine (LPG already installed). Dealer (who is also LPG-powered) says that the ruling applies to NGV-powered cars and not to LPG ones. Conversations were carried out thru a Thai speaker so there was no misunderstandings.

Alex: just had conversations with the dealer who sold me my machine (LPG already installed). Dealer (who is also LPG-powered) says that the ruling applies to NGV-powered cars and not to LPG ones. Conversations were carried out thru a Thai speaker so there was no misunderstandings.

WaldoPepper, i am afraid your dealer does not have his facts right. All kits be it LPG or NGV need to be certified and registered with the land transport dept. no exceptions. PTT has already stop selling NGV to vehicles without the proper certifications and paperwork a few months back. No "Gold Card" issued by PTT, no NGV.

LPG is probably heading towards the same direction and it is more of a concern with the number of vehicles converting to LPG instead of NGV as its a cheaper conversion and some of them done are being done illegally with low grade tanks.

cheers - although i have my doubts :D

unfortunately, my gas tank was installed outside thailand (the car is an import from japan i believe) and therefor does not meet thai regulations says the mechanic ... one should assume japan having higher security standards than thailand hahaha so i am not really worried about substandard work ... oh well maybe it had to do with him offering me a thai standard tank with a smile for 10.000 instead :D

either ways, no sticker for me - lets see when they will actually stop selling LPG to cars without sticker (i still find it fairly easy locating a place selling a bottle of beer in the afternoon despite the ban ... ) but what worries me is that i may not be able to find a place able and willing to do proper annual checkups :o

cheers - although i have my doubts :D

unfortunately, my gas tank was installed outside thailand (the car is an import from japan i believe) and therefor does not meet thai regulations says the mechanic ... one should assume japan having higher security standards than thailand hahaha so i am not really worried about substandard work ... oh well maybe it had to do with him offering me a thai standard tank with a smile for 10.000 instead :D

either ways, no sticker for me - lets see when they will actually stop selling LPG to cars without sticker (i still find it fairly easy locating a place selling a bottle of beer in the afternoon despite the ban ... ) but what worries me is that i may not be able to find a place able and willing to do proper annual checkups :o

i would like to recommend that you get the tank inspected nevertheless for your own safety sake. Japan I would assume have more higher safety standards than what is installed in Thailand as you have mentioned BUT why risk.

i think you should talk to more LPG installers and see if they can issue you a letter from them so that you can register your vehicle with the government. I am sure they would rather make 1,000 or 2,000 baht rather than not getting anything from you at all. offer them that money for a check up and a written assessment of the installation.

a lot of these kits are imported anyways! so i can't comprehend a reason for them not to register your car.

I went today at about noon to see if I could get LPG w/o the sticker. Ended up at the LPG station at the "T" intersection of the Super Highway and the Mae Jo Hwy#1001. No problem. After filling I asked about the stickers and they had never heard of the sticker or any new law. Cool...now "gassed" up I set off to the outfit that did the original conversion about 200 meters before Lanna Hospital, same side of the road on the frontage road. Same story there. They didn't have a clue as to a new law or stickers. Go figure

cheers - although i have my doubts :o

To the inspectors here, it does not matter that the products you use have higher quality and safety standards, as long as it is not approved by Thai standards it is bad.

The whole thing with this scheme is market protection