Olympic Medals Tables

This is my 4th Summer Olympics since I've been away from the USA. This is the first time I've noticed that in the US the list of medal winning countries is sorted by total overall medals won and apparently everywhere else it is by total Gold medals won. I would guess it doesn't really matter - except for bragging rights - because the Games aren't about one country gaining victory over all others. I mean, the IOC doesn't hand out a prize to the winning country.

As far as these Olympics go, I think China is easily the "winner". Yes, the US has more medals over all but China is running all over everyone in winning Gold. It's not even close. I guess if they wanted to come up with a way of doing it they could give 3 points per Gold, 2 pts per Silver and 1 pt per Bronze. Of course, then you might want to calculate in the number of medals per capita of each nation as well as the number of participants from each country in each Olympics. And then of course you,...ah, screw it. Maybe they should do away with the medal table all together.

Any opinions on this out there?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was most amused to see the medals table on CNN the other day, putting the USofA on top. Never seen it done that way before. Has that always been the American way?

You are probably correct, that is done for propaganda purposes. You could present the table either way. Sometimes the SAME country wins both contests though, correct?

This is my 4th Summer Olympics since I've been away from the USA. This is the first time I've noticed that in the US the list of medal winning countries is sorted by total overall medals won and apparently everywhere else it is by total Gold medals won. I would guess it doesn't really matter - except for bragging rights - because the Games aren't about one country gaining victory over all others. I mean, the IOC doesn't hand out a prize to the winning country.

As far as these Olympics go, I think China is easily the "winner". Yes, the US has more medals over all but China is running all over everyone in winning Gold. It's not even close. I guess if they wanted to come up with a way of doing it they could give 3 points per Gold, 2 pts per Silver and 1 pt per Bronze. Of course, then you might want to calculate in the number of medals per capita of each nation as well as the number of participants from each country in each Olympics. And then of course you,...ah, screw it. Maybe they should do away with the medal table all together.

Any opinions on this out there?

The Olympic spirit is about GOLD - SILVER - BRONZE medalists.

But, GOLD medalists will always be remembered. Not so for Silver and bBronze.

Everyone knows who won 7 GOLD medals with swimming and now Phelps won 8.

Nobody, other than the ones interested, remember the silver and bronze medalists anymore after a while.

GOLD will always be # 1; everybody in Thailand knows the girl who won GOLD with weightlifting; NOBODY knows about the silver or bronze medalists.

LaoPo

It's not as simple as "most Golds wins". If Counrty A has 5 Gold and 10 overall, are they more successful than the Country B with 4 Gold and 30 overall? It shouldn't be much of a question because nothing is awarded with the country with most overall medals or most gold medals.

Phelps won 8 Gold medals. Does that make him "better" than countries who have 7 different athletes earning one Gold each?

Phelps might be the best athlete in the world, but I hear his father is an OCTOPUS.

This isn't rocket science. If you want to see the ratings, you can easily see who is tops in gold, who is tops in total medals. If you are a total nerd, you can assign points to the gold, silver, bronze and determine the real "winner" by points. This is subjective. Look at the tables. Soak it in and read it as you like.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are a total nerd, you can assign points to the gold, silver, bronze and determine the real "winner" by points.

OK, To satisfy the nerds amongst us I have assigned points using the system quoted by a previous poster.

3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze.

At close of play 22 August the standings are as follows.

China: Gold 47 = 141 points, Silver 17 = 34 points, Bronze 25 = 25 points. Total points = 200

U.S.A: Gold 31 = 93 points, Silver 36 = 72 points, Bronze 35 = 35 points. Total points = 200

If you are a total nerd, you can assign points to the gold, silver, bronze and determine the real "winner" by points.

OK, To satisfy the nerds amongst us I have assigned points using the system quoted by a previous poster.

3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze.

At close of play 22 August the standings are as follows.

China: Gold 47 = 141 points, Silver 17 = 34 points, Bronze 25 = 25 points. Total points = 200

U.S.A: Gold 31 = 93 points, Silver 36 = 72 points, Bronze 35 = 35 points. Total points = 200

Tied? What are the chances of that?

In previous years I have only see the table that has the most golds. Thats the way it should be.

Why? Is there any reasoning other than "that's what I'm used to"?

imo a gold medal is alot more superior then a silver. nobody remembers the silver medalists. only gold

In previous years I have only see the table that has the most golds. Thats the way it should be.

Why? Is there any reasoning other than "that's what I'm used to"?

imo a gold medal is alot more superior then a silver. nobody remembers the silver medalists. only gold

OK, hard to argue with that one.

Who cares?

The olympics are <deleted> all to do with sport. It's all about staging a glittering opening ceremony and then an equally glittering closing ceremony all full of happy smiling faces, stirring music and awe inspiring fireworks. The bit in between is just an irritation to be got through hopefully without too many embarrasing incidents.

Whilst it is clear that athletes represent their countries, isn't this really about individual achivement rather than national achievement? We surely should be honouring the athletes rather than their country of origin or residence.

If you want to measure National achievement, maybe try number of medals per head of population to draw from.

Statistics eh!!

T

Edited by laphroaig

That's how the official Olympic table is done.

The BBC has five altenatives here.

Interesting stuff.

from the link;

"Here are five alternative ways to interpret how countries rank, taking into account gold, silver and bronze, population size, gross domestic product and size of the Olympic team."

- What in the world does GDP have to do with any of this?

OP, are you sure thasn you are not British with all your whinging? Just because USA is not top of the medal table but if you look at NY Times, they have 'fixed' it so that the US is on top!

The real contest will come after the Olympics end when Huggies and Pampers fight it out for sponsorship of the 2012 USA Olympic team. Face facts, your team was bad - why are Jamaica (pop 2.8 million) leading USA (pop 304 million) in athletic gold medals.

thingthing "China is most likely going to have some of their gold taken away because of the baby girl gymnast scandals" - there is no proof so it's another oversize case of American sour grapes.

In previous years I have only see the table that has the most golds. Thats the way it should be. And jingjing, why do you think there are babies competing in the olympics? You seem to have no idea and have lost it.

I guess you don't read the news?post-37101-1219453066_thumb.jpg

"China is most likely going to have some of their gold taken away because of the baby girl gymnast scandals" - there is no proof so it's another oversize case of American sour grapes.

Actually, there is plenty of proof. The athletes in question have had their ages published before so there is no doubt. Just the lack of will to take on the big China panda. Oooooo.

Anyway, as the BBC link above shows, there are different ways of looking at the medal tables. Just another fact for you to mull over.

Edited by koheesti

Yes, there is plenty of evidence but the IOC doesn't have what it takes to take on the biggest totalitarian government in the world, the PRC. So the babies will keep their medals, and people in the free world will know they were not earned legitimately.

Actually, there is plenty of proof.

Can you provide unbiased links?

Unbiased? I suppose anything that shows China is cheating is considered biased, correct? And if the Chinese gov't provides documents created by the Chinese gov't then they are unbiased - also correct?

Bottomline, don't worry about it. Even if the little girl herself came out and admitted to being 14 the IOC wouldn't have the cajones to do anything about it.

So which is it, can't provide links or won't provide them? In a country of so many people, is there only one He Kexin?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080822/D92N9GC00.html

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and He's gold on uneven bars. Media reports include a Nov. 3 story by the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, that suggest He is only 14. Asked again earlier this week about her age after winning the uneven bars title, beating American Nastia Liukin in a tiebreak, she said:

"I was born in 1992, and I'm 16 years old now," He said. "The FIG has proved that. If I'm under 16, I couldn't have been competing here."

Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists. In the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

---

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997. Younger gymnasts are considered to have an advantage because they are more flexible and are likely to have an easier time doing the tough skills the sport requires. They also aren't as likely to have a history of injuries or fear of failure.

North Korea was barred from the 1993 world championships after FIG officials discovered Kim Gwang Suk, the gold medalist on uneven bars in 1991, was listed as 15 for three years in a row. Romania admitted in 2002 that several gymnasts' ages had been falsified, including Olympic medalists Gina Gogean and Alexandra Marinescu. Even China's own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 during the 2000 Games.

a 14 year ld girl winning a gold medal should be celebrated, not being called a cheat, she didnt take any drugs. She beat everyone to get this gold medal.

Some people just cant stand that the Chinese beat the US this year. It happend now so what.

There are long established RULES against it. Everybody must play within the rules or forfeit. Oh, wait. I forgot to read the fine print, "Cheating is OK if the USA loses out in the process" - Which brings me to the next point that other women (note the event is called Womens Gymnastics, not Girls) from countries besides the USA would receive the Golds as well. And of course those who had won Bronze would get Silver and those poor women who played within the RULES and finished 4th - going home with nothing after all those years of training - would receive the Bronze medal they justly deserve. I guess your point is that only Americans count and other nationalities aren't worth considering. A really messed up way to look at the world IMO.

Edited by koheesti

Nadia Comaneci was 14 when she won her golds.

Personally, the gymnastic federation should either start enforcing ages, or should give up on it altogether. Nobody's apparently suggesting she wasn't the better gymnast.

The problem is that the way it's checked at the moment is by checking the date of birth in her passport. So if her passport says she's 16, she is...

What do you want them to try and do? Is there a medical test for age (that's accurate)?

Edited by bkk_mike