Given My Time Frame, Which Visa Should I Apply For?

Hi,

First, I'm over 50 and can deposit 800,000 THB in a Thai bank. My concern is what Visa do I apply for given my time in Thailand?

My plan now is leave the USA in late December and spend 5 months in Thailand and fly back home for 3 months. Come back to BKK and spend 9 months there and 3 months, June July August, in the USA the following year.

I prefer not go through all the "visa runs", if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you have 65k per month pension/income? If so you can obtain retirement extension of stay in Thailand at Immigration very easily. The 800k requires 3 months in a Thai bank account so might not fit your plans.

Another option is to obtain a retirement OA multi entry visa in the US using medical/police report and bank account of 800k there. This would allow you a one year stay on any entry during the first year of validity and an entry near the end of that year would provide almost another year stay before you have to start the extension of stay process at Immigration.

Do you have 65k per month pension/income? If so you can obtain retirement extension of stay in Thailand at Immigration very easily. The 800k requires 3 months in a Thai bank account so might not fit your plans.

Another option is to obtain a retirement OA multi entry visa in the US using medical/police report and bank account of 800k there. This would allow you a one year stay on any entry during the first year of validity and an entry near the end of that year would provide almost another year stay before you have to start the extension of stay process at Immigration.

Thanks Lopburi3 for your comments.

I don't have 65k per month income, yet. That's a couple years away.

Seems to me the OA visa is the way to go. Now, if I get this before I leave in December, I'll have no problem leaving in June and coming back to Thailand in early September next year?

Can I get the OA extension while I'm in BKK in December 2009?

With the OA visa, do I have to do any "visa runs"?

Thanks!

1. Obtain visa in November closer to your departure date (so that still valid when you return in September next year). No problem leaving in June and return in September will be permitted to stay until September the following year.

2. You will not need an extension until September 2010 (with current travel plan).

3. No visa runs are required. 90 day address reporting is required if in Thailand full time.