Putting In A Swimming Pool

cheynewalk

Does anybody know somewhere in the Chiang Mai area where I can get a reasonably priced swimming pool installed? For some reason the quotes I am getting are as expensive as Australia (500,000 baht and upwards).

Surely it can't be that expensive to pay 20 men to dig a hole in your yard, drop in a fibreglass shell, plumb it in and add a filter.

Does anybody know somewhere in the Chiang Mai area where I can get a reasonably priced swimming pool installed? For some reason the quotes I am getting are as expensive as Australia (500,000 baht and upwards).

Surely it can't be that expensive to pay 20 men to dig a hole in your yard, drop in a fibreglass shell, plumb it in and add a filter.

no fibre glass shells available to the best of my knowledge.

I have a few blocks of land in the San Sai and Doi Saket areas. You are welcome to install a pool on my land if you wish. I'd even let you use it occasionally.

Pools are expensive as they are a luxury item here, all the fittings, filters, pumps, etc., are imported and attract high levels of tax. THB500,000 is at the low end of the market.

There is a bit more to just digging a hole and dropping a fibreglass shell into it. I think you'll find all the pools here a brick lined with steel reinforcing and concrete. Getting the correct blend on concrete for a leakproof pool is not the same as pouring a cement slab for a footpath or driveway.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Dejoux are IMO the best people to install a pool.

They are a French company and everything is imported.

I paid about 800,000 for a 10 x 4 pool, but that was 4 years ago, it would be around the Million mark if not more now.

Upside is they give a 10 year warrenty, something unheard of here or anywhere for that matter, and their after sales service is superb, any small problems and they are here within the hour. No charge, except if the pool light burns out.

Of course there are cheaper options, the first quote I got was 200k less, but they said I could build the pool around some pillars supporting a balcony , which would have been a disaster.

As with everything ...you get what you pay for

I have a few blocks of land in the San Sai and Doi Saket areas. You are welcome to install a pool on my land if you wish. I'd even let you use it occasionally.

Pools are expensive as they are a luxury item here, all the fittings, filters, pumps, etc., are imported and attract high levels of tax. THB500,000 is at the low end of the market.

There is a bit more to just digging a hole and dropping a fibreglass shell into it. I think you'll find all the pools here a brick lined with steel reinforcing and concrete. Getting the correct blend on concrete for a leakproof pool is not the same as pouring a cement slab for a footpath or driveway.

And bear in mind the cost does not stop there.

A pool is a hole in the ground into which you pour money.

And all those who swore to spend their leisure time keeping it immaculate will be unavailable and it will be you with the vacuumer in your hand.

I speak from 20 years former pool owning experience.

Agree with above post, as I have an 11x6 pool, built 5 yrs ago and will sell it for 250Kbaht....but you gotta move it yourself.

On a more serious note, I can recomend a contractor near the bo sang/doi saket area that will build for a much more reasonable price than you'll get from any pool contractor. Before I settled on him, I had a couple of 'pool contractors' [sharks, they are] bid at 2x my friend's bid. It came out good.

PM me your contact if interested..........

Naam does have the right idea with an indoor pool. Much less maintenance, chemicals etc. I did somewhat of a compromise with a 90% shade cloth covering 80% of my pool. Made a great difference and can now swim comfortably and water temp is down by 5 degrees at least.

Point being that in the northern latitudes, we seek the sun...here I avoid the sun as much as possible.

it will be you with the vacuumer in your hand.

not this one :o

is that a marbel floor? please keep in mind that the decking around the pool should not marbel,,, way to slippery

we have no problems waking on it with bare feet even when getting out of the pool. it gets however very slippery fwhen wearing rubber sandals after the floor was wet-wiped and hasn't dried yet.

p.s. the expression "pool decking" does not apply. the area is our alternative living room :D

Naam does have the right idea with an indoor pool. Much less maintenance, chemicals etc. I did somewhat of a compromise with a 90% shade cloth covering 80% of my pool. Made a great difference and can now swim comfortably and water temp is down by 5 degrees at least.

Point being that in the northern latitudes, we seek the sun...here I avoid the sun as much as possible.

both the Mrs and me hate the sun. that's why we selected Thailand where the sun hardly shines :o joke aside; the reason was of course not to save on maintenance/chemicals but having a shaded area with total privacy. when i built a near identical home 15 years ago in Florida my neighbours called me "the mad dog German". but when the home was finished and they were invited for snacks and drinks in a nice shaded area all them changed their minds.

both the Mrs and me hate the sun. that's why we selected Thailand where the sun hardly shines :o joke aside; the reason was of course not to save on maintenance/chemicals but having a shaded area with total privacy. when i built a near identical home 15 years ago in Florida my neighbours called me "the mad dog German". but when the home was finished and they were invited for snacks and drinks in a nice shaded area all them changed their minds.

The total privacy area sounds nice. When the Mrs is a way you could invite a few lady friends from your favorite drinking spot around for a frolic in the pool. :D

The total privacy area sounds nice. When the Mrs is a way you could invite a few lady friends from your favorite drinking spot around for a frolic in the pool. :D

i have no drinking spot, let alone a favourite one and therefore no lady friends. besides, i abhor the thought of other people peeing in our pool :D

• 2 weeks later...