Is 7-11 The Only Company Still Using Satang Coins?

Theyreallrubbish

I got some from Big C, (or Tescos), the other day.WE keep ours in a piggybank and they will go to our temple when it is full

That's a good idea.

But even a full jar would probaly be only a hundred baht or two.

Why do they still even make these coins?

I can still remember 10 Baht notes, and also Banharn's attempt to fix inflation by bringing it back temporarily, so the Thais do change their money. Why not just drop the satang coins

I got some from Big C, (or Tescos), the other day.WE keep ours in a piggybank and they will go to our temple when it is full

Same at our house; we get them from Tops Market all the time and ours go to the temple as well.

I don't know why they still make them, but i am sure that a temple would more than appreciate them even if it is just a hundred baht. I just looked at them to see if i could read the date but the writings too small. Some of them are really shiny so i guess they have been minted very recently. Must cost much more to make them than their face value.

lol,i forgot about the 2 baht coin. Other than the satangs, all my coins when they fill a piggybank will go into my sons bank account. We have paid in about 3000 baht so far but in all of that only 8 baht was in 2 baht coins. Why are they so similar to a 1 baht coin?

Must cost much more to make them than their face value.

They are worth a bit less than a US penny, but weigh much less. No idea if it costs less to produce than it's worth, but there are a lot more pennies out there than satang.

EDIT: I'm referring to the 25 satang coins. 25 satang ~ .75 cents.

Edited by surface

> Must cost much more to make them than their face value.

Exactly my thoughts a few evenings ago when clearing the loose change pile.

In a thread about baht buses some time ago I mentioned I was collecting 25s and 50s to pay for a ride along beach road with a Golden Shower, I almost have enough.

I give them to a girl from the high North; they make rings out of them to sell them to tourists (for a good markup I would think).

I give them to a girl from the high North; they make rings out of them to sell them to tourists (for a good markup I would think).

I do believe that it is illegal to use Thai coins for anything other than their intended purpose.

Although they are annoying they do keep inflation in check somewhat.

From personal experience when a country has removed the smallest denomination from the market, the prices go up the next smallest denomination very quickly, prices never drop nor stay the same.

If you really dislike the coins, give it to your local beggar around the corner or your maid or if you collect coins, to your local charity. If you do something with it, someone will benefit. Costs you just satangs too.

I get them regularly from 7-11's, Lotus, BigC etc. Never from "fasionable" grocery stores though (eg. Tops marketplace), they seem to be rounding it, fairly, up or down.

I do believe that it is illegal to use Thai coins for anything other than their intended purpose.

... as is prostitution or driving without a helmet, but I assume you knew that.

... as is prostitution or driving without a helmet, but I assume you knew that.

I'm not a prostitute and if anyone ever sees me riding my bike without a helmet they have my full permission to slap me!

I've noticed that I get charged by the fractions of 25 satang or 50 satang when buying produce at Big C or Makro..Annoying little coins, aren't they?

Yes, it's been awhile since I received a 2 baht coin. The first time I went to use one I thought it was a one baht coin and the cashier informed that it was 2 baht. One can barely tell the different size.

As far as a 10 baht note, I still occasionally receive one of these every now and then. I was told by a friend that they used to make a 20 baht coin years ago but I have never seen one of these as I'm sure they have all been out of circulation or else in a collectors' hands.

I as well place most of my baht coins in my daughter's piggy bank. We have three piggy banks full now and I am wondering, will the banks count these for you using a machine? Is there a charge for this service? I know that the latest fad in the USA over the past 3-5 years is introducing coin counting machines at the larger grocery stores enticing everyone to bring their coins in for redemption. Machine counts it for you, you take a receipt to the cashier and she provides bills in return. Quite the racket this business has started as it charges something unbelievable such as 10 or 15%.... If I recall the company's name is CoinStar and they were even listed on the small cap stock exchange.

O God. I forgot about 7-11 & their infernal "rounding"

You'll get a bill from TRUE corp TOT etc.

Guess where 7-11 is gonna round it to?? you guessed it 757.25

I keep the little buggers in my pocket so I can get close. If you don't you just wind up with more of them.

I still have a 5 baht note from my first tour here decades ago. Would be even more of a pain if they still used notes for the small change too. A wad of 1 baht notes would look pretty impressive though. :o

"In 1925, notes were issued with the denomination baht used in the English text, in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 100 and 1000 baht."

More interesting trivia here > Thai Baht