American tv in los

NathanV23

Do you mean you found a 256k connection and it still wasn't feasable to do the download? If so, what kind of time are we talking to complete the download? I think in BKK there is true high speed interent (not just 256k). Maybe put up a new post to ask where. But if it doesn't work on 256k, that's not good news for anyone interested in trying this who isn't in Bangkok!

I tried two net cafes that claim to be 256K or higher and neither seemed to achieve that.  The first one I was at, on 2nd Road, actually only hit speeds of 12 kbps!  

I'm sure it can be done though, because I just linked in to my desktop (again, through PC Anywhere) and right now I'm uploading the test file to my web server, as a test to see how long it would take.  This is all being ftp'ed through my cable modem back in the US, via me remotely in Pattaya on a dial-up connection in my hotel (khao chai mai?)  :o

At any rate, after about 15 minutes of uploading, it's about 3 or 4% done.  So, I'm sure this is feasible--I just have to find a TRUE HIGH SPEED CONNECTION.  Anyone know of one??  I tried posting that question previously and, as I recall, didn't get much of a response.

If anyone knows where in Pattaya I can go to test this out, I'll be here till early August and am willing to take the time to try it out...

Doug

I don't know what it all costs, but it looks like the Direct TV USA on Direct TV 5 at 119 degrees W

(http://www.lyngsat.com/dig/directvusa119.shtml)

gives you all the US networks across dozens of local markets. I'd liek to be able to see sports from back home too. It looks like with this, you would  basically be able to watch every US sporting event live plus all the sitcoms if you're into that sort of thing (which I'm not) although I  do enjoy laughing at the biased US news reporting. Anyway, could it really be this easy? Feel free to go to the page and let us know what you think.

I don't know what it all costs, but it looks like the Direct TV USA on Direct TV 5 at 119 degrees W

Satellites are line-of-sight and those serving the USA are well below the horizon from Thailand.  Also most are using directional antennas that would further limit their coverage.

if there was a market, couldn't the satellite serving the US bounce the signal over to one serving asia

They would more likely downlink in the Pacific and then feed another satellite serving Asia but you are talking money, copyright rights and international relations.  Not many countries would be keen to have an American signal being received within their homelands.  The problems Star TV has had would be minor in comparison I suspect.

Yes, I forgot to consider the political implications of having America saturating the airwaves. I think its only a matter of time before there are streaming broadcasts to websites and you can watch any channel in the world for free. Of course we'll need broadband. How many years til Thailand's main cities have true broadband?

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson,

Is this based on solid information? Any idea what companies are involved, what kind of price we would pay and is it really only 18 months away?

Doug,

Once you found the high spees internet, could you manage to watch Tv from home? How practical is it? What was the quality like?

Doug,

Once you found the high speed internet, could you manage to watch Tv from home? How practical is it? What was the quality like?

OK, I'm finally back home and can now report back how it all went.

I opted to test out my #3 option (from my previous post on this thread: "Leave a PC with a TV tuner card installed (like an ATI All-in-Wonder), connected to a cable TV system and broadband").

I had PC Anywhere installed on my desktop back home and on my laptop, which I took with me to LOS.  I was able to successfully record very American TV back home.  I was even able to download them to my laptop in Thailand and watch them in my hotel room! The problem was that I didn't find a net shop fast (and/or reliable) enough to pull down the 650+ MB of data for a standard 1-hour show.  Bummer!

But, I think if/when broadband ever really comes to Thailand (not just the 256K "broadband"), then it would be possible.  However... I did have a problem with the power going off back home, which resulted in me having to call someone back home.  I had to instruct the person on how to reboot my PC and reboot my cable modem.  So that brings up another point: make sure you can leave your equipment back home in the hands of someone who is PC-literate.

Also, from time to time, my ISP will assign me a new IP address.  That kills PC Anywhere!  You gotta make sure you have a static IP, if you want to try doing things this way.

I'd still like to try streaming the output from the TV Tuner  (on my vdeo card) to a private web site, then use PC Anywhere to change channels and/or record, using the above method.  That would probably be the ultimate!  That way I could really channel-surf and then if I found something I wanted to watch on the big set I could record it and watch it later!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Living in probably the only condo in BKK with mainly non English cable tv, (live camel racing from Dubai, wow!) we do pick up a bit of singaporean tv in english.

what about hawaii, and png. I know of bars that pick up aussie stuff from satellites serving png. (not sure how, maybe not exactly legal ....)

pardon my geography, but is Hawaii close enough?