PAD Lay Siege On Government House, NBT TV Station

george

Samak asks 30 senators: Will you stand naked in Parliament?

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej severely criticised 30 senators for siding with the anti-government protesters.

He asked them whether they would show their "true colours" during a special parliamentary debate Sunday afternoon.

"Will you stand naked in front of the people in Parliament this afternoon?" Samak asked during his Talk Samak Style programme on NBT.

He said the senators should have been ashamed of themselves for visiting the protesters at the Government House.

The Nation

Oh I like this one. He should of included the Democrats that were there yesterday as well.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sounfd like a man submitting his resigination today to me. There is a real wild card out there now, the DADD I think is the name anyway pro goverment protestors. The don't have to answer to the public.

"Samak lambasts security officials of Phuket airport

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday lambasted security officials of the Phuket International Airport for failing to prevent protesters from shutting down the airport.

Spekaing during his live talk programme on NBT, Samak said the protesters were unarmed so the security officials, who have been trained to cope with terrorists, should have removed them from the airport.

He said the protest at the airport damaged Thailand's reputation as the most favourite tourist destination.

He said the protesters also affected the economy of their own province.

The Nation"

Blames others for doing what he did... :o

What you said has merit, but now let's talk about the real world as it relates to Thailand (this is a Thai forum after all). The last two elected governments have been thrown out (OK, the second one is on the way of being thrown out). The first one by the military and this one by the people. So, what kind of democracy is this? Perhaps a different one than we are used to and therefore one requiring a different structure until it develops further.

My "modest" proposal would help us get there. It forces education to become a priority while for the time being, mitigates the threat of power groups seeking to overthrow the next government and then the next government. The value of education gets elevated in the eyes of local village headman and heads of families as it creates a brand new incentive. If you can vote you can elect people that further your needs.

I realize the quality of education is a completely different issue, however, the more people get their minds around getting an education, they more they will learn about the type of education they should seek.

Nothing is perfect, but this elect a government - remove a government BS is getting old. Finding things wrong with proposals is fine, but come up with other solutions instead of saying this won't work and that won't work. What we have now doesn't work, that I can say for sure.

You are failing to understand the concept of democracy, and on top of that you are making some sweeping value judgements about the less educated.

If you keep the common man from voting, it is feudalism even if you dress it up like democracy. Fuedalism is the ball and chain keeping Thailand in this banana republic identity; when by now, it could be competing with progressive Asian nations.

The reason for this recent protest is that the big money Thais, can't accept they are equal in rights to the farmers, so they keep shaking the tree until someone that will look after their personal ambition ends up in power. It is not because less educated people choose badly. They are choosing very well because by their experience the TRT and the PPP have made some effort to consider what they need. Were the last two elected governments corrupt? yes of course, but they all have been corrupt, so the point is moot.

Put in a condition of education requirement to vote and you will ensure Fuedal policies and exploitation of the lower classes for another 50 years.

Thailand needs nothing more than lift it's self deluded head out of bronze age policies and start a massive education and integrity initiative. Wouldn't it be great if diligence and integrity were considered values here instead of face and geneology.

I agree with your post. I think it is also important to note that there were no demonstrations in support of TRT after the coup. I think that is because it was a military government that did not allow protests or allow assembly. There was also heavy censorship. Anyone who spoke out against the coup could have been shot.

I'd be willing to bet money that if the PAD get their way and the elites (via PAD or the military) are able to force out the popular choice of the people to install their own feudal proxy the reaction this time to the military intervention (or whomever is the 'force') will face a much different response than last time. My guess is people won't be scared - and there will be fury. The lone taxi driver who drove his cab into that tank a year ago will be seen as a martyr of the last coup - and this time around they'd be doing a lot more than driving cabs at tanks. The feudals really need to stop and think about this. It's time to end this threat of an end to democracy and stop ignoring the legitimate needs and aspirations of the masses. It's inevitable that the masses will win eventually - whether this year, next year or a few years from now. Why don't the elites take a page from their own book and try to reconcile rather than try to force their minority position on th rest of the country? Before it's too late..

Well said Radio City Mike. I think thats exactly what will happen.

Edited by ubonjoe

ThaiPaulys post looks rather arrogant to me

i thought his post was the most relevant one on the thread.

read some of the nonsense being spouted by individuals who have no understanding of what is going on.

most thais cant fathom thai politics , so how can foreigners here develop their own opinions of the situations.

unless they can read and understand the thai press , which very few can , then they are just repeating what they have been told by others or what they have read in the papers.

foreigners cannot do anything to alter the situation here , apart from the intelligent analysis and reporting by a very small group of posters the level of drivel on this thread is astounding.

Don't you just love these posters who "know and understand" everything while the rest of us are "repeating what they have been told by others"?

So, smarty pants who, I assume from the his/her post, CAN read the Thai press, so of course he/she is fully informed and understands the situation better than any of us illiterate idiots, sneers at other folks opinions. Well, I can understand that. After all, the Thai press is free and not prone to spewing out its own or its instructed political agenda, unlike every other bloody newspaper in the world. Twerp.

I agree there is a load of ill informed crap on the forum. It's called free speech, pal.

Samak said the protesters were unarmed so the security officials, who have been trained to cope with terrorists

Samak clearly sees the protesters as terrorists and as in previous attempts of uprisings, his preferred method of controlling this has been mowing them down with guns. Worked twice for him (1976 and 1992), three times is the charm?

This needs to be resolved quickly, or there is only one possible ending. And this will damage the image of Thailand more than "just" closed airports.

Edited by jts-khorat

For those that think the PAD will go home because they are tired I suggest you follow this link to Australia's international news channel SBS. It shows Protesters being fed and even handed out vitamins. There is even a medical unit set up in cse of injury. If indeed they are also being paid a daily fee then why would they go home? They look pretty comfortable to me.They are also subject to constant speeches and ra ra and you know if your told something often enough there is a brain wash effect. this link isn't direct so click on watch videoes (top right page),news,aussies stuck in Thailand

http://video.sbs.com.au/player/news/index.php?chid=12

You could have once applied this to Thailand, before the realisation that it is possible to have ones own opinion and the blatant rolling of the state coffers was exposed, along with who was to benefit from it all...........................

Surprise, Surprise, they realised it was the greedy, unprincipled, brain washers. :o

Nowadays most places in the upper North, North East and in particular from a personal point of observation, yep you hit the nail on the head with this part quote of your post as the brainwashing continues at present

We now have a scenario that could if it,s not solved soon, that is and make no mistake, being orchestrated by the ex CEO of the last goverment, who was in my opinion, stopped just in time, before he had a chance to realise his dictatorial ambitions, controlling the ongoing mayhem, leaving these beloved citizens on the brink of disaster with all that is unfolding, and taking Thailand into the depths of despair.

Thank god there are those of influence who,s presence is highly respected, looking out for the protesters who some would believe are unimportant and possible human collateral to forward the selfish agenda / s.

They are not, in any way, complimentry to Thailands good in futuristic terms and only care about short term enrichment and changing the constitution to allow them to escape the newfound ability to punish and encarcerate them, and rightly so.

May the Voters he has and is still brainwashing via his bought / paid for, ( from his war chest of stolen country assets ect.ect. ) so called leaders of the the local communities, wise up and genuinely start caring for their beloved country, and not their greedy selfish selves while accepting their 50 satangs worth of bribery.

Yes, we all know it,s a few baht more, but this figure i quote is purposely meant to cheapen the acceptance of such, by those who are not starving and still don,t give a sh*t about what is taking place.

I for one by the way refuse to accept we can do nothing and should therefore keep out of it all, Children , Wives and Family Obligatiions would not, first of all allow me to do this and second, i was not brought up to ignore the plight and abuse of others, especially by unprincipled scum that should have been in jail long, long ago.

Don,t give me the crap that this is Thailand, to justify the actions of the chosen few and expcect me to walk away from my responsibities, like many of our caring, principled members we will not, so perhaps as in all cases where one can choose, if the involvement of Non Thais, with Family Ties are considered unworthy and useless....

Don,t read, let alone post on the thread and just like the old television, change the channel / thread and go onto something you obviously approve of non Thais doing, may a humbly suggest one of the sport related threads for starters. :D

Then again the B*S*A*D who is responsible for the present state of the country, is also underminding this as well, with his questionable connections to a certain footbal club.

Sadly while ever he remains the owner, both sport / football wise, that is, and politics Thai wise cannot be seperated.

Now that must be a real pain in the arse for the unfortunate supporters of the club, but also for many others who love the game and reside here in Thailand.

Just maybe certain members will be sleeping / have slept a bad hangover, kick the dog sort of day, off and will wake up in a better mood.

Choice, if nothing else, you must agree, we can get on our beloved Thai Visa Forum.

marshbags :D

Hear hear. Good post.

Samak said the protesters were unarmed so the security officials, who have been trained to cope with terrorists

Samak clearly sees the protesters as terrorists and as in previous attempts of uprisings, his preferred method of controlling this has been mowing them down with guns. Worked twice for him (1976 and 1992), three times is the charm?

This needs to be resolved quickly, or there is only one possible ending. And this will damage the image of Thailand more than "just" closed airports.

You are quoting only part of the story.

The events out of the past will not happen again in this country. Thailand has changed a lot since then and the situation now is a lot different.

PAD did NOT try and become a party or a government after 2006,

which would have been a perfect opportunity to do so. Why one must ask if their aim is to 'take over the country'

as many seem to imply here? Seems a stretch.

Because they wouldn't have won and might have had to try and figure out some coherent policies instead of continuing their vendetta against Thaksin and his allies.

Not being able to win the whole show doesn't stop DOZENS of parties in Thailand

from running on their little platforms.

PAD would likely not have been able to take the majority, but theu could have won seats then

and gotten likely enough to gain one cabinet post.

But they chose NOT to run.

Because the people of Thailand don't want to vote for elitist/feudalist parties. Get it now? Perhaps if If I write it using your style you'll understand, animatic?

There can be no Democracy, without me - you see?

When the elite flex their muscles hoping we will quake with fear,

We shall rise up to their challenge, hear, hear.

The PAD have no support, except the money of feudals..

My Lord, we know PAD are nothing but Poodles.

Their claims of loyalty are tiresome to me.

I was hoping they too would get tired, and just leave things be.

But no - Sondhi and sidekick are looking like clowns, and the elites

Who back them will not get their way - wait and see!

The game is not over - don't think for a second!

One person - one vote it's democacracy that beckons

So return to your retired homestead and turn off the light

In the long run, the masses will rise - the feudals will never, ever win this fight.

Edited by thaigene2

The first major step is to get rid of that stupid system called democracy. One man, one vote. What a ridiculous concept! The second step is to make sure that the schools remain underfunded. It would be a disaster for the elite if the majority of the people were NOT kept ignorant. The wealthy elite stay on the top and they enjoy riding on the backs of the poor.

The first major step is to get rid of that stupid system called democracy. One man, one vote. What a ridiculous concept! The second step is to make sure that the schools remain underfunded. It would be a disaster for the elite if the majority of the people were NOT kept ignorant. The wealthy elite stay on the top and they enjoy riding on the backs of the poor.

Well said

Unless somebody doesn't understand your intent.

I am in Phuket, so maybe my view is a little bit more personal.

The only thing that comforts me is that in the end it is the local Phuket Thais themselves that create this mess and they will have to dig themselves back out again afterwards; not a coup in faraway Bangok or some other extrernal influence. No sympathy for them from me if they are too short-sighted to leave their own golden goose alone.

But my full sympathy is for the tourists that got stuck here, people do have lives outside of their holidays. So, animatic, you do know you are an idiot!

Me too, and from now on, every time a Thai seller gives me the sob story, says how business is bad, asks for a tip.. I am going to remind them how they stood by and let the PAD close the airports.

They make thier bed.. I hope they are just as happy when they have to lie in it.

Govt Defiant

By The Sunday Nation

Published on August 31, 2008

Samak returned to Bangkok yesฌterday evening after a muchanticiฌpated audience with HM the King. Dozens of reporters waited for him but the prime minister managed to elude them by getting off the plane at a difฌferent location.

Earlier in the day, Samak had said he sought an audience with HM the King to brief him on the rising politiฌcal tensions following the ongoing protests. He was apparently trying to quash rumours that his audience with the King signalled an intention to step down.

"I will not back down and will not resign as demanded by the protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy. I will continue my duties for the sake of the country. I am appointed as a prime minster by the laws, so if I have to quit, I will quit according to the laws, not because of threats from protesters."

The premier flew to Klai Kangwon Palace late on Friday night, expecting to be granted an audience with HM the King. However, he reportedly failed to do so and returned to Bangkok yesฌterday morning. He then returned to Klai Kanwon Palace yesterday afternoon.

Now did he or did he not get the audience. Thai news at its best...

But this fits my earlier posts, this deafening silence from behind those walls which gave the coup their endorsement (after the fact) speaks volumes to me. Backing of his party and coalition partners seems to hold little weight compared to this.

The airport occupation has alienated some PAD members in Phuket who were upset that the province's tourism was being affected. Some have disowned the movement and called for an end to the closure.

LOL, why am I not surprised? Hits a bit too close to home...

Everybody faces making sacrifices at times... and more so now....

It's 21.35 now and I just got some important news, (but as yet unconfirmed). A colleague tried to drive their car off Phuket Island and over the Sarasin Bridge which connects Phuket with the mainland (PhangNga province). however, they were turned back by PAD protesters who have shut the bridge!

I can only confirm this by driving up to the bridge - so I might do this and report back.

Simon

no airport, no bridge....Phuket faces isolation.... perhaps dissolving Parliament is warranted

This of course ignoring the 10,000 boats encircling the island LOL.

And tourists can't get out as well as can't get in. Status quo for tourists.

Don't worry folks we'll extend your reservation, and the daily rate.

Maybe the season is so low they want more coming in.

Well so far no sign Suvarnabumi is being affected.

I am in Phuket, so maybe my view is a little bit more personal.

The only thing that comforts me is that in the end it is the local Phuket Thais themselves that create this mess and they will have to dig themselves back out again afterwards; not a coup in faraway Bangok or some other extrernal influence. No sympathy for them from me if they are too short-sighted to leave their own golden goose alone.

But my full sympathy is for the tourists that got stuck here, people do have lives outside of their holidays. So, animatic, you do know you are <snip>

I never called you names.

I was using sarcasm, and not personal abuse.

It seems the moderators are either a triffle biased the last 24 hours or overwhelemed.

I never implied that blocking the bridge was good.

But I did note that isolated it is not.

I did comment that it would be easy enough to get out if you want to,

and mini busses are available all over Thailand,

so if one MUST get back the Suvarnabhumi, you can.

Yes it certainly IS the local Thais that are doing this.

One must wonder WHY they feel so strongly motivated to do this.

Or do you feel they are all idiots; like you say I am?

If you don't like the message shoot the messenger,

if you don't like the comments, stiffle the commentator.

Sounds JUST like Dr. T.'s use of the law to stiffle dissent while he was in office.

Maybe I should file a 1 Billion Baht suit against you for

impugning my dignity and intelligence.

See how abusurd this is...

Edited by Crow Boy
removal of quoted flame

The purpose of civil disobedience is to provoke a response. If PAd connot get one they will have to go home. So things will escalate or be settled through compromise.

Sounds like they need to change the law to make it harder to change the constitution. Like in the US two thirds of the states must radify the change within a certain time period.

Not unlike (on a much smaller scale- mps in a western country voting themselves wages- and you know what- we allow them to do that. We just don't vote for them next time-

You don't seem to appreciate the danger of a political party that wants to change the constitution to allow votebuying.

Are you for real? What are you going to do if your govenrment wants to change your constitution to turn your country into a police state? Well, they are entitled?

The proposed change won't allow vote buying as well you know. I can only assume you are trying to mislead people. The change just would not dissolve the whole party for it.

And THAT little line opens the flood gates again.

And if they get that far, why stop and just repeal the whole thing.

Neuter the election commission too.

If the parties don't fall for institutiojnalized vote buying,

there is NO INCCENTIVE for them to stop it.

PPP still engaged in vote buying even though the penalty was dissolution and their previous party had been dissolved before. Removing this penalty will just lead to another free-for-all. If they don't want to be dissolved they should stop buying votes! Politicians that buy votes have absolutely no place in a democracy.

It's amazing how many people from so-called 'mature democracies' think that 'getting elected' is a license for fraud.

Desperate men taking desperate actions,

and risking the lives of so many little people to do it.

Shameful to be sure.

Yes, only too true sadly. This is the problem with people like Sondhi and Panlop, they don't care who gets hurt in the pursuit of their own personal revenge. Desperate men indeed....good post animatic

What hurt me most is media's behaviour: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said what hurt him most was the media's taking side with and praise of the People's Alliance for Democracy.

"I would like to issue my complaint here to the people nationwide to be cautious when consuming news from the media," Samak said.

He said the media should have thought about the national interest instead of siding with a group of people.

The Nation

I did comment that it would be easy enough to get out if you want to

Yes it certainly IS the local Thais that are doing this.

One must wonder WHY they feel so strongly motivated to do this.

Quite a practical approach, families with kids going by super-overpriced minibus to Bangkok, and then fight it out with their airlines to get a ticket form there back home... have you heard the prices they quote here (it is supply and demand after all). Maybe put yourself in their shoes and leave your sarcasm at home, it is not much better than name-calling.

Somebody sure needs to wonder why local residents would feel so strongly. I would believe that it is the typical Thai short-sightedness, as even after the tsunami and the coup tourists simply came again. So in a sense, I do believe that the Thais act against their own self-interest here. You put the label 'idiot' on that, other people might have other labels to describe such beaviour.

The purpose of civil disobedience is to provoke a response. If PAd connot get one they will have to go home. So things will escalate or be settled through compromise.

Sounds like they need to change the law to make it harder to change the constitution. Like in the US two thirds of the states must radify the change within a certain time period.

Hmmm. I like that. Any change to the constitution must be ratified by 2/3 of the provinces. That seems like a good idea. But, the devil is in the detail. Making this change would require a change to the constitution. Catch 22. And what about previous controversial changes. Would there be a requirement that they would be retroactively ratified? Its like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

Well, we do know that a Bangkok University poll published last week found that 75% of respondents were opposed to the PAD's occupational tactics of comandeering airports, streets, etc..and wanted them to go home. How's that?

I'd say "that" is &lt;deleted&gt; little.

PAD's protest activities disapproved by majority

BANGKOK: - More than 70 per cent of the people condemned the People's Alliance for Democracy for its Tuesday's protest activities, Bangkok University Poll said on Wednesday.

Was that another of those famous polls where they question 23 people and call that a majority opinion.

A survey of their surveys reveals your facetious number isn't really all that far off from the literal number...

The Bangkok University survey covered 1,985 adult residents of the city

Bangkok University revealed the survey was conducted on June 28th and 29th, and the samples comprised 1,116 people

The Bangkok University's Bangkok Poll, interviewed 1,228 people living in Bangkok

Oh yes SJ... I guess all these people in the offices, countryside, and who work through out this are really in full support of this mob....

I'm not saying they do or they don't'... just that in the absence of definitive polling, "public sentiment" and "majority opinions" are whatever individuals experience in their own individual environment.

Thai polls, eg. Bangkok U. and Assumption U., in case you're unaware, have been universally panned as notoriously inaccurate....

a friend of mine has confirmed that the sarasin bridge is still open and there are (so far) no plans to close it. this info has come from the police.

N.B. Donna posted the above a short while ago in a Phuket thread

The bridge is not closed

Does anyone remember that wonderful 'Thaksinism' of "You shouldn't criticse me, I am the country's Leader"?!? They really think they walk on water:

How dare you, media, speculate my resignation?: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday asked the media how there it speculated his resignation.

"How dared you, media, think that I would resign after I was granted an audience with His Majesty the King?" Samak asked.

He said he had told them before he left for the audience with His Majesty but the media still speculated his resignation.

He said the media should note that he has been given ten audiences with His Majesty and nothing happened.

The Nation

Edited by Crushdepth

104 pages of bullshite...the only things worth reading are the factual things that are reported.

As "Farangs" you can have absolutely NO INFFLUENCE on what happens here...you are all guests of the Thai Authorities.

I have been on TV for years but don't comment on anything that I have no influence over,,,so you all flame each other, argue, and MISS THE POINT.

You are wasting your time and taking up valuable space on TV with your drivel...you can't control what's going down and you don't have a say in it.

If this was happening in your own country then your comments would be worthwhile...but this IS NOT your homeland, so why do you waste valuable space saying "Shoot them, &lt;deleted&gt; them...kick him out" ...you CANNOT do it, so just LEAVE IT ALONE..listen to the news and..

&lt;deleted&gt; ( I'm sure you know what that means)

I NEVER get involved in Political &lt;deleted&gt; as i know I cannot change things...maybe some of you think you are special...but I doubt it.

Listen to the Thai People like the good lady that owns City Life in Chiang Mai.....she is upset about what is happening in HER country, but it is HER COUNRTY, not yours..so BUT OUT...listen to the news and make your plans accordingly

Disaster of a post you made here TP - I'll say it out straight.

I doubt there's a poster on here that is blind to the fact how much they influence the situation here, but when events occur in the in the world, I (like most other human beings) have an opinion on them, and sometimes I feel the need to share this opinion. Communication ya see - top drawer stuff. Just like I talk about current events with both Thai and Farang friends over a beer or ten, I also like to read opinions and post opinions of other people beyond my usual realm. Enter the TV News Forum.

And you know what? I've not heard one Thai person *ever* telling me to "BUT OUT" when talking about the political situation with them. Not one. If anything, it's usually the utter opposite. Just like learning the language people are pleased that you're taking an active interest in the current affairs of the country you choose to live in.

And as for the "valuable space", the contents of this thread in bytes so far could easily be compared to two or three pics in the "Hot Bum / Good Ass Thread". Choices choices.

Sorry, I was tucked up in bed (next to the reason why I care about this Country so much :D ) when TP made his profound observations :o

Well, ThaiPauly, you certainly managed to bring us all together, some wonderful posts from Insight, Globalj, et al, all of whom will probably not heed your request to &lt;deleted&gt;. From your avatar it would appear that your ability to reason is somewhat limited, so maybe you could move over to the "Hot Bum/Good Ass Thread".

I never called you names.

I was using sarcasm, and not personal abuse.

It seems the moderators are either a triffle biased the last 24 hours or overwhelemed.

Not biased but are overwhelmed but the volume of posts. Many of them contain valid information and points of view but have flames or insults embedded in them.

We are faced with the dilemma of how much should we edit of these posts. Delete any that say "you are an idiot" etc or let the thead go because it is important and has a direct impact on everyone of us who live in, visit and care about this country.

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

It is most certainly the old order vs the new order.

The old post feudal barons vs the new modern kleptocratic barons.

Either way they are both steeling from the pockets of the little people.

The old guard has to know things are changing,

but maybe things were changing too fast and

in a too out of control fashion and the need to slow

the change to some more thoughtful speed was felt.

Supposition.

Certainly Dr. T. went overboard while in office cloaked in modernity,

but acting pretty much like the old guard, just in new clothes.

Regardless this is still the fight of Dr. T. vs the old guard over his cash.

And there is a whole lot of Face at stake too.

So you can lambast and parody me all you like. Makes little difference.

It is not about modernization vs going back to the old ways,

it is about controlling the TRANSITION to modern ways.

The transition is inevitable, how it gets there is equally important.

EX/IM Bank, Rachadapisek, Excise taxes for Shin, Hidden assets, Temasek:

he over reached and the old guard clearly feels

he embarrassed Thailand in the process to enrich himself.

As opposed to quietly doing it behind the scenes.

Face lost must be regained.

ThaiPaulys post looks rather arrogant to me

i thought his post was the most relevant one on the thread.

read some of the nonsense being spouted by individuals who have no understanding of what is going on.

most thais cant fathom thai politics , so how can foreigners here develop their own opinions of the situations.

unless they can read and understand the thai press , which very few can , then they are just repeating what they have been told by others or what they have read in the papers.

foreigners cannot do anything to alter the situation here , apart from the intelligent analysis and reporting by a very small group of posters the level of drivel on this thread is astounding.

I could not agree more :D

The number of "journalists" and Foreign Political analysts on this thread astound me :o

I live here with my family, whatever happens it will be 'same s##t, different day'. Yet all I see on here is farang berating farang with neither having a real clue about whats going on :D

SJ, you are the exception..keep it coming :D

2. The Bangkoko PAD movement is a huge movement like those of other 'popular revolutions' (e.g. Philippines, Poland, etc) that sweeps up people from all walks of life and is a legitimate body to force and elected Government from office. Conclusion: First, TRT and PPP were popularly elected Governments with the former enjoying a huge majority - these other examples involved unrepresentative military governments or other styles of dicatorships (e.g. communist).

for the record, Marcos was freely elected into office... things soured, but he was again elected into office.

He was neither a "unrepresentative military government" nor a "communist".

He was, however, a "dictator"... an elected one who developed into that role after democracy voted him in initially... same, same as square-head... there's more than a few direct similarities between the two.

General warning to all

This thread is important and affects all of us. It is natural that people will have opposing views and that is why the rules of this forum are so important. Every member has the right to post their views and comment BUT and this is important we must all abide by the rules of conduct.

Comments such as "you are an idiot" are not acceptable and I will no longer edit them out. People who do this will be suspended and consequently lose their right to participate in this thread. The choice is simple, write your posts with thought and consideration of the facts not vitriol. If you disagree say "I disagree with your post for these reasons .............." not "you are a moron and don't deserve to live here"

Lastly anyone seeing a post they believe has broken the rules should report it for action by the moderators NOT reply in the thread

regards

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

Hmmm. I like that. Any change to the constitution must be ratified by 2/3 of the provinces. That seems like a good idea. But, the devil is in the detail. Making this change would require a change to the constitution. Catch 22. And what about previous controversial changes. Would there be a requirement that they would be retroactively ratified? Its like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

They could make it a referendum voted on by all the people. One person one vote. Or could be put to a vote by the provincial governments