Current Or Savings

Current account is a checking account - normally not available for foreigners without a work permit.

Savings account is normally a passbook savings account which is designed for normal ATM usage and often with a debit card.

Fixed deposit are savings accounts designed for longer term savings.

A current account has a check book and could be personal or business and would come with various cards.You would have to be a resident to get one though.

A savings account is just that, and at my bank (Bangkok Bank) I have been issued a visa card that can be used to make purchases anywhere in the World provided there are sufficient funds available.For that you can just go to the bank and open the account.

Hope that answers your question.

A current account has a check book and could be personal or business and would come with various cards.You would have to be a resident to get one though.

A savings account is just that, and at my bank (Bangkok Bank) I have been issued a visa card that can be used to make purchases anywhere in the World provided there are sufficient funds available.For that you can just go to the bank and open the account.

Rubbish...have one in both Thailand and Singapore and not resident in either...however on a Thai Work permit

Rubbish...have one in both Thailand and Singapore and not resident in either...however on a Thai Work permit

That was a bit harsh - Its a resident or with a workpermit in Thailand for a current account. Savings accounts are a little more flexible but done on a case by case basis without a work permit (automatically paying utility bills at a condominium is a good reason). This is a little like the UK Nationwide savings books, money in, money out, cash point and international debit card, update book at the branch or local machine - NO credit. Oh and you DO get interest BTW (I was surprised)

Edited by pkrv