Going Dutch

miltonbentley

Yes we know she's not Dutch but Rachel has always had a great love of all things orange as well as clogs, windmills and tulips. In honour of our many friends from the Netherlands Chiang Mai Tuskers has decided to have a Dutch party this Saturday (23rd August).

We will be having a big drinks promotion on Heineken and Gin as well as providing plenty of tasty Dutch treats and playing some really rather daft games.

We would like to invite everyone on TV to join us but make sure you wear orange! :o:D

going%20dutch500.jpg

I heard Chaz wants to try to make bitterballen himself !!!!! Can't wait !!!!! biggrin.gif

I don't want all the Nedelanders to get too excited about this prospect. I have never made them before so it will probably be a sort of half arsed English effort rather than first rate Dutch bitterballen but I will give it a go.

Crikey there's more to this bitterballen lark than meets the eye!

Mai pen rai the fool boldly goes where others have too much sense to tread. I'll have a go and the worst that can happen is that our Dutch friends roll around laughing, which is never a bad thing at a party :o

Bitterballen (round) and kroketten (oblong) different recipes:

http://www.recipekitchen.com/Starters/Appetizers/app28.html

4 tbl. butter or margarine

1/2 lb ground beef or veal

1/4 cup carrot, finely diced

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

A grating of fresh nutmeg

1 tbl. fresh lemon juice

2 tbl. parsley, finely chopped

5 tbl. flour

1 cup beef broth or milk

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp. water

Oil for deep frying

Heat one tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and cook the meat, carrots, and onions until the meat is browned and the carrots are tender. Drain the meat in a colander, then place in a mixing bowl. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and parsley and stir to combine. Set the meat mixture aside. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook this for 2 to 3

minutes, then add the beef broth or milk. Continue heating, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and becomes quite thick. Combine the sauce with the meat mixture, stirring to combine them thoroughly, and chill this mixture for at least two hours in the refrigerator, until it has become solid. When the mixture has solidified, roll it into balls about 1 inches in diameter, using your hands. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs, then in the egg and water mixture, then in the bread crumbs again. Fry a few at a time in a deep fryer with at least 2 inches of oil at 375 degrees until golden (about 2 to 3 minutes). Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

http://www.massrecipes.com/recipes/03/07/b...allen32542.html

2 T. butter

1 T. minced onion

3 T. flour

1 c. milk or stock

2 T. minced parsley

1 t. salt

1 t. Worcestershire sauce

1/2 t. dry mustard

1/4 t. curry powder

1 lb. ground veal

2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Gouda cheese

1 c. fine dry bead crumbs

2 eggs

2 T. water

oil for frying

Melt butter in med. saucepan. Sauté onion until transparent. Blend in flour. Gradually add milk or stock, stirring

constantly. Stir until thickened, about 8 min. Add parsley, salt, Worcestershire, mustard, curry powder, veal and cheese. Simmer 5 min. Cover and chill several hours. Dip hands in cold water and shape chilled mixture into tiny balls. (May be frozen at this point.) Roll balls in crumbs. Beat eggs with water. Dip balls in egg mixture and roll in crumbs again. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight. Fry in hot oil (375°) until browned. Drain on paper towels. Makes

about 80.

http://www.coquinaria.nl/print/kroketengprint.htm

Ingredients:

600 gram cooked meat, chicken or beef (from making stock or broth)

To make the roux:

1 onion, chopped

60 gram butter

60 gram flour

½ liter stock

pepper,salt, mace, nutmeg to taste

For the breading:

flour

eggs or egg whites

toasted breadcrumbs

Yummi!!!!!!!!! :o

I won't even attempt to write the names of those Dutch foods or games. I think you would need to be bananas drunk if you have any hope of pronouncing them correctly if you're not Dutch!

What I am interested in is the Heineken promotion for wearing orange clothes. What exactly is the promotion: what time does it run from-until, how orange to you have to be and what % discount is in place?? Food and games are of secondary importance to this question :D:D:o:D:D .

Kind regards,

Hill16

In response to your drinks promotion query Hill16

Heineken and Gin are 25% off all night with a special 'Dutch Super Hour' between 7-8pm with 50% off all drinks but YOU MUST WEAR ORANGE to qualify.

How orange to you have to be? Well shirts or dresses must be predominantly orange so a black Dutch Lion or KNVB in big black letter on orange is acceptable.

Here's a couple of examples

fan.jpeg

Qualifies!

girl.jpeg

Definitely Qualifies!

embaraased.jpeg

Does not qualify and you can see how embarrassed the fellow is.

Wear you orange with pride

I have been wearing my orange shirt all day and have a fondness for things Dutch but sorry being ensconced in Pattaya town will need to miss out of the party.

Hope everyone has a great time and best Birthday wishes to Rachel for Tuesday - seems like we had one for her only last year :o

CB

Thanks Chaz,

Yes people, saturday evening will be a great Orange Party and we guys from HDS Co, that is 'Handmade Dutch Specialties' have offered Chaz to present our "Bitterballen/Cocktail bites" and "Frikandellen bites" to you.

Weather or not Dutch, you gotta love these bites or at least taste them. Addictive? We don't put any stuff in it that will make you go berserk as I earlier read about space cake, but we are sure you will like them. Even Thai people like the cocktail bites. They refer to them as 'Look chin kraawp naawk noom nai', sorry bout my Tinglish, but ask your second half about it.

Great opportunity for all the Benelux people too, who sometimes die for a kroket or bitterbal.

We sell to many Chiang Mai restaurant/bars already, such as Bistro Number 1, Restaurant Benelux, Bar/Restaurant The Wall, Guesthouse Hollanda Montri and are happy to deliver to private people as well.

Like to meet you at the Orange Party. Go Nuts and Duts. :o

Can't wait any longer? [email protected] for more details.

BTW, there is no proper English name for 'Frikandellen'. Just watch the Dutch guys/girls how they react and taste for yourselves.

A Frikandel is an alien food thing. Tube like meatloaf with an alien taste. Together with finely chopped onions, mayo and ketchup it is no longer alien, but heaven. Sorry, we only serve the mini's without.

For those who don't know about Kroketten/Bitterballen, I assume you saw the recepies above, but do mind there is more to it than just a recipy.

Great night.........but waht was in those shots?......they caught me out ......I can't remember EVER being so legless after I left.

This morning's hangover is testimony to a good night out.

It was nice to sample the Dutch food too

Thanks to everyone who came last night - It was great fun and really great to be surrounded by so many good friends!!!

Thai Pauly, No idea what those shots were, but they're certainly linked to my thumping head this morning.....

Ouch! My head hurts. Was it the Jenever shots or was it staying out until 5am at Jackies?

Thank you everyone for making it such a great night, really top notch and a massive effort on the orange dress - it was extremly bright and colourful, Holland would have been proud.

Also thanks to Hugo for keeping everyone well fed with genuine Dutch delicacies - heerllijk :o

We'll do it again soon but first recovery.

By the way I believe I remain Chiang Mai's men's Spijkerpoepen champion!

Ouch! My head hurts. Was it the Jenever shots or was it staying out until 5am at Jackies?

Thank you everyone for making it such a great night, really top notch and a massive effort on the orange dress - it was extremly bright and colourful, Holland would have been proud.

Also thanks to Hugo for keeping everyone well fed with genuine Dutch delicacies - heerllijk :D

We'll do it again soon but first recovery.

By the way I believe I remain Chiang Mai's men's Spijkerpoepen champion!

And I am the Koekhappen champion! :o