Want A Nsr Sp/fsx150 But Will 2 Strokes Be Allowed On The Road Much Longer

usrefugee

I will be moving to Chiang Mai in mid Sept and want to buy a NSR SP or FSX 150 as soon as I get there. When I was last there in 2004 I saw many of them running around, but have since read on a thread hear that the Gov might be trying to get 2 strokes off the road soon, after reading this I did a google search and came up with a little info that seemed to say this was more in the Bangkok area. So my question is if I get one for running around Chiang Mai should I expect any problems? Will I be able to get the Reg. and book switched over? Also if anyone has one to sell or knows a good place to look I would be vary interested.

You want a bike.. there one is.. and cheap too..

Up in CM many many bikes run around totally unregistered and plateless.. I would imagine its going to be a few years before they force all 2 strokes off the road. I would guess it would start in the more policed areas (bangkok / Phuket / Etc).

To answer your question, about a year ago there was news report saying that Thailand would not allow 2 strokes on the roads in the next 5 years to comply with world standards on emissions. So I would expect that you have at least 4 years left.

Hi Snakebite, could you find a link to that news article on banning 2 strokes? I have googled and could not find anything on it. I have two 2-strokes, a Yamaha TZM and a Honda NSR. I have heard on this forums the old bit about a 'rumor' that 2 strokes will be banned in Thailand in the future due to emissions. However, I have not found any concrete news article to confirm it. My take on it is that it is just a 'rumor', and I cannot see it happening. The reason I don't think it will go through is that many Thai's are not 'of means' and can't just go out and buy a brand new motorcycle. For alot of people, motorcycles are their main means of transportation (as evidenced by the 'family' on one bike). Alot of people are still riding two strokes because that is what they can afford. From my experience, the Thai government will not enact legislation that would make alot of people unhappy (at least people who are not farang). If they do ban two strokes you are going to see alot of peole complain and protest because you are taking away their only means of transportation. And it really is not necessary, as attrition will take care of most of the two strokers out there, as they wear out, and people don't want to fix them. If you are talking about two strokes being 'phased out', it may mean new bikes. And yes, you can still get a new two stroke in Thailand as I believe the Kawasaki 150 'baby ninja' is still a two stroke. The reason you don't see new NSR's is that HONDA ITSELF phased out two strokes, without any prompting on the part of the Thai government.

My opinion is that you won't be able to buy a new two stroke, but those already registered will be grandfathered in with the hopes that they will wear out and the owner will junk it. I see it as analogous to the way cars that ran on leaded gasoline in the U.S. and the rest of the world went. Cars that run on leaded gas are not outlawed in the U.S. (like vintage cars such as mustangs, old corvettes, camaros, etc.). The leaded gasoline cars are still allowed on the road.

As for you USRefugee, that NSR in Chiangmai is a smoking deal. I have never seen an NSR-SP for less (though I have seen the NSR RR'S around there) and when I have seen them they are nearly 30,000 baht. They are a bit of a collectors item in Thailand (I even know someone who managed to get it into the U.S.). It may have to do with the fact that it is in Chiangmai and alot of people don't want to deal with going up there to get a bike. But if it were me, I would jump on it.

To answer your question, about a year ago there was news report saying that Thailand would not allow 2 strokes on the roads in the next 5 years to comply with world standards on emissions. So I would expect that you have at least 4 years left.

How many laws have been talked about or passed in Thailand without any true results? Answer: Most of them.

I really wouldn't worry about this law if it is ever ratified. I suspect that there are laws about 11-year-old children speeding on motorcycles while in the wrong lane and not wearing helmets, but that sight is as common as a mangy dog on Thai roads.

Laws truly enforced in Thailand -- ha ha ha ha ha ha...

And even if they did enforce the rules, which I strongly doubt, its highly unlikely they would make them illegal overnight.. Much more likely they would raise the taxation them from the couple hundred baht annually to near a 1000 or so.. People arent going to pay that on low value bikes (which would in turn lower thier value) and it would force them out into the provinces and onto the dirt tracks, to slowly die a death.

There is a rumor that in 2010 you cannot change registration of you 2-stroke. Beginning 2009, all 2-strokes are banned from registering. It is possible that this rulings are delayed by one year, but I hear it from too much people to be a baseless.

BlackArtemis,

Police maybe not implement the rules as strict as they will do in Central-Thailand, but even in remote areas I can tell that police quickly use new rules not to get you of the road, why you are a source of income.... They let you go, next time you sponsor the party again. And you will complain on this forum that it is expensive to ride a two-stroke and police is corrupt..... And we all going to laugh at you.... with told you so.....

I can remember a guy who could help me to get my freshly imported Ducati registered for 20,000Baht, he needed to know somebody inside the customs office otherwise he would not known my cargo. People like this offer you golden mountains but what they really do is getting you into problems in the long run. I not deal with people like this, first it is not my nature to go cheap, second, I cannot afford any negativity around our business. In the end I paid almost 90,000 Baht to get my Italian imported Ducati registered in Thailand.

And I was really happy we did, because not long after we received the plates, my g/f pushed it into the side door of a Mazda pickup.... who was coming out of a private exit. One of our lawyers said that we where lucky that the bike was a official road vehicle. The situation resulted into a law suite as the insurance company refused to pay the amount of damage to a motorcycle accident... We where offered 5000 Baht by the insurance company, which would to there saying be more then enough to replace the damage. The actual damage was the whole front section of the 1098S was damage including realignment of the frame.

Our bike is fixed with original parts... and we all happy...

Actually, the whole story started that out with the insurance company not wanted to pay was because they believed the bike was not legal.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Guess I was not 100 percent clear, the value of the motorcycle has little to do with the story, what I did try to explain is that in a accident insurance companies do everything to get out of big payments.

If you on a 150cc illegal motorcycle are involved in a accident and somebody gets seriously hurt, or even dies you not have to count on your insurance to help you out. With the accident involving my g/f and a car we had to go to court to get our money... and get the bike repaired.

But 2 strokes are not yet illegal... And even if they do become illegal, its doubtful they will be immediately commanded off the road. Phased out, made harder to sell, etc..

This is a 15k bike.. Whats there to lose ?? Buy it, legally get it in your name and tax and insure it, and ride it.. If after 2 years he cant get insurance.. Sell it to someone for 10k as a 'out of town' bike..

Comparing a bike of a value of what 500k ?? 700k ?? and the need to legalize and insure.. Versus the possible problems with a currently legal old 2 stroke.. I dont see them as being in the same ballpark.

I think what Richard-BKK tried to say was the insurance company will refuse to pay in an accident, if the bike is not legal to be on the road and you e.g run into a person and kill him "WCS" you will be in big trouble, well unless you have enough bloodmoney to get out of it.

An example was an expat who was drinking and driving his Honda NSR 125 for some few years ago, he ran over a security guard who got so much damage to his head from the fall he eventually died. The price was 5 million baht in bloodmoney. (illegal driving) needless to say he ended up in jail due to lack of funding.

Another example was an expat driving a bike which was "illegal or gray" in Phuket he ran over one person who was in the street right after a turn. The person went to hospital but luckily got well. Price 140k baht...

So it is a 15k bike, which is legal now, no problem buy it and get rid of it before the ban. After the ban do not drive it on the road.

BlackArtemis,

Police maybe not implement the rules as strict as they will do in Central-Thailand, but even in remote areas I can tell that police quickly use new rules not to get you of the road, why you are a source of income.... They let you go, next time you sponsor the party again. And you will complain on this forum that it is expensive to ride a two-stroke and police is corrupt..... And we all going to laugh at you.... with told you so.....

I can remember a guy who could help me to get my freshly imported Ducati registered for 20,000Baht, he needed to know somebody inside the customs office otherwise he would not known my cargo. People like this offer you golden mountains but what they really do is getting you into problems in the long run. I not deal with people like this, first it is not my nature to go cheap, second, I cannot afford any negativity around our business. In the end I paid almost 90,000 Baht to get my Italian imported Ducati registered in Thailand.

And I was really happy we did, because not long after we received the plates, my g/f pushed it into the side door of a Mazda pickup.... who was coming out of a private exit. One of our lawyers said that we where lucky that the bike was a official road vehicle. The situation resulted into a law suite as the insurance company refused to pay the amount of damage to a motorcycle accident... We where offered 5000 Baht by the insurance company, which would to there saying be more then enough to replace the damage. The actual damage was the whole front section of the 1098S was damage including realignment of the frame.

Our bike is fixed with original parts... and we all happy...

Actually, the whole story started that out with the insurance company not wanted to pay was because they believed the bike was not legal.

Not if my troubles magically disappear :shrug:

Thank you for the replies, but since no one knows for sure if and when this may happen I think I will go with the NSR as it seems to still be a legal bike for the now. If and when it becomes illegal I will take it off the road, 30k baht if I get a year or 2 out of it is not a big deal. The one poasted in the link is an RR with a SP fairing, and I need that little extra boost with the SP for my fat a*s