Snake Identification

yabaaaa

Difficult without the head and belly markings. Possibly a juvenile King Cobra if it had a pale belly or a Bridle snake.

Pity that it was killed, left alone all snakes will just go away by themselves. dam_n humans just get into fits of panic, waving sticks and knives, throwing stones at the poor creatures. Stupid behaviour. Just give them some room to get away and they will quickly go, never to be seen again.

Anyone know this snake, its very small looks a bit like one of those blind snakes but with more colouring? Thanks not sure if head has been chopped off or not, wife just showed me the photo.

Its a Banded Krait! Lucky its heads missing... very poisonous. But very shy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_krait

Could be, but not so sure, the krait has a distinct triangular shaped body, which I can't see from the photo, and the bands are much broader.

But I'm not an expert...

Anyone know this snake, its very small looks a bit like one of those blind snakes but with more colouring? Thanks not sure if head has been chopped off or not, wife just showed me the photo.

I saw this aleady and discounted it the bands are not complete in any way, as for other comments about the "idiot" who killed it I have no idea how it died or who killed it but you shouldnt jump to conclusions I could have said it had just bitten someone and then it would be wise to kill it for identification at the hospital. Anymore ideas? Anyone? I can see nothing resembling it so i will look up the other posters suggestions on it being an echinoderm. Checked this too and it does not resemble these. Thinking it may be a very young snake as it was quite small

Edited by yabaaaa

I believe it to be Ramphotyphlops lineatus but I cannot find a photo of one , this is a banded blind snake harmless and comes from Thailand. I dont think the head has been cut off they look like they have no heads similar to other blind snakes.

I must be married to an idiot then!, this time of year after rain and then sunshine, always many snakes about.

In the last 2 weeks we have had 5 at the back of the house. They seem to like warm concrete. They do not always run away, well the cobra didn't anyway!, the others were rat snakes and a black one with a bright red tail markings.

All were dispatched by wife wielding a heavy piece of timber and then put in the yellow wheely bin, who would be a dustman?

I must be married to an idiot then!, this time of year after rain and then sunshine, always many snakes about.

In the last 2 weeks we have had 5 at the back of the house. They seem to like warm concrete. They do not always run away, well the cobra didn't anyway!, the others were rat snakes and a black one with a bright red tail markings.

All were dispatched by wife wielding a heavy piece of timber and then put in the yellow wheely bin, who would be a dustman?

i concur, your wife is a needlessly violent idiot.

Edited by t.s

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this aleady and discounted it the bands are not complete in any way, as for other comments about the "idiot" who killed it I have no idea how it died or who killed it but you shouldnt jump to conclusions I could have said it had just bitten someone and then it would be wise to kill it for identification at the hospital. Anymore ideas? Anyone? I can see nothing resembling it so i will look up the other posters suggestions on it being an echinoderm. Checked this too and it does not resemble these. Thinking it may be a very young snake as it was quite small

Please note the part (in the below pdf) that says, "Do not try to catch the snake." In order to kill a snake, one must try to catch it. Not so strangely, this "act" usually results in a snake bite.

Take a visit to the Red Cross Snake Farm on the corner of Rama IV and Henri Dupont, there's a live show outdoors and a new vivarium. Highly recommended. Last time I went it was with a seasoned snake-killer and she learned a thing or two. :o

post-65937-1220550668_thumb.jpg

It's a Mangrove Snake, (Boiga dendrophila)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiga

I second that .

Mangrove snake , Boiga dendrophila .

The head is black and the yellow subralabials have black edges . The body and tail

are glossy black with 21-41 narrow yellow

bars which do not usually meet over the back !

It occurs in Southern Thailand .

A match to me ! :o

Anyone know what this snake is?

:D Won't you ever ever make me shock at this time of the day again please ! :o

Must have scared you so much you hit a couple of wrong buttons on your keyboard. You even managed to change the spelling of my nik in the quote! :D

Yes, it`s a dead snake, killed by an idiot.

Don't worry sassienie, most farang are terrified at the snakes in Thailand and would rather get the h_ell away from one rather than try to kill it. Each time I see one I damned near have a heart attack! My friend in Phon saw a large King Cobra in his driveway and his Thai wife's father came over and killed it. I was told the Thais usually just peacefully encourage them away but I have also been told some Thais love to cook and EAT them (as my friend's neighbor did)! OMG! :o Aloy mah??? (grimace, shudder!!)

Edited by Lopburi99

I second that .

The head is black and the yellow subralabials have black edges . The body and tail

Hmmmmmmmmmm oh dear perhaps its on holiday then as this is central Bangkok??? I dont think its the mangrove snake. Good to see this is such a mysterious beast???

I second that .

Hmmmmmmmmmm oh dear perhaps its on holiday then as this is central Bangkok??? I dont think its the mangrove snake. Good to see this is such a mysterious beast???

They are primarily found throughout southeast Asia, India and Australia, but due to their extremely hardy nature and adaptability have spread to many other suitable habitats around the world.

Source: wikipedia

I really dont think its the mangrove snake.

it's definately a banded mangrove snake..

plenty of mangroves can be found around the mouth of the Chao Praya river.. Samut Prakan to bang poo for instance, equally on the other side of the river mouth..

Wouldn't be impossible for one to swim up the river into central Bangkok in a vain attempt to seek new habitat.