Walking Street Journal

BugJackBaron

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So whadaya think ? You know, the one with

Uncle Festus...

1) great satire

2) slightly amusing

3) vile sexist rag

4) good for a laugh

5) useful to wrap fish in...

I assume you are talking about a new paper that centers on WS ? Haven't seen it yet. Where is it available ?

I think it is great, I use it to toilet train my puppy. I had the misfortune of reading through it once, I can't believe it is allowed to be printed. Anyhow keep it up, great for toilet training and free....and since no one ever reads this trash there is always a big stack of it!

>....new paper that centers on WS ? Haven't seen it yet. Where is it available ?

New ? Been out a year now I think.

Humor varies month to month - but worth the cover price (free).

Last one I had to get myself when at Foodmart in Jomtiem.

5) useful to wrap fish in... but only the fish that is so bad even my cat wont eat it :-)

Seriously - I dont like papers that talk down to people, not even if those people are bar girls or the tourists who are there to visit them.

To me its strange to call something Walkingstreet Journal, and then talk down to the people who visit and work on walkingstreet.

5) useful to wrap fish in... but only the fish that is so bad even my cat wont eat it :-)

Seriously - I dont like papers that talk down to people, not even if those people are bar girls or the tourists who are there to visit them.

To me its strange to call something Walkingstreet Journal, and then talk down to the people who visit and work on walkingstreet.

Cut into squares and hang in the Carsey (Khazi) it's very lavatorial anyway !

Uncle Festus...

1) great satire

2) slightly amusing

3) vile sexist rag

4) good for a laugh

Totally brilliant. All five except add 6) Often absolutely hilarious. Its brilliant satire at its best.

The original Uncle Festus guide to mongering was a classic. Its only a matter of time before original copies are sold on Ebay for mega money. I know for a fact that they have been passed around like a precious rare first edition all over Isan and Europe.

The wonder of it is that the writers/contributors keep up the standard in every issue. They only plagiarise/borrow/steal the very best items.

Its a bit like Pattaya itself. If you dont like it. dont read it.

Actually amazes me also the drivel in the 'Walking Str Journal' and also the demeaning attitude of it's writing style, but this is to be expected from Alan Verstein (owner of Siam Gazette Co who publish Bangkok Trader also) who is a rather elitist pr...sorry <deleted>. And himself being a half bar owner close to WS (Shooters Bar) you'd think he'd have a better outlook. Maybe some of our comments will move him.

It is terrible...how did he get a Publishing License for it (assuming he has one of course).

It is a shame that someone has to print rubbish like this. I am guessing the editor is American, looking at the "humor" in the paper. (That was not a bash at Americans....just an observation of the content of the paper!!!)

I wonder what the authorities would think of the paper if they got a hold of it.

On the plus side....it does have a fair amount of advertising in it which shows that the owner must have excellent marketing skills to sell advertising in such a trashy publication...well done!!!!

Colin

Uncle Festus...

1) great satire

2) slightly amusing

3) vile sexist rag

4) good for a laugh

Just wondered why you should ask?

Is it on-line? if so I could give my unbiased honest opinion as I am not in Pattaya for many weeks yet.

BB

BB

Uncle Festus...

1) great satire

2) slightly amusing

3) vile sexist rag

4) good for a laugh

Just wondered why you should ask?

Is it on-line? if so I could give my unbiased honest opinion as I am not in Pattaya for many weeks yet.

BB

BB

Why? Because inquiring minds want to know...?

And I was getting bored with the usual pattaya bashing threads...

Not sure if its online...

It is terrible...how did he get a Publishing License for it (assuming he has one of course).

It is a shame that someone has to print rubbish like this. I am guessing the editor is American, looking at the "humor" in the paper. (That was not a bash at Americans....just an observation of the content of the paper!!!)

I wonder what the authorities would think of the paper if they got a hold of it.

On the plus side....it does have a fair amount of advertising in it which shows that the owner must have excellent marketing skills to sell advertising in such a trashy publication...well done!!!!

Colin

Colin you make some valid points.

Point 1 - I will bet a million Baht on the fact that the WSJ does not have a publishing licence. And I would bet the same that MR V's other publication Homes and Condo's magazine also doesn't have a publishing licence. This is the same for many magazines in Pattaya.

Point 2 - The Managing Editor (Mr A.V) is an American as is his gofer Eric, so that is a correct guess.

Point 3 - You can lay money on the fact that the licencing office at the Regional Police HQ in Chonburi has no idea that this toilet paper is being published, and if it did the licensing officers would not be able to understand the content anyway. It needs someone, preferably a Thai citizen to complain about the content, then action would be taken.

Point 4 - Correct. The owner is a good salesman and networker. It amazes me that some of the companies who advertise in there do so. But don't be fooled, not every advertiser will be paying for the ads. Mr AV puts ads into the WSJ and his other magazine free for some companies as it adds respectability to them. An old publishing ploy.

Unfortunatly any adverse comments have no effect on publications as they are paid for by the advertisers and not the public. Therefore it would take the advertisers to pull out or threaten to pull out for the Managing Editor to change anything.

Colin

Point 1 - I will bet a million Baht on the fact that the WSJ does not have a publishing licence. And I would bet the same that MR V's other publication Homes and Condo's magazine also doesn't have a publishing licence. This is the same for many magazines in Pattaya.

Point 2 - The Managing Editor (Mr A.V) is an American as is his gofer Eric, so that is a correct guess.

Point 3 - You can lay money on the fact that the licencing office at the Regional Police HQ in Chonburi has no idea that this toilet paper is being published, and if it did the licensing officers would not be able to understand the content anyway. It needs someone, preferably a Thai citizen to complain about the content, then action would be taken.

Point 4 - Correct. The owner is a good salesman and networker. It amazes me that some of the companies who advertise in there do so. But don't be fooled, not every advertiser will be paying for the ads. Mr AV puts ads into the WSJ and his other magazine free for some companies as it adds respectability to them. An old publishing ploy.

Unfortunatly any adverse comments have no effect on publications as they are paid for by the advertisers and not the public. Therefore it would take the advertisers to pull out or threaten to pull out for the Managing Editor to change anything.

I know some will say that I should not get involved, but I am going to, because this sort of publication should not be allowed anywhere in the world including here in Pattaya. I will pay to get some of the articles translated and will then get a Thai friend of mine to make a complaint at the Police Station about its offensive and "sexually explicit" content. Lets see what happens.

Colin

I know some will say that I should not get involved, but I am going to, because this sort of publication should not be allowed anywhere in the world including here in Pattaya. I will pay to get some of the articles translated and will then get a Thai friend of mine to make a complaint at the Police Station about its offensive and "sexually explicit" content. Lets see what happens.

Well done. I will send you a PM with some info you may need.

• 4 weeks later...

Colin

Well done. I will send you a PM with some info you may need.

Seems the American Taliban are riding again, this time in Pattaya.

Forbid everything you don't agree with, thats the way to go back to the middle ages ....

Sunny

Colin, one of the reasons i left the US was your sort of attitude. I have not read the paper, but will if i see it and if I dont like it I wont read it again. it is none of your business and you should avoid it at all costs, that is the proper response in my opinion. I am sure there a things you do, that I, or others do not like, but as long as your not hurting anyone it is none of our business. if this paper is bad for the Thais it will eventually be found out by the Thais, and appropriate action by the THAIS, will be taken. keep out of it. I don't drink but if others do its none of my business until they start problems. We see the Thai sensor board sensoring movies that are shown to the rest of the world, do you agree with that? Who decides?

have a nice day and chill out. :o Thailand is a wonderful place and it doesn't need the morality police and if it does who will be in charge. Enjoy your life and let others enjoy theirs until your a directly assaulted, then it is your business.

Edited by Crow Boy
correction of quote function