Snake Identification

yabaaaa

This is a red tailled pipe snake of the Cylindrophis family. I have had several of them and they are completely harmless and would never bite. They are not a super hardy snake and are better off left in moist wet areas. They will eat fish and other small things.

This is a red tailled pipe snake of the Cylindrophis family. I have had several of them and they are completely harmless and would never bite. They are not a super hardy snake and are better off left in moist wet areas. They will eat fish and other small things.

Agree with you.

Thread starter, please check out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrophiidae

Agree with you.

Thread starter, please check out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrophiidae

Hi thats great found out at last sure looks highley likely. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a snake that perhaps one of you experts can identify. I have not had any luck. A very pretty coloration.

post-3361-1226159656_thumb.jpg

Actually a friend encountered this one on a trail near Mae Hong Son. It was over a meter in length and about the size of a mans wrist. It didn't run and tried to strike a couple times. Anyone know? :o

• 1 month later...
Here is a snake that perhaps one of you experts can identify. I have not had any luck. A very pretty coloration.

Actually a friend encountered this one on a trail near Mae Hong Son. It was over a meter in length and about the size of a mans wrist. It didn't run and tried to strike a couple times. Anyone know? :o

I think the original snake is a species of Wolf Snake and this green one is definitely a Red Tailed Green Racer (Gonyosoma oxycephalum).

GR.

I think the original snake is a species of Wolf Snake and this green one is definitely a Red Tailed Green Racer (Gonyosoma oxycephalum).

GR.

Wolfsnake - http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_lycodon.html

Racer - http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_gonyosoma.html

GR.

• 5 months later...

I vote mangrove snake... seems the tail has been chopped off too?

Anyone know this snake, its very small looks a bit like one of those blind snakes but with more colouring? Thanks not sure if head has been chopped off or not, wife just showed me the photo.

• 1 year later...

We do snake identification courses and the first snake shown in this thread seems to be a pipe snake (not dangerous).

When doing snake shows we tell lay people that it is not possible (as lay people) to tell snakes apart

(at species level) at a glance and that it is best to assume all may be dangerous if they bite.

We also tell people that unless they try to pick the things up, then the risk of

bite is ridiculously small.

Anyway, I have gotta go and clean out the Taipan cages (yes they are the world's deadliest snake!).

All the best

Anyone know this snake, its very small looks a bit like one of those blind snakes but with more colouring? Thanks not sure if head has been chopped off or not, wife just showed me the photo.

it's a red tailed pipe snake, not venomous.

While we're at it, is this a Naga Cobra? We seem to have a few every year around my house. I try to let them go away, but my dog doesn't. This one got away, but my dog has killed a few of these, as well as a few other species. Thanks, Jimi

post-44146-069589800 1281469283_thumb.jp

Edited by Jimi007

Peterbigeyes the snake in the video is a large Olive Python, (grow to about 3 meters) and native to Australia (not Thailand).

We breed them here and I'll post a photo of a pair of them mating in a carrying box, that I took recently.

Normally they don't bite, but their teeth are sharp as razors, especially when the snakes are small (as in baby).

By the way, when they mate they do it for about 24 hours non-stop and without performance enhancing drugs.

All the best

The Snake man

Raymond Hoser

Snakebusters

reptile display

post-111392-097705200 1281961338_thumb.j

These are other photos of a mangrove snake. Mangrove snakes are venomous, but not deadly. Their fangs are further back in their mouth.

Cobra_023.sized.jpg

Cobra_030.jpg

Humph you cant call yourself a man till youv'e wrestled with one of these fellas!!!

post-66436-029021000 1281993581_thumb.jp

Humph you cant call yourself a man till youv'e wrestled with one of these fellas!!!

Hmmm... thats interesting.

If i'm not mistaken it looks very similar to the, now quite uncommon, non-venomous species draughtious excludeious

last saw one of those in my grannies house 30+yrs ago.. very docile, hardly moved from the base of the living room door for some reason.. (especially on cold nights..?)

hers was a different colour though.. (they can be highly variable & come in many forms) ..its body was weirdly tartan patterned & its eyes were glassy gold and green. it was also wearing a miniature black rimmed straw hat.. oh, and if you shoved a dirty great battery up its bum (at least, i think thats where it went i was only young at the time) then shook the bizzare looking serpent from side to side... it flippin well talked ! ...:o... (i forget the actual words it spoke now... although i do recall 'aarrghh' not being one of them)

ahh.... the memories.. must have been the spark for my lifelong obsession with the natural world ...:rolleyes:

Jimi007 user_popup.png, yes it's a Naja Cobra.

best advice is don't get bitten!

Full name - Naja kaouthia - Monacled cobra - dirt common in all of Thailand (or at least most).

As you probably know, they run away if you give them a chance.

All the best

Snakeman Raymond Hoser

Snakebusters

Reptile shows, reptile incursions

Not sure how much business you are going to generate for your shows in Australia by using ThaiVisa for free advertising.

Jimi007 user_popup.png, yes it's a Naja Cobra.

Reptile shows, reptile incursions

Not sure how much business you are going to generate for your shows in Australia by using ThaiVisa for free advertising.

Business isn't the issue, but we do like to give out right advice and maybe save a few snakes and people's lives.

I've got lots of friends in Thailand.

(Also I post when gass-bagging on the phone...)

ALL THE BEST

Snake man Raymond Hoser