Anyone Travelling To Chiang Mai Jan/feb/mar?

popmybubble

Is anyone on here planning a trip from the UK to Chiang Mai in Jan/Feb/March next year?

I'm planning on going over there to see a friend I met earlier this year, but I'm thinking it could be more fun to go with a travel 'buddy' and possibly safer as I have never travelled alone before.

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much.. Chiang Mai is super easy, it's been a major tourist destination for decades.. It's a really good place to start in Thailand as it's so much smaller/easier/cheaper compared to Bangkok.

Just book a connecting flight to Chiang Mai, from there there's airport taxis into town, as well as buses.

Not sure what budget you're on, but I guess your friend can book or recommend something.

Honestly I wouldn't worry; little old ladies travel to Chiang Mai by themselves. :o (As well as loads of backpackers, package tourists, etc., etc.)

Let me know if you have a any questions or concerns..

Is there a part of the year there when it is smokey? That's what I want to avoid, but I would like to visit. Strangely because I've noticed the CM members on TV seem so good-natured, I figure they must be happy up there and so it must be a nice place. (Disclaimer--my logic and observations may be faulty.)

Edited by zzdocxx

Is there a part of the year there when it is smokey? That's what I want to avoid, but I would like to visit.

It's more smoggy than smokey (think Beijing on a good day; it's not like you smell smoke but visibility is crap) This happens for a couple weeks around March, i.e. the height of the dry season. It's very dry indeed that time, and hot, so you really don't want to visit that time.

Best time to visit is December-February, which is also dry but temperatures are not too hot, with good sunny weather. The rainy season is also very good, say May-August. September and early October can be too wet (though I still greatly prefer it to March!), then November is a good month as well, no rain but can be still on the hot side.

This explains it pretty well: http://nachang.com/dryseason/