Dogs ( Thai Ridgebacks )

suiging

Chaps

My favourite restaurant in the world is owned by a Thai cop on Nam Rim beach. He has a magnificent Thai Ridgeback which guards the place and his family with it's life. Anyone know of a breeder in Pattaya ? as time my old shack had a puppy or two.

contacts www.thairidgeback.org for Thai breeders - mainly BKK.

We picked our two up from a breeder in Bang-Na, full pedigree, registered

phone to see if there are any puppies available at the moment.

We also got our dog from a breeder in Bang Na. Great dog although be warned that during her first year when bored she would chew anything in sight!! Lost the front of a Honda Jazz one night...... As soon as she turned 1 no more chewing issues. Great family dog during the day and great guard dog during the night.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed, BBC1By Thomas Sutcliffe

Wednesday, 20 August 2008

[/color]Judging from last night's Pedigree Dogs Exposed, the very worst thing you can have stirred into your genetic mix – far more debilitating than a disease-bearing gene – is human self-regard and vanity. Nature, after all, has its ways of getting around defective genes, so that only the fittest survive. But nature has no answer to the inbred self-righteousness of many dog breeders, a species dedicated to the creation and maintenance of canine cartoons. If it's desirable for your particular breed cartoon to have a flat upturned nose, then that's what you'll get, even if – as in the case of many pedigree pugs – half of your soft palate is pushed down your throat as a result. And if the cartoon requires a pertly cute little skull shape, you'll get that, too, and you'll just have to put up with the fact that there's no longer quite enough room for your brain, so that you may end up in twitching agony with a disease called syringomyelia.

Jemima Harrison's powerful film began with some case studies of cavalier spaniels, which had suffered from this disease – known to be a problem for the breed – and I imagine it will have gone off like a bomb in quite a few British living rooms. I wouldn't count myself as a dog lover. In fact, I only recently qualified as a dog tolerator, after several unrewarding years of intimacy with a wire-haired fox terrier. So if this footage can make me angry, I don't like to think what it will do to viewers with a more heartfelt interest in canine welfare.

The burden of Harrison's film was simple. There are rising levels of disease and distress in pedigree breeds as humans tinker with their genetic make-up to suit their own entirely artificial notion of "breed purity". And the Kennel Club – keeper of the flame of breed type and promoter of dog-show ideals – is not doing nearly enough to prevent the pain and suffering continuing. The case of Rhodesian ridgebacks neatly exemplifies the problem. For the Kennel Club, and ridgeback breeders, the dogs' spinal ridge is "the escutcheon of the breed", an indispensable element of any prize-winning dog. In scientific terms, though, the ridge is also a marker of disease and spinal deformity, and breeding for more prominent ridges has led to an increasing number of dogs with spinal problems. Left to their own devices, the dogs would soon put this right, but ridgeback breeders take care that puppies born without a ridge don't contaminate the gene pool with their unsightly good health. This isn't always easy, given the perverse reluctance of some vets to kill healthy puppies. "We do have trouble nowadays with the young vets who tend to see everything in black and white," said one ridgeback breeder. "'It's a healthy, beautiful puppy, there's nothing wrong with it except that it hasn't got a ridge,'" she continued, parodying their woolly-minded soft-heartedness. In many cases, the disease is intimately knitted together with the characteristics that have been decreed "desirable". George the pug, a hairy collage of physical abnormalities, demonstrated the point nicely. Pugs are supposed to have tightly curled tails, but breed for that and you get twisted spines thrown into the mix for free. George's spine kinked like a crank handle, but it hadn't stopped him qualifying for Crufts, and Harrison had come up with several cases here in which breeders were knowingly breeding from dogs with serious genetic disorders, a situation that the Kennel Club appears to have done little to prevent.

Harrison's most potent evidence, though, was the contrast between Victorian specimens of various breeds, and their grotesquely exaggerated modern counterparts. The Victorian basset hound was unmistakably still a dog, sturdy and handsome. The modern show basset – draped with folds of skin and belly scraping the ground – is a sideshow freak. This was a film that should have legislative consequences, and in the meantime the BBC itself might like to reflect on how it contributes to the problem with its uncritical coverage of Crufts, the Olympics of engineered disability.

Edited by taxexile

^^^^What is this cut and paste job have to do with buying a Thai ridgeback dog? The Thai ridgeback is probably one of the most unadulterated breeds of dogs in the world. It is the closest thing to a dingo. They have not been genetically manipulated or bred for cosmetic purposes....

pluto manibo

They have not been genetically manipulated or bred for cosmetic purposes....

Breed Article - A view point of Judge at a TRD show

A view point of the TRD - Pol. Lt. Col. Paswas Srithai

This is a true story based on fact, and I don't mean to criticize anybody specially. I am writing this article with no bias because I promised the organizer that I would deliver an article for him.

On Sunday November 30, 2003 I was invited by Mr. Sirichai Uccanibutr, a well-known celebrity from Chatuchak Magazine, to be the judge for an annual Thai Ridgeback Dog competition at Rama Gardens Hotel.

The environment around the competition area was quite good with a huge number of the dog-lovers. Most of all, what really impressed me was the weight-dragging competition of the American Pitbull Terrier. On that day, the winner could drag 1,500 Kg and it was another highlight of the event and, dare I say, it was better than having them biting each other.Moreover, there was also a cock competition which made the event very attractive. :o

I had the impression of the event that our celebrity from Chatuchak had done another good job. Also, I used this chance to evaluate the quality of 50-60 Thai Ridgeback Dogs that had joined the competition. I found that most dogs were still in the development process and it mean that their quality varied. It made me nervous because I was not certain whether Thai Breeders would focus on the same things in the future or else try to create their own standard and ultimate goal. The reason is that while all dogs from the first round at least won prizes I could still see that each dog had bad as well as good points. I would not wish to criticize other judges but would like to mention what I saw from that day.

I will briefly mention the weak points of the Thai Ridgeback competition in the Champion round as follows:

1. The structure of the dog is too slim. They have too small bones which is unusual for the fast-running, strong and high-jumping dogs. Thai dogs should have a well-balanced structure along with the bones.

2. The skull is too small and there is a too narrow gap between the forehead and ears.

3. Some dogs do not have almond shaped eyes but round and big ones and too much white surface in the eyeball.

4. Some dogs have a very pointed face with no zygomatic arch and too long a muzzle compared to the skull length, like a rat's face.

5. Some dogs do not have the black lip colour and the lip is not tighten enough (or simply said they have flew)

6. Too big ears, pointing outwards like the Pharaoh Hound, or sometimes too closed like the German Shepherd. They should have small medium ears.

7. No fore-chest, and so it looks like their front legs are attached to the neckline.

8. The corner of scapula and humorous is too wide which causes the uncomfortable step when the dog walks or runs.

9. Very slim and lean body and also very narrow chest. The best Thai Ridgeback dog should have a gracious and strong figure.

10. The ridge is not well balanced and has ultra-short hair. Some ridges are too wide. The arrow ridge seems to be well balanced in a sense.

11. Short croup (too stiff). Some have a too pointed tail and it causes the ugly line around the area. The best croup should be medium-length.

12. Over-angulations at the back legs.

13. Unshaped tail. Some have a very pointed tail, short tail. The sword-shaped tail by the standard of the species means that it will curve only a part of the quadrant. Some have a short tail and it does not reach the hock joint.

14. The underline in the belly area does not tuck up and looks more likely a pig's belly.

15. Very wide paws and the foot's fingers are too small and point out. The foot should be tight and strong.

16. The weaken pastern (too much slope, normally 80 degree) make it walk unstable.

These above-mentioned weak points are not derived from only one dog but were seen variously among the dogs in the champion round. No dogs reached the breed standard at all. If the breeder realized these items and try to develop their own lines, we should have a better quality dog in the future.

I hereby would say that each judge has his own judgment so that the results will differ, which after all does make the event very exciting.

Article from Chatuchak Magazine

Translated (Thai to English) by: Thanapa Tuitiengsat

Edited by taxexile

We also got our dog from a breeder in Bang Na. Great dog although be warned that during her first year when bored she would chew anything in sight!! Lost the front of a Honda Jazz one night...... As soon as she turned 1 no more chewing issues. Great family dog during the day and great guard dog during the night.

From Khun Noy ?

I agree with everything you say! our pair are brilliant. Also including the Honda Jazz ! - Lost the plastic mudguards to the young lady and the plastic trim off the front spoiler.

Do you think this could be a breeding trait i.e. somebody has something against the Jazz! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my partner and I breed Thai Ridgebacks. You can learn more about us and see many pictures at www.manape.com

We have the pictured male available now and are expecting a red litter and a blue litter in October. Anyone interested is welcome to meet and visit with us and our dogs. We usually have an open guest room for overnight guest. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Local and international references available.

Thanks, James & Weena

mobile phone: 086-125-8114

post-41563-1221292916_thumb.jpg

post-41563-1221293312_thumb.jpg

post-41563-1221293426_thumb.jpg

post-41563-1221292856_thumb.jpg

Edited by staffbull