Accessing Ais Sim Outside Thailand?

MaiThaiMai

Is there anyway to access my last SIM number bought in Thailand I'm while back in the USA? I found it really strange I got back home and turned the phone on and had one message from a friend and there was some other message about calling another number and being able to use a service for one hour on this phone. I checked the phone over Japan and nothing was there. Now I can't find that service message on my phone - lol Is their a web service that can access my working Thai AIS SIM number? I'm willing to pay a nominal fee too unless someone has a free workaround idea? I went to AIS website(s), found an English page (finally) but it had a bad AIS customer service number, all other AIS english pages are not useful as far as I can find. I tried (free) webpage translation for the Thai AIS webpages but only found ones that translated into gibberish...ThaiVisa is my last resort, maybe it should have been my first try :D TIA for any help, even if its bad news and I'm outta luck until I return to the LOS which looks like later rather than sooner :o

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

What is the exact make and model number of your phone? It must be GSM1900 compatible in order to get a signal from either TMobile or AT&T. Also you need to have international roaming enabled with AIS. Drop them an email at [email protected] to request int'l roaming.

AT&T is on 850 (previously Cingular) and 1900 (previously AT&T Wireless) bands. If you have a tri-band phone (AisaPac-spec is 900/1800/1900, USA-spec is 850/1800/1900) you can get service in USA in most areas...quad-band is better. The Asia-spec tri-band will give you so-so coverage...I have not used a USA-spec tri-band, so I cannot speak to that...I would have to assume that it would be better.

GSM coverage is not ubiquitous in USA...many rural areas do not have GSM coverage. hel_l, in some rural areas the best coverage is on AMPS, the original analog cellular system (which the FCC gave the carriers permission to decommission this past February).

As the other poster mentioned, you need to enable International Roaming with AIS. I am not sure about the email...you can call customer care also.

Post the make/model of your phone and we can help you with the tri-band/quad-band aspect.

Edited by mgjackson69

What is the exact make and model number of your phone? It must be GSM1900 compatible in order to get a signal from either TMobile or AT&T. Also you need to have international roaming enabled with AIS. Drop them an email at [email protected] to request int'l roaming.

I have a used Nokia 7250i I bought in Thailand and use AT&T in USA, well, AT&T works out in the open high hills and main roads. I won't sign with them again...thanks for the e-mail contact and what to ask for. TMobile also sounds more viable after talking with friends and neighbors. Thank again...

MaiThaiMai

:D:o:D

AT&T is on 850 (previously Cingular) and 1900 (previously AT&T Wireless) bands. If you have a tri-band phone (AisaPac-spec is 900/1800/1900, USA-spec is 850/1800/1900) you can get service in USA in most areas...quad-band is better. The Asia-spec tri-band will give you so-so coverage...I have not used a USA-spec tri-band, so I cannot speak to that...I would have to assume that it would be better.

GSM coverage is not ubiquitous in USA...many rural areas do not have GSM coverage. hel_l, in some rural areas the best coverage is on AMPS, the original analog cellular system (which the FCC gave the carriers permission to decommission this past February).

As the other poster mentioned, you need to enable International Roaming with AIS. I am not sure about the email...you can call customer care also.

Post the make/model of your phone and we can help you with the tri-band/quad-band aspect.

My Nokia 7250i is an older model but tri-band I believe, SMS, MMS, infrared and GSM capable. I'll try the customer service e-mail provided in the other post since I cannot find a working customer care AIS number online, with the time zones e-mail is better anyway, thanks for the quick replies folks...

MaiThaiMai

:D:o:D

The Nokia 7250i is GSM900/1800/1900 compatible so provided you have GSM1900 coverage from AT&T (Cingular) or Tmobile, and roaming has been enabled, you will have service via your One-2-Call SIM. You should get two SMSes from One-2-Call re: IR (International Roaming) greeting and menu. Understand that you will be paying 75 baht/min for making an outbound call to Thailand and receiving any call and 85 baht/min for making an outgoing local call. Much better to get a Tmobile pre-paid SIM.

You can check the AT&T and TMo websites for coverage. Major metropolitan/suburban areas will have coverage.

The Nokia 7250i is GSM900/1800/1900 compatible so provided you have GSM1900 coverage from AT&T (Cingular) or Tmobile, and roaming has been enabled, you will have service via your One-2-Call SIM. You should get two SMSes from One-2-Call re: IR (International Roaming) greeting and menu. Understand that you will be paying 75 baht/min for making an outbound call to Thailand and receiving any call and 85 baht/min for making an outgoing local call. Much better to get a Tmobile pre-paid SIM.

You can check the AT&T and TMo websites for coverage. Major metropolitan/suburban areas will have coverage.

Thanks for the info and steps to take, the reason I want to access the Thai number is, well, I want to see if I accidentally left any broken hearts behind :o that is, besides the 3 of mine that are laying somewhere betweeen Soi 2 and Walking Street in Pattaya :D

Thanks again...

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

Is there anyway to access my last SIM number bought in Thailand I'm while back in the USA? <snipped long original>

I see 81 views so I am posting the AIS response as follows:

Subject: Freedom Planet Usage in USA / 19

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:23:50 +0700

Sawasdee Ka Khun One-2-Call member,

In order to use the phone while you are overseas, you need to apply roaming service first. We are willing to subscribe for you, to do so, please provide us with your mobile number.

To make outgoing call while roaming in other country you need to dial * 131 * (country code without + or 0)(area code or mobile code without first zero)(phone number) # Send. For example, if you would like to call mobile number 081-9876543, you need to dial *131*66819876543#.

To send sms dial +(country code)(mobile number without first zero). ex. +66819876543

UNITED STATES:

T-Mobile USA, Inc.- East Coast States

T-Mobile

Cingular Wireless - GSM 1900 - KNOXVILLE

Cingular Wireless - Genesis

Cincinnati Bell Wireless , USA

USA.CBW

We would like to recommend you can try to select the network manually as Cingular Wireless since it provide both outgoing call and receiving call service while the others not.

Remark :

* There is no receiving sms charge

* The rate is in baht/min and baht/sms

* The balance must be sufficient to make or receive call at least 1 minute

FRIEND TOPPED UP!!!!

You can ask your friend who is in Thailand to topped up for you by dial *126*(country code)+(Mobile number without first zero)# e.g *126*668110888# > send.

- The system will send sms to the destination number : Hi, Now I'm roaming abroad & my One2Call! Balance is low, Please help me top up 500 Baht to my mobile number XXXXXXXXX, Thank You.

- If the it has already been recharged : Your balance has been topped up already. New balance is xxx B. Expire date DD/MM/YY. Thank you.

Remark:

- This service can be used while roaming overseas

- There is no charge for both sides

- The Thai number can belong to any mobile operators; AIS, DTAC, Hutch and True Move.

- Friend in Thailand can topped up by ATM or contact the AIS Service Center

- The topped up amount is at least 500 baht or more

Any further information is welcome, please give us a call at AIS Call Centre *122 or +6622719000 or email us at [email protected] 24 hours' a day. In addition, you can use our chat service at http://www.gsmadvance.com

> AIS call center talk to us on phone every day from 9 am - 9.00 pm (Thailand's time).

HTH - MaiThaiMai

:o:D:D

Cingular is no more, AT&T now operates those networks. Once romaing is enabled just let the phone negotiate with a network. If you are in a metropolitan or suburban area you should get signal from both T-Mobile and AT&T. You can check your balance and expiration date, *121# SEND.

You can check coverage maps at their websites, or here. Only look for GSM 1900 coverage.