Another Book Thread

girlx

i did a search but can't find the old thread so post here any good books you may have read recently as i am dry! mssabai recommended jasmine nights- and though i am usually skeptical of those thailand-related books, i read a couple of chapters standing in the bookstore and it looks pretty good. any others?

if you like crime - thai related, i really really recommend John Burdett`s "bangkok" series really enjoyed reading them.

The first Bangkok 8, is introducing the character Sonchai Jipleejip a half thai farang cop in the district 8 of bangkok.

second, Bangokok Tattoo, in this sequal I found that John Burdett has wrote so well in every aspect from the story line to every detail in the scene really great!

Last Bangkok Haunts, seems that John Burdett needs to keep his game up for his trilogy.I rate this one the best of them all!

GREAT BOOKS, GREAT AUTHOR, GREAT CHARACTERS ALL 5 STAR BOOKS!

if you do have a chance have a read and you wont stop! :o:D

Edited by junki3korean

Hey Girlx,

Some titles I just finished, you might know them already...some really nice ones though!

-Eat, pray, love

by Elizabeth Gilbert

-The Kite runner

-A Thousand splendid suns

both by Khaled Hosseini

-Extremely loud and incredibly close

-Everything is illuminated

both by Jonathan Safran

-Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Also work from Haruki Murakami, the japanese writer is worth a try! [Kafka on the shore, Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world]

Shantaram was awesome...and did you buy Jasmine Nights? Loved it.

I have just bought an English translation of a very famous Thai book called Many Lives so I will let you know how I get on with that.

Other than that, as girlx knows, my recent reading has been pretty much trash that I wouldn't even admit to reading. let alone reccommend!

Twilight Children by Torey Hayden

A true recount of an educational psychologist's work - this book focuses on her work with 2 children and 1 elderly patient. Was excellent and have just bought another by her (at Asia books).

For crime writing I have just read two books by Sandra Brown (bought at B2S) - one of them called The Crush about a pyschopath killer who develops a crush on the the head juror (who is a doctor) from his trial (book starts off after the trial has concluded when the killer was set free). Great thing about this book and the other one is that it also has bonus racy scenes in it!!! (Between the doctor and the cop protecting her) - very oo-la-la!!!

If you want a heartwarming story that will probably make you shed a couple of tears then this book is it:

Wish You Well by David Baldacci

This is nothing like any of his other books, which are usually conspiracy and revenge:

Saving Faith

Absolute Power

The Winner

All a great read as well.

Shantaram, loved the writing, one of the best books I've read. Kite runner and Life of Pi also great.

if you can get it, the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, that is brilliant, told through the eyes of 4 sisters who go to to the congo with their missionary father.

I enjoyed Water for Elephants too.

Soiselee thanks for your reccs...I have been wondering about the Poisonwood Bible and have just remembered that I have read Water for Elephants and it was brilliant.

Many Lives by Kukrit Pramoj was really interesting - a very quick read and the translation isn't the best, but it gave a broad insight of life in Thailand in the early fifties and also interesting thoughts about karma. I recommend it if you are interested in reading Thai authors as Pramoj is one of the leading figures in Thai literature (though like most leading Thai authors, he comes from an exceptionally privilaged background).

I have now just picked up Louis De Berniere's "Birds without wings" and I am relishing it and remembering how much I love his writing. For all of you who just read Captain Correlli's Mandolin, I really believe that that was not his best book and you should try any of his other books. "The War of Don Emanuel's nether Regions" was great. And if you enjoy De Bernieres then make sure you read Gabriel Garcia Marquez - particularly "100 Years of Solitude" - as he is very influenced by him.

I read some great books last year - in particular "Star of the Sea" (which is especially poignant if you come from an immigrant family) and "Cloud Atlas" which just blew me away.

I can certainly recommend 'Jasmine Nights'. I thought it was really nice and gave a little insight into what Bangkok was like not so long ago.

Oh i loved that one.

One im nearly finished atm is "I am a Cat" Soseki Natusume. Translated from Japanese. Dont let the title fool you into thinking this is a cheezy cat-tale type-thing, its beautifully translated and beautifully written describing human nature as viewed from a Cats perspective. Interesting and (imo) intellectually stimulating.

Sounds cool eek. Have you tried any Haruki Marukami? I loved Norweigan Wood and Kafka on the Shore especially...

No, havent, but will take a look, tnx. :o

Another one i read a while ago and thought was amazing was 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' Khaled Hosseini. Focusing on the lives and struggles in Afghanistan, in particular women's lives and the relationships between women (two main characters in particular).

A good review can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/books/29kaku.html

Hey girls!!!

WOW!! thanks for the suggestions!! I will have to go book shopping before i go to Thailand.

David Baldacci - is great if you like action.

'A Thousand Splendid Suns' Khaled Hosseini - AWASOME book!!

How about, I think you might enjoy it, Lian Hearn - the Otori Trilogy (3 books +2 exctras). hard to put them down....

There is another great book, but i just can't remember the name. i'll have to take a look when i get home.

Hope you have luck in finding what you might enjoy reading...

this thread is a good idea. it's like our own type if "Oprah's book club"......

:D:o hhhmmmmmm i think your right!

i guess that's what happens when you don't get enough sleep....

Can't find it online, or in any book stores here, so i guess i'll have to get it when i come for a visit next month. i'll keep my eyes and ears open. you girls got me intrigued! (typos again??)

thanks massabai !

Some books I've been reading:

The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie - Not terribly intellectual but she writes the best mysteries. :o

The Hours by Michael Cunningham (?) - Picked it up for a song at Chutunchak, enjoyed it immensely.

All Those Barren leaves by Aldous Huxley

Rhapsody in Plain Yellow by Marilyn Chin

Strike Sparks: Selected Poems by Sharon Olds

Unmarked Treasure by Cyril Wong

Not my usual style of book however "Back when we were grownups" Anne Tyler just might have you up late pondering how you got where you are in life. Particularly if you are in mid life oor approachng that age.

"On the first page of Tyler's stunning new novel, Rebecca Davitch, the heroine (and heroine is exactly the right word) realizes that she has become the "wrong person." No longer the "serene and dignified young woman" she was at 20,"

Do you ever think about who you thought you would become when you were a very young woman? How every choice you have made has set you down a path that may be very different to the one you thought you would travel.

• 3 weeks later...

just read 'crime'- the new one by irvine welsh, and it was pretty good! i usually like his books but find that they can have a lot of gratuitous depravity and crassness in them... this one was more serious and the character more introspective than usual. i liked it.

Hi girlx,

Heres the original thread i think you mean, if you want to read over: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Books-Readin...nd-t127331.html

edit: might be worth merging the threads together?

I was gonna merge it as requested, but noticed the other thread is in general, while this one is in ladies

are you happy for it to move to General then? GirlX? others? or do you prefer to leave one thread here.....

(also looked at my own posts in that thread...sounds like a totally different person to the current me! I was more intellectual then :o )

• 1 month later...

hey peeps,

just bought a new book today haven`t read it though it looks good already i`ll start recommending it.....

Yakuza Moon: Memoirs of a Gangster's Daughter ...... a life of lady bought up in the hard gangster yakuza tradition in Japan.

Written herself Shoko Tendo.

should be a great read?? has anybody here read it??