I Am Amazed At How Bad The Spelling And Grammar Can Be On Job Applications

garro

Our school has advertised a vacancy for the last two months and we have received many applications. As I am the only native speaker they ask me to review them. I am amazed to find the amount of bad grammar and spelling on these forms. These applications often come from native speakers claiming to have a BA in English. It is like these people don't care about how sloppy and shoddy their applications appear.

I get an excited colleague handing me an application form, and then telling me this one is definitely the guy because he has a Masters in English and is a native speaker. I always feel bad pointing out that he has failed to captialize and misspelt English. Is this normal that applications should be so shoddy? Would you still invite them for interview?

Edited by garro

Garro, mate, sorry and all that, but take a review of your spelling in this post :o:D (sloopy) ?

No offence intended but if you live by the sword etc :D

I do agree though, first ones to hit the bin with us.

Edited by Cobalt60

Garro, mate, sorry and all that, but take a review of your spelling in this post :o:D

No offence intended but if you live by the sword etc :D

I had changed 'sloppy' before you posted.

What else?

Edited by garro

Yes I saw that, too old to be quick enough, now before anyone starts I am not claiming anything about my spelling or use of the language. :D

If you send an application form I will make sure to go over it with a red pen and send it back to you :o

Calming not 'claiming' is all I can see- looks more like a typo. But Garro aren't you British? What's this z in capitalise malarkey?

I do find the same thing but I'm very lucky to even get a native speaker never mind one that can spell. The Filipinos are always fun and easy to spot with their 'Greetings of goodwill' etc

Calming not 'claiming' is all I can see- looks more like a typo. But Garro aren't you British? What's this z in capitalise malarkey?

I do find the same thing but I'm very lucky to even get a native speaker never mind one that can spell. The flips are always fun and easy to spot with their 'Greetings of goodwill' etc

I am in my <deleted> British.

Yes I saw that, too old to be quick enough, now before anyone starts I am not claiming anything about my spelling or use of the language. :D

If you send an application form I will make sure to go over it with a red pen and send it back to you :o

Be sure to fill it with ink before you start :D

Sorry I seem to have made everyone start on you.

Back to your original point, a poorly presented application is going to hit the bin without being considered in my experience.

Seriously though guys. It is not just the fact that the spelling and grammar is so bad, but the fact that these guys can't be even bothered to check it before sending it away. First impressions and all that.

But really quite seriously- as much as my immediate reaction might be to throw the c.v. in the bin, I would have to temper that thought because simply to get a c.v. from a genuine native speaker these days is pretty rare. (Admittedly my school gives me zero advertising budget).

They can certainly count on the fact that I, for one, would feel obliged to interview them anyway. It seems strange that any genuine professional (post)graduate would send a crappy application. Maybe it's the perceived 'informality' of email?

A friend got a TEFL job by word of mouth.Then she saw all the applications they had got.Half were not native speakers, many Native speakers were not within 500 km of the school.Some had better quals but did not even get interviewed.My friend's interview was purphunkturee, you might say.

I get an excited colleague handing me an application form, and then telling me this one is definitely the guy because he has a Masters in English and is a native speaker. I always feel bad pointing out that he has failed to captialize and misspelt English. Is this normal that applications should be so shoddy? Would you still invite them for interview?

You're just seeing the products of the wonderful western education systems that it seems so many would love to transplant here.

I don't think it's that unusual. I wouldn't invite them for an interview for a job teaching English.

Thats nothing. A long time ago when I was Curriculum Director at ECC, there was a three tier pay system for Farangs, beginner, standard, experienced. Everyone wanted to be on the top wack so when people came looking for a job they always put down ' experienced ' on their application. It often happened that once they started teaching it was obvious they had been telling porkies. Soooooo.... I devised a very short and simple grammer test to sort the wheat from the chaff. It had to be short and simple because my own grammer was my achillies heal ( Dangling what ???). I was gob smacked at the number of ' experienced ' teachers who didn't know a tense from tennis or a verb from an adverb. Needless to say...most applicants broke into a cold sweat at the mere mention of a grammer test and the idea was soon dropped as most objected to taking it.

Thats nothing. A long time ago when I was Curriculum Director at ECC, there was a three tier pay system for Farangs, beginner, standard, experienced. Everyone wanted to be on the top wack so when people came looking for a job they always put down ' experienced ' on their application. It often happened that once they started teaching it was obvious they had been telling porkies. Soooooo.... I devised a very short and simple grammer test to sort the wheat from the chaff. It had to be short and simple because my own grammer was my achillies heal ( Dangling what ???). I was gob smacked at the number of ' experienced ' teachers who didn't know a tense from tennis or a verb from an adverb. Needless to say...most applicants broke into a cold sweat at the mere mention of a grammer test and the idea was soon dropped as most objected to taking it.

I actually remember taking your grammar test in ECC Siam Square six years ago. Cheeky bast***s :o

I actually remember taking your grammar test in ECC Siam Square six years ago. Cheeky bast***s :o

Probably wasn't my test but a rehash of the old idea. I have'nt taught English for about 17 years now....yeeeee ha and if I ever see another whiteboard it will be too soon.

My mate who has impeccable spelling and grammar applied at a branch of English Last.He passed the grammar test and other tests with flying colors.They rejected him for 250-bant per hour work because he was too old.The DOS later hired him at 350 per hour after English First finished Last.

I agree that an application with bad spelling and grammar is a no no... but could it also be that someone is looking extremely hard for flaws in every application too? :o Based on what I'm reading lately, you should be grateful to be getting any applicants that have a real bachelors degree.

?????

?????

It's not rocket-surgery is it Mr Hippo?

Edited by garro