Bank Account Without Permanent Address

I'm moving to Thailand in September on a non-immigrant B visa. I expect to get a work permit within a month or so but, until I secure a position, I will not be settling into a permanent address. Even when I land the position, I expect to be a month or two in a serviced apartment before settling into something "permanent." I'd like to open a bank account as there are advantages to working out of a Thai account as opposed to ATMing (if that's a word) out of my US account. I can do wire transfers for nothing and avoid the fees my US bank tacks on to the transactions.

Is there a way to open an account without an address?

Thanks.

Tony

You need an address but it can be anywhere - normal passbook savings account does not involve postal mail. Checking accounts are not available without the work permit and really not needed (nobody normally accepts them).

Are you sure you can do foreign wire transfers for "nothing"? And this is done sending US Dollars? Is it due to special conditions (deposit level or such)? Am sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in your bank name if this is true,

Are you sure you can do foreign wire transfers for "nothing"? And this is done sending US Dollars? Is it due to special conditions (deposit level or such)? Am sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in your bank name if this is true,

It's a benefit of the account I have. It's with Washington Mutual Bank.

Edited by tcris52

You need to check on below condition - you want the money sent in USD - if they are requiring they change the currency being sent you could lose money.

4. For wire transfers, non-refundable foreign currency exchange charges and other banks’ fees may apply.

Actually it does look like a good bank. Be sure to set up the wire transfer agreement (if not already done) before you leave as believe all require that they be done in person. Once an agreement signed they should have a phone/fax/internet way to initiate fund transfers.

One thing I am checking on. When I did the wire transfer, I went to my branch. I'm not sure if I can do transfers if they are not in person, i.e. from Thailand. I'll let you know.