Overflowing Mekong River Ravages Northern, Northeastern Thailand

george

Overflowing Mekong River ravages northern, northeastern Thailand

MUKDAHAN: -- Several of Thailand's northern and northeastern provinces along the Mekong River are now badly hit by water flooding as heavy rains continue in the two regions, causing damage to homes and farmsteads.

Three districts in the northeastern province of Mukdahan are now submerged as the water level in the river rose to 12.6 metres, overflowing the banks and affecting at least 50 homes with at least partial submersion.

Fishponds and croplands were also badly affected. More than 100 relief workers flat-bottomed boats moved to help affected flood victims and sandbagged the banks of a canal to prevent floodwaters from reaching the town's commercial centre.

In Nong Khai province bordering Laos, many roads and structures were partially under water after heavy rains lashed the area Thursday night, damaging at least 400 homes in Pak Khat district.

An initial survey found that about 128,180 people were affected by flood in Nakhon Phanom, traffic on several hundred roads was disrupted, seven dikes were damaged, some 184,430 rai of farmland went under water over 1,200 commercial fishponds were affected. Damage has been estimated at Bt193.8 million.

Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said in Bangkok that he had ordered health officials in Thailand's northernmost province of Chiang Rai, as well as the northeastern provinces of Nong Khai and Nakhon Phanom to assist flood victims on a daily basis.

Thirty thousand sets of medicine were sent Friday to assist victims in the three provinces. They are expected to reach there early Saturday.

Mobile medical units, according to Mr. Chavarat, found that more than 3,600 flood victims were suffering from severe cold and skin diseases.

The public was also advised to consume clean drinking water as diarrhea is usually found during the flood season.

-- TNA 2008-08-15

The wife and I took a drive west of Nong Khai city to hit up one of our favorite riverside eateries on Tuesday. She wanted to drive and took an alternative route which actually put us much further west than planned. We were out highway 211 through Pa Kho, Ban Wiang Kluk, Ban Tha Mafuang and turned back after Ban Phon Sa. Pretty much everything near the river on the north side of the road was well under or pretty much threatened. The authorities were out in rubber and flat bottom boats checking isolated houses and gatoms. Almost like my parents house on the Mississippi River.

Eric

Edit: Wow do I feel the silly git now. I didn't know it has gotten that much worse since I returned to abu dhabi. Great Pictures.

post-8921-1218793588_thumb.jpg

post-8921-1218793603_thumb.jpg

post-8921-1218793618_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pseacraft

Any news on Mut-Mee Guest House in Nong Khai?

Hi

Underwater, see this except from a post I read on the 13th....."Mut Mee Guest house is now flooded completely.they were elevated furnishes this morning!"

TBWG :o

we live just outside Nongkhai (nong bua /jomannee)

Complete floods on the mekong side.

on our side....just across the road no signs of flooding yet, if it does come its gone be a mess.

it takes just 1 meter to complete the total flooding of NongKhai town and surrounding areas

Mut mee is completly flooded.(i wish Julian a speedy recovery)

Town is unaccesable only Meechai Road is not affected yet

Train station NOT affected as is the road to the border....NO problems yet to beeb seen down there.

as for us....we keep are fingers crossed

HGMA

Hi

Underwater, see this except from a post I read on the 13th....."Mut Mee Guest house is now flooded completely.they were elevated furnishes this morning!"

just had a peek at the river7.35 am 16/8

it had gone down the first time in a week 10 cm.(we have levelpoints st up)

hopefully it keeps coming down.

hgma

we live just outside Nongkhai (nong bua /jomannee)

Complete floods on the mekong side.

on our side....just across the road no signs of flooding yet, if it does come its gone be a mess.

it takes just 1 meter to complete the total flooding of NongKhai town and surrounding areas

Mut mee is completly flooded.(i wish Julian a speedy recovery)

Town is unaccesable only Meechai Road is not affected yet

Train station NOT affected as is the road to the border....NO problems yet to beeb seen down there.

as for us....we keep are fingers crossed

HGMA

Hi

Heard from Mut-Mee GH as follows:

'The garden went around 50 cm under, but only three houses got

inundated, which means that clean up should be fairly simple, in fact

my eager staff got stuck into that today as the big house emerged

above the waterline.

Generally not too worried, and think we will have things straight in

around four to five days.'

Update:

Food, water, aid to thousands hit by floods

Representatives of His Majesty the King yesterday delivered 2,000 relief packages to flood-affected Chiang Rai residents.

The police sent 10 lorries with drinking water and dried food to assist victims in six North and Northeast provinces.

Chairman of the Rajaprachanukro Foundation, Dissathorn Watcharothai, and his team took the aid to 2,000 families in Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong.

Acting Chiang Rai disaster-prevention chief Narong Inso reported that Mekong River levels had fallen to 7.81 metres in Chiang Saen and 9.88 metres in Chiang Khong, below critical.

From August 10 to 15, floods hit the two districts and Wiang Kaen, affecting more than 5,000 families in 105 villages. Officials are surveying damage.

Narong said there was no confirmation of China's alleged plan to release water.

In the meantime, national police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan oversaw the dispatch of 10 lorries of relief items for flood victims in Nan, Phetchabun, Sakhon Nakhon, Chiang Rai, Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai and opened a relief centre at police headquarters.

In Nong Khai, Mekong River levels receded slightly. The Princess Pa Foundation delivered 1,000 relief packages to flood victims in Tha Bo and Si Chiang Mai districts yesterday.

Municipality workers started pumping out floodwaters which are nearly one metre in some areas.

Provincial hydrological office chief Sukhawit Buapheun said it would take four days before levels were down to 13.20 metres.

Deputy Public Health Minister Wicharn Meenchainant, who visited flood victims in Nong Khai, said the ministry bought 200 life vests and rubber boats for mobile medical teams.

Each day, about 30 teams are dispatched to assist flood-hit villagers. To date 3,000 people have become ill.

In Chaiyaphum, provincial governor Thavorn Phromeechai warned residents in Muang, Nong Bua Daeng, Khon San, Phu Khieo, Kaset Sombun and Phakdi Chumphol districts to beware of floods and landslides.

-- The Nation 2008-08-17