Tuesdays Shooting Outside Carrefour (Update)

iainiain101

Don't accidents happen all over the place. You could have hit another car or a car hit you, I don't see why it is so shocking?

I'm going to take this at face value and explain the reason why on the offchance that you do not understand. There are several reason why it was shocking;

1. It is not normal or sane behaviour to discharge firearms in a public area.

2. A child in its safety seat suffered a serious injury. It would have been just as shocking if it had been me sitting on the passenger side, because it was unprovoked and unexpected. Despite all the harping about crime in Thailand, people do not go around shooting helpless babies.

3. This was not an accident. It was indirect damage arising from someone's attempt to kill or maim another person. It was a thoughtless and senseless act of violence. The incident cannot be compared to a car collision as you have described. To be similar, that vehicular impact would have involved a vehicle being used in an attempt to run someone down, missing and instead running down an innocent passerby. Had that happened, the event would still be considered shocking. If you wish to compare hypothetical situations, then at least use an equivalent scenario.

It may be hard for you to empathize, but if a single male with no children like me can appreciate the horror and fears of the parent, I'm sure that if you ponder the situation a bit more, you will understand why people are upset.

Edited by geriatrickid

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't accidents happen all over the place. You could have hit another car or a car hit you, I don't see why it is so shocking?

You equate a motor accident with random flying bullets from public gunfights hitting infants? Ya..... that happens ALL THE TIME. Never in my life did I read about a story of a baby getting shot by someone.

AHHHHH & the last time you were shot at in a driveby was?????????????????

By a 9mm. no less out of a car. kind of a strange place for a gun cleaning accident to occur. Chances of a car or motorcycle accident to occur often a random driveby in Thailand next to nil.

I am sure if it was your daughter you most likely would not be posting this.

As the father of a 13 month old daughter I was truly shocked and horrified to hear about this terrible incident. I am so glad your daughter suffered no more than she has and I hope that with time she can put this behind her and forget the incident.

It beggars belief that this could happen but with life so cheap here, the respect for life is so low. It is despicable that the authorities have tried to wash over this.

I wish your whole family the very best and am comforted that your daughter's injuries are physically largely superficial. My thoughts are with you.

What an awful remark, thankfully you have a minority view. A minority of one I would suggest.

I hope to god you never find yourself in the same position as this family.

Edited by Governor

As I am sure most of you have heard, Lala (Isobel, our 15 month old daughter) was shot outside of Carrefour on Tuesday afternoon, but is now making a speedy recovery, more so than both Nee and I.

For those who have not heard, we were leaving the Superhighway exit of Carrefour just before 3pm on Tuesday afternoon, when within 5 to 10 metres the curb side passenger window exploded. We both looked round in shock and I noticed a small round hole at the bottom of the window, and said 'we have been shot!'. We both looked at Lala who was screaming but initially seemed ok, but as Nee tried to console her blood started to stain the left hand side of her dress. This was without doubt the worst moment of both our lives. A motorbike rider who had witnessed 'several people shooting at each other' stopped and jumped in to direct us to the nearest hospital. Neither of us could think straight at the time.

We went straight to the McCormick hospital where Lala was taken into emergency. We were not admitted, but a couple of the nurses had to leave in tears. (made it worse for us) I phoned the British consul and they were great at coming straight down and helping translate for me. Nee and I were in pieces and the press everywhere taking video and pictures did not help.

The doctor explained to us that they had taken a first set of X-rays but could not find the bullet, maybe it was in her back. After more X-rays they could still not find it. He explained that rather than a round hole that he would expect from a bullet, Lala had a 2 cm deep gash in her chest and there were bits of plastic in it. I suggested we looked at the car, and it was there we found what appeared to be a bullet lodged in the infant chair shoulder harness. (later confirmed by the police to be a 9 mm bullet).

The medical staff are calling it a miracle, the harness stopped the bullet passing through from left to right at chest height, and almost certainly killing her.

Lala has been stitched up and released from hospital yesterday and seems to be fine. Nee and I however are really struggling coming to terms with almost losing her.

Both the local and tourist police are investigating the incident. Anyone with any information could pass it on to them, or the British Consulate who are aware a British girl has been shot in Chiang Mai.

I think we are up to receiving visitors, would be a nice distraction, just call first.

I have attached a couple of photos. The mobile phone picture shows where the bullet almost came through the harness.

Lala, Iain & Nee

I am very happy to hear the outcome of something that could have been very very terrible. I will keep all three of you in my prayers.

All The Best,

skullyman2727

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 15 month old son and really feel for you, mate. This must have been a nightmare for the family and yourself and I am really glad you guys made it. I dont know what else to say but this country is becoming more and more a playground for the crazy people.

God bless!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if copies of the Sun newspaper reporting this event were seized and destroyed at the point of entry to the Kingdom.

Scotland Yard did indeed send officers to assist in the solving of the lady backpacker murder in CM a few years back at the request of the Thai Government. They didn't stay too long citing a total lack of cooperation, and offering some very harsh judgments on the mental capabilities and profession abilities of the RTP.

Commiserations to the distraught parents and of course the tot.