Can I Get A New U.s. Passport From U.s. Consulate In Thailand?

Can I get a new U.S. Passport from U.S. Consulate in Thailand? I di the last time, but they keep changing the rules.

Sorry. maybe I am using the wrong search words, but I could find no other threads.

Ulysses, you certainly can. US Embassy in BKK. Takes two weeks to get back, much faster than in the US.

You can even have someone else pick it up if you don't want to make the second trip.

Call ACS and they'll give you all the details.

Good Luck

Unlike many governmental agencies, ACS in Bangkok is truly helpful, and they seem to have done all that they can to help the process along.

I have never renewed a passport there. I have had pages added, along with various other services such as notarizing US real estate documents, affidavit to marry, certification of income, etc etc etc. Every time the process has been smooth, and the experience overall I would rate good...as good as dealing with any governmental agency can be, anyway.

When you enter the ACS area, on the wall next to the "take a number" machine is a rack with the various forms related to passports.

If you are an amateur psychologist/sociologist as I am, and enjoy crowd surfing, American Citizen Services in the US Embassy offers some of the best. While sitting there for your turn, you will see any number of amusing events.

The best advice that I can give is go early. ACS is open from 07h30-11h00 and 13h00 to 14h00. If you get a number you will be served after 14h00...my experience has been if you get there before 09h00 you will have very little if any wait. I guess people do not think about a governmental office being open so early.

Keep in mind that ACS is closed for all USA and Thai holidays, as well as being closed the last Friday of every month.

Take a look here for more info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Things to bring with you: completed forms (if possible), notes to self (on paper or in memory) of what you want to do, a pen for filling out forms, your passport (for about everything you do there you will need it). Do not forget to bring your "jai yen yen"...you likely will need it.

Good luck.

Unlike many governmental agencies, ACS in Bangkok is truly helpful, and they seem to have done all that they can to help the process along.

I have never renewed a passport there. I have had pages added, along with various other services such as notarizing US real estate documents, affidavit to marry, certification of income, etc etc etc. Every time the process has been smooth, and the experience overall I would rate good...as good as dealing with any governmental agency can be, anyway.

When you enter the ACS area, on the wall next to the "take a number" machine is a rack with the various forms related to passports.

If you are an amateur psychologist/sociologist as I am, and enjoy crowd surfing, American Citizen Services in the US Embassy offers some of the best. While sitting there for your turn, you will see any number of amusing events.

The best advice that I can give is go early. ACS is open from 07h30-11h00 and 13h00 to 14h00. If you get a number you will be served after 14h00...my experience has been if you get there before 09h00 you will have very little if any wait. I guess people do not think about a governmental office being open so early.

Keep in mind that ACS is closed for all USA and Thai holidays, as well as being closed the last Friday of every month.

Take a look here for more info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Things to bring with you: completed forms (if possible), notes to self (on paper or in memory) of what you want to do, a pen for filling out forms, your passport (for about everything you do there you will need it). Do not forget to bring your "jai yen yen"...you likely will need it.

Good luck.

Note, the only stand-alone Consulate these days is up in C. Mai.  Udorn and Songkhla closed long ago.

Note II, the requirement to get an on-line APPOINTMENT, mentioned at the www site:  "Appointments can be made online by clicking here. PLEASE NOTE: We will no longer be able to book appointments over the phone. You must use the online system to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services. "

Mac

Just applied for a new one at the CM consulate UG. Open Tues & Thurs 0830-1100, no appt. needed. You need to bring your old passport (which they will return while you are waiting for the new one), $97 or same in Baht, and two 2"X2" photos on a white background. Fill out the form there and the new passport can be picked up there 2 weeks later between 1:30-3PM.

U....G: I got a renewal passport, my ten years had expired within this year. I merely showed up, filled out the form, paid the fee and waited two weeks, and then went in in the afternoon of a Citizens Service day and picked up the new passport.

They give you a letter to immigration so you can then go and have your visa stamps transferred to your new passport.

They give you back your hole punched old passport so you can use it for your visa transfer and other uses when proof of long stay or other reasons come forth.

A "slam dunk" by any measure.

Please post if an appointment is necessary!!!

I don't recall making an appointment, had to for gettting visa for a Thai. If the web site for the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai says an appointment is necessary for a passport renewal, do it.

Post previous to mine lodged while I was typing says no appointment as I thought.

The picture for me was problematic. There is a form explaining exactly how they want the picture taken. Your face must occupy a very large part of the 2x2 photograph with a white background. Certain photo studios know this and others do not.

Went I was sent away from the Consulate for an inadequate photo, I had the form with me to show the studio. Up to you whether you want to stop by the consulate and get that form before getting the photo. With your connections, I suspect you know of a photo studio that does a lot of work for U.S. citizen papport matters. I think it has to do with face recognition software and scanning of passport pictures.

I think you will be pleased with the art work on the new passports. They also have an embeded chip. I am amazed they can do it in a two week turnaround.

Thanks all. A buddy of mine was told that they did not do it any more (in Chiang Mai or Bangkok) and had to send everything off to the U.S. himself. The Consulate said that they would provide the forms, but the rest was his responsibility.

I do know that they also refused to provide him with more pages because something had been altered on his passport (he said that one of the Embassies had done it when he applied for a visa), so maybe that is why they refused to help him apply for a new passport? :o

Bangkok indeed does request you make an appointment and you will have no wait if you do so. The application form is DS-82 20-2008 and can be downloaded from State (link on Embassy web site). Not sure if they accept A4 paper however (although it prints well on it). If not you will have to put on the forms they have in office. But it is only a few lines on two pages so will not take long.

Bangkok indeed does request you make an appointment and you will have no wait if you do so. The application form is DS-82 20-2008 and can be downloaded from State (link on Embassy web site). Not sure if they accept A4 paper however (although it prints well on it). If not you will have to put on the forms they have in office. But it is only a few lines on two pages so will not take long.

Also, be VERY CAREFUL about the size and background for your photo!  Mine almost didn't make it two years ago.  The Thai gal at the Bangkok ACS unit has a template to measure your photo, too large and you have to try again. overall size max 2" x 2".

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html

Head Position and Background

Guidelines

Head should be positioned directly facing the camera

Photo should capture from slightly above top of hair to middle of chest

Eyes should be open and looking at the camera

Eyeglasses should be worn if normally used by the subject

Glare on eyeglasses can usually be avoided with a slight upward or downward tilt of the head

Background should be plain white or off-white

Include headpieces if worn daily for religious purposes; they should not obscure or cast shadows on the eyes or any other part of the face

7 Steps to Successful Photos Frame subject with full face, front view, eyes open 

Make sure photo presents full head from top of hair to bottom of chin; height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25 mm to 35 mm)

Center head within frame (see Figure 2 below)

Make sure eye height is between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3/8 inches (28 mm and 35 mm) from bottom of photo

Photograph subject against a plain white or off-white background 

Position subject and lighting so that there are no distracting shadows on the face or background

Encourage subject to have a natural expression

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I did mine at a local FUJU digital shop.

Mac